1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrippert View Post
i wish they would make a detective model in stainless. I would buy that.
me too!
Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 AM

I finally made it to the range today to try out the Tisas BR9 HP Clone. Initial impressions are very good. The trigger is OK, nothing special and more typical of a Hi Power having the mag safety and no tuning (which it is). I have had better, and I have had worse.

Sights were good, and were more accurate than I could shoot.

I put 200 rounds downrange through the BR9 this morning, using Winchester White Box 115 gr, Aguila 124 gr, and some commercial reloads (Georgia Arms).

For a new pistol, right out of the box using the supplied Mecgar mags, a Browning mag (with mouse trap), and a CDNN parked mag it performed beautifully. No failure to feeds or problems ejecting the spent casings. All 200 rounds fired without a single issue using the quality mags and mixed ammo.

I had brought along two crap mags, one a pro-mag, the other not sure what is was. These were not bought by me, so not sure how many rounds were put through them. It would not function with the crap mags having issues loading. Given the BR9 worked flawlessly with the various ammo and three different, but quality mags, the issue is with the mags and not the BR9.

For a right out of the box HP clone, I was impressed with the results.

I contacted LKCI earlier this week checking on the Stainless availability. They are still scheduled to come in, but probably not until the end of Feb.

at 7 yards

Last edited by ToddSig; 02-07-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the report. I can see one of these in my future.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Good report, Todd. Thanks, as always.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Yes, thanks very much.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Thank you for the initial report and follow-up range reports!

Has there been any disclosure of the price of the stainless steel version?

Thanks so much for your pictures and reports!
Old 02-07-2018, 06:54 PM

As of early January the prices were $454 for the black cerakote plus shipping, and the stainless model, when available at $480/$485 plus shipping.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:09 AM

Thank you, ToddSig. That is a very attractive stainless vs. carbon steel price premium!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:55 AM

Boy, I have a set of black rubber Spegel grips that would look good on one of the black ones......and our tax refund is looking good!
Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
Boy, I have a set of black rubber Spegel grips that would look good on one of the black ones......and our tax refund is looking good!
I'm thinking the same thing when I get my tax refund this year.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the update with range report. Definitely going to have to pick one up to play with.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:19 PM

Being manufactured by Tisas, is there an expectation that the stainless steel version would eventually be offered on a larger scale by the likes of Buds Gunshop, etc. The sentiment here seems to be initial high demand, followed by being discontinued. Any comments on that?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:35 PM

Maybe a Detective model will be in the future.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Has anyone inquired about installing an ambidextrous safety for us South Paws?
Old 02-09-2018, 10:40 AM

OK, so it's a personal problem. Yesterday I tried calling the distributors during business hours 3 times. I didn't want to leave my home phone (& tip off my unsympathetic spouse)
Finally, frustrated I couldn't reach them, I left a message with my questions, & requested an Email reply with answers. So far no reply. My biggest concern is IF & WHEN the stainless models arrive. I need to sell something I like, to raise the money. I'll be very disappointed if there's a no show of the stainless model - like the hollow claims by Zenith last summer. Did the distributor seem absolutely certain of delivery - or still negotiating ? Is anybody who doesn't answer the phone trustworthy ?
Old 02-09-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
OK, so it's a personal problem. Yesterday I tried calling the distributors during business hours 3 times. I didn't want to leave my home phone (& tip off my unsympathetic spouse)
Finally, frustrated I couldn't reach them, I left a message with my questions, & requested an Email reply with answers. So far no reply. My biggest concern is IF & WHEN the stainless models arrive. I need to sell something I like, to raise the money. I'll be very disappointed if there's a no show of the stainless model - like the hollow claims by Zenith last summer. Did the distributor seem absolutely certain of delivery - or still negotiating ? Is anybody who doesn't answer the phone trustworthy ?
Craig, not sure why you are having difficulty making contact, and your experiences are the opposite of what I have experienced. I initially called on availability when someone on this forum posted about them being available and in a catalog. I had no problem making initial contact for information and availability, nor any issues when calling back and placing my order for the cerakote model. I have emailed several times and always had a response.

For example, when I ordered they said they would call back for payment info once the FFL arrived, and told me if they got the FFL that day they could ship that day. They did. Ordered on Wed, my FFL had the BR9 on Friday. I found them very responsive.

My last email was earlier this week checking on the status of the shipment for the stainless model. The response was they were expecting new inventory around the 3rd week of Feb. Keep in mind they are being sent by ship, have to clear customs and then travel to LKCI in Ohio. So there could be delays.

Unfortunately, I cant be certain on the shipment other than relaying what I was informed.

LOL, I know the feeling of a unsympathetic wife and new gun purchases. I always say I am making a trade or sneak them into the house.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperfox View Post
Maybe a Detective model will be in the future.
That would be awesome, and I am sure the demand would be higher than for the standard size.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSig View Post
That would be awesome, and I am sure the demand would be higher than for the standard size.
I think you might have something here, Todd. I know I would jump at one.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I think you might have something here, Todd. I know I would jump at one.

Even though I currently own a Mod 90 Detective HP, the availability of a LW Detective, or a Stainless Steel Detective would likely make me go into a "purchase mode"!!
Old 02-13-2018, 08:57 PM

I cant believe they would put that crap original style thumb safety on it...Turkey? Come on man!!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 PM

I agree, but I'm glad they replaced the sights.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck View Post
I cant believe they would put that crap original style thumb safety on it...Turkey? Come on man!!
I just put a crap original style thumb safety on a Mark III. I like 'em.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSig View Post
LOL, I know the feeling of a unsympathetic wife and new gun purchases. I always say I am making a trade or sneak them into the house.
That's exactly what I do!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:13 PM

A new Hi Power is always welcome. I hope they'll be around for a while.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:14 PM

Thanks TODD for your assurances, I finally got in touch with LKCI, & had a satisfactory Q&A conversation. so much so - I'm taking a run at the stainless model HP clone. Scraping the wherewithal together now, & I should be ready when they arrive.
As you know it's easier to get spousal forgiveness - than permission. I did have to mention it to the wife - as I'm awaiting the purchase call. She was not impressed with my sales resistance - but there should be no reprisals.