Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2018, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Dealing with Taurus customer service

Late last year I bought two Taurus PT-111 G2 9mm pistols. They both functioned fine during the initial break in, but then first one then the other began having serious problems with double feeds. Despite my own attempts at troubleshooting they got worse over time, so in January I finally broke down and had my LGS send them back to the mothership. Months went by and the guns just sat there. Finally I called them late last month to ask them how much longer it was going to take. After a 30 minute hold time I finally reached a live human, who advised me that the guns were close to the front of the line but it would probably be another few weeks. So another month went by, and finally this morning I had had enough and called them again. This time the hold time was 40 minutes, and when I finally reached somebody they told me the guns had been shipped back to my LGS two weeks ago (?!?). After I got off the phone I called the LGS, who confirmed the guns were there but nobody had bothered to call me that they were in.

Oh well. I went over there on my lunch break to pick them up, and it turns out after a four-month wait they simply replaced my two pistols. Because they were different guns I had to go through the paperwork and NICS all over again, despite being on break and not really having the time to do all of that. The LGS salesman gave me the guns for inspection but I threw them back in the boxes because I didn't have time to go over them.

Well, at last I'm home and I take a look at them, and they both clearly appear used. They were supposed to be new, and they have newer serial numbers, but both had several scratches in the steel that went down to bare metal. One has a small nick in the plastic frame, and on the other one the grip texturing is slightly squashed in one spot. Also the triggers are absolutely atrocious on both. I can only thank The Maker that these were both cheap pistols, because if they were expensive ones my blood pressure would be going through the roof right now. Of course I haven't even fired them yet to see if they're reliable or not, but if they're not they're both going on Gunbroker with a .01 cent starting bid and I'll try to forget the day I wasted $500 of my hard-earned money on a couple of Taurus pistols. Two lemons in a row with the same exact problem, followed by months of waiting to get them back, with poor communication, to not being notified they'd even been shipped back to me... with two ratty-assed used or refurbished pistols being given back to me in place of the two clean, new ones I sent in.

And no I am not going to call Taurus back. They've already used up enough of my time.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.