Wilson Combat acquires CMC/Shooting Star - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 11:20 PM

Wilson Combat acquires CMC/Shooting Star

Wilson has announced it has acquired Chip McCormick Custom/Shooting Star Industries
Old 12-30-2017, 12:56 AM

That's great news. The RPM mags are fantastic, best on the market, but would be even better with the Wilson followers in them.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:06 AM

CMC has a decent reputation, however I have never tried their magazines. I use WC magazines instead, just because I'm confident in them and know they work. It's certainly an interesting business move, but wonder why. Is WC buying out the closest magazine competitor? Or was CMC financially struggling and Wilson sees an opportunity to turn it around and profit?

I've never heard of Shooting Star Industries but a quick internet search suggests that "Shooting Star Industries" may possibly have a patent on a magazine design CMC uses.

Here's the only link I've found on the acquisition. http://www.breachbangclear.com/wilso...ormick-custom/

Last edited by tjpaxton; 12-30-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2017, 06:28 AM

WC stands alone with their square-wire 45 acp mags. No one else comes close.

With all other mags, I would say Chip M. is in the same "ball park" as Wilson. We can argue which is better at the margins, but the McM stuff is "good stuff" from my experience anyway. Interesting aquisition, I'm sure some new "goodies" will come out of it.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 12-30-2017, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the heads up. That's a pretty interesting development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelpiemonk View Post
... but would be even better with the Wilson followers in them.
While I'm a bigger fan of Wilson mags than McCormick's, I'll note the newest Wilson mags, the 9mm ETM's, use a metal GI follower. I've been wondering if Wilson may be headed towards a metal follower in the rest of their mags.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:50 AM

Sorry to hear this. Competition is a good thing for prices, quality and innovation.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Thanks for the heads up. That's a pretty interesting development.

While I'm a bigger fan of Wilson mags than McCormick's, I'll note the newest Wilson mags, the 9mm ETM's, use a metal GI follower. I've been wondering if Wilson may be headed towards a metal follower in the rest of their mags.
I think they actually use a Tripp hybrid follower. The plastic followers are in 45 mags. I agree with combat auto that the flag wire 45is a great mag, but it is because of the internals and the strong tube. The fees lips on the Cmc rpm mags are better, stronger. I'm pretty sure that is why Wilson licensed the technology for their new 10 rounders, and why they bought them outright. I don't imagine anything McCormick will make it through other than the feed lips, which is a shame because their grip safety is also outstanding.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldir View Post
Sorry to hear this. Competition is a good thing for prices, quality and innovation.
Yep. My guess is, CMC's will soon rise to the same price as Wilson's...
Old 12-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I think they actually use a Tripp hybrid follower.
In Wilson's 9mm mags? I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

See the additional pictures...

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Eli...nfo/500%2D9A/#
Old 12-30-2017, 09:01 AM

I can't remember from the tour, but does Wilson actually make their own magazine components? If not, it could be that Wilson bought CMC for their machining and expertise. CMC has a great reputation. If they are machining the parts to their mags, Wilson could be wanting them so they have more control over quality.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S, EDC X9 Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Old 12-30-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
In Wilson's 9mm mags? I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

See the additional pictures...

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Eli...nfo/500%2D9A/#

Sorry. I just meant Tripp follower. Not hybrid. That is what I remember, at least.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
I can't remember from the tour, but does Wilson actually make their own magazine components? If not, it could be that Wilson bought CMC for their machining and expertise. CMC has a great reputation. If they are machining the parts to their mags, Wilson could be wanting them so they have more control over quality.
^^you beat me to it^^ plus, it may save WC some money in the long with this approach. #buyingsuppliers. Again, my comments are pure Saturday morning speculation.

Best,

Scott
Old 12-30-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Sorry. I just meant Tripp follower. Not hybrid. That is what I remember, at least.
I don't think that is correct either. I'm not familiar with the pictured Wilson follower (a GI follower) being in the the Tripp line-up, anywhere.

Tripp does offer their Flex follower, that is made by CheckMate, and Wilson at one time sold the 608 Service mag, that was also made by CheckMate, but that mag also used a GI follower, so that's about all the connection between Tripp and Wilson I can think of.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:38 AM

Says in the article Chip was ready to retire. Since they (Bill and Chip) have been associated for many years and CMC is in Texas, makes good sense to have a business presence there. CMC makes GREAT mags and other stuff. It will be a well thought out quality addition to the WC lineup. Wilson, IMHO, doesn't associate itself with anything less then excellence and wouldn't get into a situation that would tarnish the reputation Bill has spent 40 years building
Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Given the number of 1911 mag manufacturers, I seriously doubt we'll see a decline in either quality or innovation.

Chip did what anyone who builds a business does as they decide to retire. You sell the business.

Smart move on both sides.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddymike View Post
Says in the article Chip was ready to retire. Since they (Bill and Chip) have been associated for many years and CMC is in Texas, makes good sense to have a business presence there. CMC makes GREAT mags and other stuff. It will be a well thought out quality addition to the WC lineup. Wilson, IMHO, doesn't associate itself with anything less then excellence and wouldn't get into a situation that would tarnish the reputation Bill has spent 40 years building
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Given the number of 1911 mag manufacturers, I seriously doubt we'll see a decline in either quality or innovation.

Chip did what anyone who builds a business does as they decide to retire. You sell the business.

Smart move on both sides.
Well said on both counts.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 PM

Did you guys not notice that Wilson started licensing cmc patents earlier this year? It's clearly a move at making very good magazines even better, not just two old Texans pissing at the rodeo.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:56 PM

Wilson Combat , what ever you do don't discontinue the Shooting Star Follower setup in flush fit 8 round mags .
You already discontinued the 608 flush fit service mags , please don't screw up the Shooting Star mag setup .
Old 12-30-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB6464 View Post
Wilson Combat , what ever you do don't discontinue the Shooting Star Follower setup in flush fit 8 round mags .
You already discontinued the 608 flush fit service mags , please don't screw up the Shooting Star mag setup .
One of the better criticisms so far. Well said.

Not being a downer, it's just nice to see it from all sides.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:26 PM

Two thoughts, based on carrying and shooting 1911s for over 30 years. I remember when the first WC mags came out, then Devels, (so I am getting old):
1 - While the original Wilson mags were a big step ahead, they never solved what I think is still their greatest weakness - the thin polymer area to activate the slide stop. The Tripp follower with metal reinforcement is far better:
2 - Hopefully they will keep the new doubled feed lips used in the RPM mags.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Let’s hope they don’t toy with a good thing. CMC is an excellent magazine.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
Letís hope they donít toy with a good thing. CMC is an excellent magazine.
Agreed.

(Heavy Sigh) I thought my days of panic-buying magazines were over, but here I go again.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
Let’s hope they don’t toy with a good thing. CMC is an excellent magazine.
And I hope they choose to sell the Chip 9mm mags from here on out. Or both.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remanaz View Post
And I hope they choose to sell the Chip 9mm mags from here on out. Or both.
As long as both continue to have metal followers, I'll be one happy camper! I have had no issues with either companies 9mm mags with metal followers.