Vigil Pics SHOT Show - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 02:00 AM

Vigil Pics SHOT Show

I snapped a few pics of the Vigil Commander and Vigil CCO. Interestingly they seem to have not engraved the name ("Vigil") on the slide. Must have been in a rush for SHOT. No one in the booth could explain how it was different from the Valkyrie in terms of parts. Seemed to be the same quality of any DW I have ever handled. Certainly not a "cheaper" looking or feeling gun by any means.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:45 AM

I'm interested in the CCO version.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
No one in the booth could explain how it was different from the Valkyrie in terms of parts.
Just looking at them, I'd say the vigil lacks carry/ball cuts on the slide of the Valkyrie, and has different grips, hammer, beaver tail, trigger, safety, slide stop, rear sight, and the finish doesn't seem to "pop" like the other pics of the duty finish I've seen. May just be my vision, or your pics, but it would have been nice to get a shot of say a duty Valor at the same time for comparison. Don't know about internals, but would guess they aren't as polished and refined as higher end models, as the exterior is pretty "meh" IMO.

TYVM for posting the pics, as I wouldn't have ever had the gumption to take a comparison look for myself without them.

IMO, Valkyrie > Vigil by a good margin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 06:29 AM

Thank you for this! Man, I've never wanted a pistol as bad as I want that Vigil CCO, I wonder how long before they're actually available. Thanks again for the pics.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:51 AM

Very nice and thanks for posting this. Keeping a lookout for the Commander version, in particular.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:35 AM

I have to echo what’s already been said. The finish looks completely different from their Duty Treatment. Those guns look dry, chalky, and lighter colored compared their Duty Treatment guns. That’s a turn-off for me. Sorry to say so, but I hope their production models look better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 01-26-2018, 08:05 AM

I’m going to get me one of them CCO for my birthday... Change the darn trigger, and that’s one good carry gun there, no bling, no billboard ads, no “Warning, if you be stoopid you gonna hurt yesself” nonsense engraved on it, and DW quality on the inside... Got my vote.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:21 AM

Remember, the MSRP on these is $600 less than prior equivalent guns. The money had to come from somewhere and it appears to be in the finish. The parts are still all forged so if they put as much time into assembly you get a a great functioning, high quality pistol at a bargain price. If you want pretty buy a Valor. I think they’ll sell a lot of these guns.
Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW; 01-26-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:45 AM

The duty treat is exactly the same as on the other guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW View Post
Remember, the MSRP on these is $600 less than prior equivalent guns. The money had to come from somewhere and it appears to be in the finish. The parts are still all cast and forged so if they put as much time into assembly you get a a great functioning, high quality pistol at a bargain price. If you want pretty buy a Valor. I think they’ll sell a lot of these guns.
Regards,
Jeff
They’ve not used any cast parts in a while. From Keith:

Quote:
All of our guns use the same parts, are built to the same tolerances and fit. We no longer use any cast parts on any models. All parts are fully machined now. The main differences between our guns are the features and materials.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Remember, the MSRP on these is $600 less than prior equivalent guns. The money had to come from somewhere and it appears to be in the finish.
Nottt necessarily, at least I'll remain optimistic that the finish quality is the same as others...mainly because it's (from what I've read) an impregnation of the actual metal vs. a surface treatment...I'm assuming that's binary, it's either applied or not.

Also, the original CCO was/is $1558 but is now selling at Bud's for $1210...There's no way any store/company would sell anything at a loss, no matter how much they say so...they're not in business to lose money. Meaning there's still some profit (however small it may be)...which brings me to...

A previous post of mine... Where, based solely on speculation, I share an idea of the approach DW might be going with this time around. DW seems (to me) to have made their name on their quality/fit/finish and to some extent value...I can't imagine them compromising that...maybe I'm being overly optimistic because I want the Vigil CCO to be everything I imagine it, and I'm wayy off the mark...I've been known to be wrong once or twice in life.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:12 AM

Vigil Pics SHOT Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc215 View Post
The duty treat is exactly the same as on the other guns.:

Call me skeptical, but that doesn’t look like Duty Treatment to me. Looks more like regular old nitride to me.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 01-26-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Call me skeptical, but that doesn’t look like Duty Treatment to me. Looks more like regular old nitride to me.
I asked Keith, he said the Vigils are done the same way as the other guns.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I have to echo what’s already been said. The finish looks completely different from their Duty Treatment. Those guns look dry, chalky, and lighter colored compared their Duty Treatment guns. That’s a turn-off for me. Sorry to say so, but I hope their production models look better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OP HERE:

