Wilson Combat releases "Black Edition" models - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-28-2017, 12:43 AM

Wilson Combat releases "Black Edition" models

Today Wilson released "Black Edition" model pistols. All Black including barrels.

I posted a link but it's not re-directing properly. Go to Wilson's home page and type "Black Edition" in the search tab. Wilson has many models in-stock. Photo for reference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	26166514_574852602845871_8049247144200959742_n[2].jpg
Views:	183
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	445978

Last edited by tjpaxton; 12-28-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:03 AM

What took so long.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:17 AM

I think these guns look great! However, I don't really see the point in making them a "new edition" to the lineup. The only "new" option looks to be the black barrel. Otherwise, these guns could be spec'd all along. Seems like Wilson could've just told everyone black barrels were now available through them, and people would have spec'd their own "black edition" guns. But like I said, these models look really good.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S, EDC X9 Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 08:34 AM

I happened to be looking at an X-Tac on line the other day. I saw the "Black Edition" name, and while I noticed it, at the time it didn't strike me that they had a new line of guns with that name. Thanks for the tip. They do look good.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/X-TAC-Fu...o/HANDGUN4056/
Old 12-28-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
I happened to be looking at an X-Tac on line the other day. I saw the "Black Edition" name, and while I noticed it, at the time it didn't strike me that they had a new line of guns with that name. Thanks for the tip. They do look good.
Agreed, they look sharp dressed all in black. Looks like the barrel, barrel bushing and grip medallions received the blackout treatment. I dig the look, although Id prefer that they used ionbond instead of armor-tuff on the barrels.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 AM

I saw four models all black. If that's what you want the Tactical Elite looks to be about $100 more than the standard model. They don't show the FO front sight, is it black as well.

I like the look.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:06 AM

Looks good. But I wonder how the hood will look after several hundred rounds?
Could have at least lined up the grip screws for the pic.
COTEP#782
Old 12-28-2017, 09:15 AM

Haven't their fellow Arkansans been doing this forever?
Old 12-28-2017, 09:15 AM

I like the option of the all black look. As 7.62 said I’ll be curious to see how the barrel hood stands up. Interesting new option but I’ll probably stick with a standard barrel and bushing as I like the little bit of contrast that it gives.

Wilson does keep giving us more and more options.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 12-28-2017, 10:01 AM

The wear and tear will make them look as if they have earned their keep.

My personal X9 I did as a 'Black Edition', love it.

BTW, blacked out my personal SACS Pro along with a few upgrades......looks awesome.

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 AM

FWIW, I think it is a good look. I just don't get the idea of stamping "Black Edititon" on the slides. Just seems like another logo from a company that already over logos.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelpiemonk View Post
FWIW, I think it is a good look. I just don't get the idea of stamping "Black Edititon" on the slides. Just seems like another logo from a company that already over logos.
Agreed.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:43 AM

Nearly all-black is pretty much the way I've spec'd all of my Wilsons, for years, including ARs.

I do prefer to keep the 1911 barrel as unfinished stainless steel; same with barrel bushing. Also partial to the sterling silver grip medallions (which originated from a discussion here on this Forum). But all-black on these parts is also classy .... I love that look as well. On my Wilson ARs, even the barrels are black AT... Looks Great.

As opined/noted by kelpiemonk (+1911), I also give a thumbs-down to the "black edition" rollmark. But at the same time, this might appeal to some customers, so I think it's nice to have as a option (although I'm not sure it should be the default selection).

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-28-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Well like every other one of their guns I'm sure Mr Hammond can help you order one without any logos.
COTEP#782
Old 12-28-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
Nearly all-black is pretty much the way I've spec'd all of my Wilsons, for years, including ARs.

I do prefer to keep the 1911 barrel as unfinished stainless steel; same with barrel bushing. Also partial to the sterling silver grip medallions (which originated from a discussion here on this Forum). But all-black on these parts is also classy .... I love that look as well. On my Wilson ARs, even the barrels are black AT... Looks Great.
The depicted gun with Sterling Silver medallions would pop for sure.
COTEP#782
Old 12-28-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Well like every other one of their guns I'm sure Mr Hammond can help you order one without any logos.
I dream of a world where blank is default and I have to ask Jerry for his assistance if and when I want a logo!
Old 12-28-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post

BTW, blacked out my personal SACS Pro along with a few upgrades......looks awesome.
Thanks to Jerry, my X9 is a "Black Edition" too.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 PM

Black pistols matter......
Old 12-28-2017, 02:36 PM

I thought you could always get the barrel in black, but it wasn't recommended because it didn't stand up well. Mine is all black except the barrel and trigger. I made that decision after talking to George about durability in a heavily shot gun.

I agree on the logo. I am not a fan of logos and the like in most cases.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:19 PM

^^^^^^

There's always going to be some finish wear with a working gun and a coated finish.

Yes, unless Wilson has developed a new technique, or perhaps a thicker coating of AT, the back AT finish on the barrel is going to wear faster than other coated surfaces. Probably much faster.

It is something to be aware of, and to accept, on the front end (buying with this spec). I don't think it is a show-stopper for a large percentage of people who consider their Wilson 1911s as working tools; and who understand that AT will wear much faster at contact, friction, and muzzle blast points.

But for those who expect it to retain a "like-new" appearance, they should understand on the front-end that theirs is an unrealistic expectation for a gun that's put to use.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-28-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:00 PM

Hornady needs to make a special run of Black Pistol ammo to feed the Black Edition blasters.

On a related note: I dig the wear marks on a black barrel.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post

Jerry, can you post a picture of your black barreled X9? I would enjoy seeing that, as I was unaware that was an option for the X9....
Old 12-28-2017, 05:12 PM

I am also a fan of black guns with sterling silver medallions.....
Old 12-28-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
I think these guns look great! However, I don't really see the point in making them a "new edition" to the lineup. The only "new" option looks to be the black barrel. Otherwise, these guns could be spec'd all along. Seems like Wilson could've just told everyone black barrels were now available through them, and people would have spec'd their own "black edition" guns. But like I said, these models look really good.
I agree it seems like just another unnecessary roll mark on the slide, but the specs sure are nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Looks good. But I wonder how the hood will look after several hundred rounds?
Could have at least lined up the grip screws for the pic.
I'm sure it will wear like the Springfield Pro Black-T barrels do.
Quote:
Haven't their fellow Arkansans been doing this forever?
I instantly though GI/Nighthawk when I saw this haha.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:55 PM

It’s a devious marketing ploy. They tell me no when I request the black barrel a few years ago, then promote the option in hopes of luring me in to another purchase. Shrewd, very shrewd!