Dumb question time. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-30-2018, 09:07 PM

Dumb question time.

Uh how does one stop grip medallions that have loosened up form spinning? I tried what I thought were obvious fixes (Hammer, hammer+punch, staking punch, yelling at it) but the things still want to rotate, especially the left side one. I noticed this in a picture I just posted up in another thread and it's bothering me a lot more than it probably should.

Note the birds front-most wing pointing down instead of level, it's bothering me way more than it should.......the other side is also slightly loose but it's main problem is the coating is almost gone from friction under recoil. Should I just bite it and send these grips in to have Wilson change them to new ones since apparently I can't stake some metal legs?
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 PM

That is exactly why I don't own any of Bill's firearms.

The quality just sucks!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 PM

If they are Factory grip and factory medallion installed by Wilson Send them back I don't foresee Wilson having and issue replacing them..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure Wilson will take care of you if you call them. The likely fix is that the underside of the grip panels have a slight channel that the tangs of the grip medallions ride in, and they weren't cut deep enough by VZ to hold the tangs very well - a slight deepening of those channels so that the tangs sit deeper to prevent rotation should take care of it; but I would check with Wilson first to be sure that they will cover the grip panels if that doesn't work.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:59 PM

Has happened to me on a few grips. I tried all the same tools and techniques you did. They were all temporary and didn’t hold.

My solution: black electrical tape. I positioned the medallion where I wanted it and affixed the tape. It “melds” into the medallion and tangs and holds it fine. Also removes very easily. I checked magazine release function and there is zero issue. In fact even after many range sessions they still hold.

And let’s be honest folks - it is INSIDE the gun. No one can see it, and it works.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytown1911 View Post
Has happened to me on a few grips. I tried all the same tools and techniques you did. They were all temporary and didnít hold.

My solution: black electrical tape. I positioned the medallion where I wanted it and affixed the tape. It ďmeldsĒ into the medallion and tangs and holds it fine. Also removes very easily. I checked magazine release function and there is zero issue. In fact even after many range sessions they still hold.

And letís be honest folks - it is INSIDE the gun. No one can see it, and it works.
That's a good idea, along that line of thought I have an idea to try epoxy now. I'll give it a shot at the shop tomorrow and see if it holds up, thanks!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 PM

Call Wilson and explain the problem. I'm fairly certain that they will send you new grips.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
Call Wilson and explain the problem. I'm fairly certain that they will send you new grips.
That would make me feel bad to be honest, the grips are working fine and this is just a minor cosmetic issue.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:55 PM

epoxy
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 07-31-2018, 03:10 PM

I had that with one of my Wilson SG pistols. I bought mammoth grips without mediallions, though not as low cost as just using epoxy.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:34 PM

Even though WCR said epoxy I think a dab of silicon/caulk may work and not be so permanent?
COTEP#782
Old 07-31-2018, 04:59 PM
Banned

Super Glue.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Yaworski View Post
Super Glue.
Canít remember the last time super glue worked on anything, except my fingers.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 07-31-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
canít remember the last time super glue worked on anything, except my fingers.
+1911
Old 07-31-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Too true. Humorous to mention as a one-liner, but no fun when it actually occurs.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 07-31-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
I had that with one of my Wilson SG pistols. I bought mammoth grips without mediallions, though not as low cost as just using epoxy.
Now that is problem solving! I like it.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:42 PM

I'm sorry, but seriously ? It's like the Rolex guys complaining that the logo on the crown doesn't point perfectly upward
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 08-01-2018, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
I'm sorry, but seriously ? It's like the Rolex guys complaining that the logo on the crown doesn't point perfectly upward
For what a Rolex costs, perfection is to be expected.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Wait. Wilson makes Rolex watches? In what caliber?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:35 AM

OMG your right, where's the epoxy.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Well said.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
OMG your right, where's the epoxy.

Guys on the Rolex Forum would lose their **** over that crown and send it in to Geneva to be fixed
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Super Glue.
Can’t remember the last time super glue worked on anything, except my fingers.
lol...so true
Old 08-01-2018, 02:54 PM

I can't see the crown when I'm wearing the watch. What does it matter. All I want to see is the face to know the time. I'm particular about some things, this is not one of them.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
For what a Wilson costs I would expect perfection. I would expect the same from similar tier guns. The grips are a no brainer, ask for a replacement set.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.