All the guns looked like that. Thousands of people handling them with their filthy paws. It was Day 3 by the time I handled them. Same finish as on my Valkyrie.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Remember, the MSRP on these is $600 less than prior equivalent guns. The money had to come from somewhere and it appears to be in the finish. The parts are still all cast and forged so if they put as much time into assembly you get a a great functioning, high quality pistol at a bargain price. If you want pretty buy a Valor. I think they’ll sell a lot of these guns.
Regards,
Jeff
OP HERE:

It is the same Duty Finish that is on my Valkyrie. All the guns looked like they by the end of Day 3.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenII View Post
Nottt necessarily, at least I'll remain optimistic that the finish quality is the same as others...mainly because it's (from what I've read) an impregnation of the actual metal vs. a surface treatment...I'm assuming that's binary, it's either applied or not.

Also, the original CCO was/is $1558 but is now selling at Bud's for $1210...There's no way any store/company would sell anything at a loss, no matter how much they say so...they're not in business to lose money. Meaning there's still some profit (however small it may be)...which brings me to...

A previous post of mine... Where, based solely on speculation, I share an idea of the approach DW might be going with this time around. DW seems (to me) to have made their name on their quality/fit/finish and to some extent value...I can't imagine them compromising that...maybe I'm being overly optimistic because I want the Vigil CCO to be everything I imagine it, and I'm wayy off the mark...I've been known to be wrong once or twice in life.
OP HERE:

I manipulated the Vigils on display in every way possible short of taking them apart. Exact same quality and finish as on the other guns. No one in the booth could explain to me how they were able to pull off a lower MSRP with all the same parts and prep.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrish View Post
OP HERE:

I manipulated the Vigils on display in every way possible short of taking them apart. Exact same quality and finish as on the other guns. No one in the booth could explain to me how they were able to pull off a lower MSRP with all the same parts and prep.
That's definitely good to know. I'm glad to hear that. Yeah, I'm confident that DW won't shoot itself in the foot.

I'm assuming they won't say it because they don't want to make their current/previous customers upset. However, Apple (and many others) does this, they release an iPhone #s...Oh look! the iPhone # is still available only it's $150 less now...and the iPhone #s is being sold for less than the # was initially...

Good for DW, because to be honest...if it's between a Sig C3, ANY ruger, and DW?!...I'd easily spend the extra $3-400...but definitely not the $5-700. They hit that sweet spot with me.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrish View Post
OP HERE:

My theory is that they are cutting into their profit margin to try to sell more guns. I have no idea if that's the truth, that's just what I think.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:47 PM

DT is a chemical process - but the end appearance can change with the quality/type of polish or finish to the SS.

Last edited by NDL; 01-26-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:44 PM

@ Harrish - what's the feed-ramp solution for the Vigil models - ramped barrel on all, possibly?
Old 01-26-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayberryCoSAR View Post
@ Harrish - what's the feed-ramp solution for the Vigil models - ramped barrel on all, possibly?
I emailed DW with this and the response was that it is indeed a ramped barrel.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:27 PM

Great value. I see a Vigil commander with carry cuts($60) option in my future..................
Old 01-26-2018, 05:39 PM

Sorry about the cast part oops. My bad. I fixed my original post. They may have been able to save some costs in sourcing materials or in assembly. If they look just like the other guns then that is a huge plus. I think we should just be glad they are building these guns at the current price point.
Jeff
Old 01-26-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayberryCoSAR View Post
Definitely all Ramped.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:59 PM

OP HERE:

Ok just to get a better look at the finish and a comparison shot with a known gun with Duty Finish, I swung by again today and took a couple of more pics. It's only a 2 minute walk from my booth. Anyway, the real culprit here is the lighting. The DW booth is poorly lit in spots and brightly lit in others. In the pics below the finish on the VIGIL looks better than the VALOR!

Here is another pic of the Vigil Commander and below it a picture of a Valor with the Duty Finish:

VIGIL COMMANDER

VALOR COMPARISON SHOT

Old 01-26-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
No one in the booth could explain how it was different from the Valkyrie in terms of parts.
Most obvious -- trigger and grips. Less obvious, different grip safety. The frame on the Valkyrie is subtlety is undercut a bit higher. Carry cuts on the Valkyrie, none on the Vigil. Recessed slide stop on the Valkyrie.

The Vigil is a nice looking gun. I'm just already covered with the CCO, Valkyrie, and the Valkyrie Commander.