Back in the WC family - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-24-2017, 08:56 AM

Back in the WC family

I had owned a CQB Compact for years (actually sold it once and bought it back) but sold it a second time two years ago. It was a super pistol, always enjoyed the feel of it in the hand. I’ve been under going a 5 week recovery from a hip replacement set back and am limited on moving around too much. Because of this I’ve had a lot of time to look at gun sites and auctions.

As much as I liked my CQB Compact I always felt the Professional was the “perfect” size so I decided to see what was available. On the new gun market there were a number of Professionals available, but since I haven’t priced a WC lately, was taken back by the prices (high price, but no doubt worth it). There were very few used Professionals, and I missed an opportunity to grab a 2006 built Professional at a decent price.

Finally, I saw a used two tone .45, 2016 build, for a reasonable price on an auction site, negotiated with the dealer for a better price and bought it. Dealer didn’t think it had ever been shot. I’ll pick it up on Tuesday, but haven’t been so excited about a new pistol in a long time. The Professional will be making a trip to WC to have the frame taken to black and a mag well added. Already have new grips on order. I’m sure this pistol will be a keeper for the duration. Glad to be back.

Last edited by ohio; 12-24-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome back to the Wilson fold! I think you are really going to like that Professional, I sure love mine. Most of mine are Professionals, with only a few being full size; I don't have any compacts because the grip frame on the compacts is a little small for my hand. Congrats on finding one, most owners that have the Professional size Wilsons don't sell them very often.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-24-2017, 01:06 PM

In my opinion, the Professionals are the best Wilson’s. The balance is just about perfect. If you are excited now, just wait till that first range trip. Hope the hip heals quickly and you get back to normal soon. Congrats and Merry Christmas to you.

NRA Patron Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
In my opinion, the Professionals are the best Wilsonís. The balance is just about perfect. If you are excited now, just wait till that first range trip. Hope the hip heals quickly and you get back to normal soon. Congrats and Merry Christmas to you.
Thanks Grandpa and apipeguy....just looking forward to owning a WC again and a Professional to boot. Appointment with surgeon on Jan 5 AM.....range trip Jan 5 PM.

Happy Holidays to you also
Old 12-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio View Post
Thanks Grandpa and apipeguy....just looking forward to owning a WC again and a Professional to boot. Appointment with surgeon on Jan 5 AM.....range trip Jan 5 PM.

Happy Holidays to you also
Please post some photos and a range report, when you take it out.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 12-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Please post some photos and a range report, when you take it out.
Iíll do a before and after....need to get the frame redone to black and add a mag well.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Might suggest you have a range session or two before you send it back to the mother ship---you may find something else you want changed while it's there.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:01 PM

Congrats and welcome back. I also like the balance of the Professional. I like it just a tad better than a Commander. I think the bull barrel and 4" slide is balanced well and comes back on target faster for me than a 4.25" barrel with a bushing.

Looking forward to the before and after pictures and I too prefer a magwell especially Wilson's round butt one piece.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgivern View Post
Might suggest you have a range session or two before you send it back to the mother ship---you may find something else you want changed while it's there.
Yeah maybe a spare fitted/tuned extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy1629 View Post
Congrats and welcome back. I also like the balance of the Professional. I like it just a tad better than a Commander. I think the bull barrel and 4" slide is balanced well and comes back on target faster for me than a 4.25" barrel with a bushing.

Looking forward to the before and after pictures and I too prefer a magwell especially Wilson's round butt one piece.
Yep that RBMW on a Pro/Commander would be my choice. Along with a concealment BT
Old 12-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgivern View Post
Yes, eg, sights., FLGR, Trigger Job.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX View Post
Yes, eg, sights., FLGR, Trigger Job.
Guess Iíll be saving some $$$. Already has FLGR, F/O front sight, never had an issue with WC triggers.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:24 PM

Just got my new ďusedĒ Professional, this is the before picture. Iím going to shoot it a while before sending it off to WC to have the frame taken to black and a mag well installed.

I purchased this as a ďusedĒ pistol, but it is very obvious it has never been shot. Might have been the deal of the year on a Wilson Combat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	94DF8C53-3B7A-49F9-8AE2-F1C190D530EF.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	445394
Old 12-26-2017, 06:29 PM

I admit that I am somewhat prejudiced and like black guns the best, but that is a nice looking Professional.

Itíll look something like this when done, sorry not a photographer.
Attached Thumbnails
D2348358-86C2-4F6C-868F-D5166C9F2D40.jpeg  

NRA Patron Life Member

Last edited by apipeguy; 12-26-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I admit that I am somewhat prejudiced and like black guns the best, but that is a nice looking Professional.
Thank you. Iím just pleased to own a Wilson Combat again.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:40 PM

Congratulations on the Professional! My first Wilson was an XTAC Elite Professional. The Professional is a great feeling pistol. Mine is my daily carry.

Enjoy your new Wilson, and may your hip be better than ever.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky80 View Post
Congratulations on the Professional! My first Wilson was an XTAC Elite Professional. The Professional is a great feeling pistol. Mine is my daily carry.

Enjoy your new Wilson, and may your hip be better than ever.
Thank you. The hip thing has been a little drawn out, I was walking unaided 2 weeks after surgery but later on had some issues. Now in week 4 with crutches ...another week to go.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:

It’ll look something like this when done, sorry not a photographer.
Very nice! I’m going with the Coco Bolo Starburst grips, had them on my CQB Compact and liked the look.

Last edited by ohio; 12-26-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:38 AM

Had the opportunity to shoot my new Professional before sending it to WC to have the frame taken to black. I was going to have a magwell added, until I found out it would take up to 3 months.....don’t want to give it up that long.

So I have a question.....has anyone dropped in a WC magwell on their WC pistol and how does it look? I like the WC magwell, but have used an S&A in the past on a CQB Compact and it fit and looked ok. I didn’t object to the charge for the magwell and blending, just not the wait time. I prefer using a WC magwell, but only if I can install it without blending it in.

If anyone has a photo I would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks !
Old 01-15-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio View Post
Had the opportunity to shoot my new Professional before sending it to WC to have the frame taken to black. I was going to have a magwell added, until I found out it would take up to 3 months.....don’t want to give it up that long.
Back a year or so I sent my Professional back for the one piece magwell. I was quoted four to six months and I believe it was done in two months. I think Wilson gives themselves some breathing room. Even if it was to take three months you will really like it. My magwell didn't fit exactly as excellent as the one I ordered built on a Classic. That being said, it is pretty sweet!! Just be aware the frame has to be refinished and in my case I had Wilson put on some flat bottom grips.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the response nod. I have seen WC pistols with magwells and the fitting is really nice. My problem is I just got my Professional and didn’t want to give it up that long. I made an executive decision and decided to go with an S&A magwell. I had a CQB Compact and put an S&A on it and the fit was pretty good. I know it won’t be a good as a WC, but it won’t be that bad.

I ordered flat bottom grips from Wilson Combat already, only grips for a pistol with a magwell IMO.

Last edited by ohio; 01-15-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:00 PM

Update: WC Professional is back from having the frame taken to black.

I had owned a WC CQB Compact some years ago. Great pistol but I sold it (actually sold it twice....bought it back once). While I had it I changed the grips to a flat bottom Starburst style. At that time WC didn’t have a flat bottom in that style so I had Larry Davidson make a set to go with the S&A magwell I put on the pistol.

The only other changes I made were to change the front sight to a F/O and the rear to a Battlesight. When I sold it (the last time) the pistol looked like this :

Name:	FC211491-C691-4784-82DF-E4E0B9D0DF5F.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	467721

Lately I’ve been thinking I needed another Wilson Combat and always thought the Professional was the “perfect” 1911. I searched on line and came up on a used (but actually unfired) Professional two-tone, got a great deal and bought it:

Name:	428907AD-E7DB-42FC-A65F-4FB7766ED489.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	467729

I always liked the looks of my CQB Compact so I decided to duplicate the CQB looks on the Professional. The Professional came with F/O sights and Battlesight on the rear, I added the S&A magwell and the grips are from WC:

Name:	1F81AF88-3CBE-421C-B2E5-EB3D8FCF0CFE.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	467737

Needless to say, I’m very pleased with the finished pistol and especially happy to be back in the WC family again.

Last edited by ohio; 02-02-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:21 PM

Really nice, congrats. Since you like magwells, on your next one I’d suggest looking at Wilson’s round butt magwell. Not really an add on part as there is some frame work to do. They are fantastic.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-02-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Really nice, congrats. Since you like magwells, on your next one I’d suggest looking at Wilson’s round butt magwell. Not really an add on part as there is some frame work to do. They are fantastic.
I was going to have one put on at Wilson, but they said it could take 3 months. I just got the pistol and didn’t want to give it up that long. The Wilson magwell is really nice.

And thanks!
Old 02-04-2018, 04:24 PM

Looks awesome
Old 02-06-2018, 08:47 AM

The finished product

Name:	E7FB1D31-2DFB-4DA5-B622-E2F52E227EF3.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	523.0 KB
ID:	470041