2nd Thoughts - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 11:27 PM

How about you buy a STI Costa Host. It's in the $2700 range with the optic and has a reduced slim grips. Full 1911 controls and you can run 10 round mags until you get to a better state (no pun intended) then you can run 17 or 21rd mags.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
How about you buy a STI Costa Host. It's in the $2700 range with the optic and has a reduced slim grips. Full 1911 controls and you can run 10 round mags until you get to a better state (no pun intended) then you can run 17 or 21rd mags.
That is a nice one...I'm very impressed with the STI-CCC I purchased a few months ago. 100% reliable in 45, with 10 round mags anyway (I figured the Dem candidate was going to win here, so I hedge my bets. If I was wrong, I could have purchased some higher cap mags, I figured). But still, 10R is a 25% increase over a 1911 45 mag so I am very ok with it. The gun was extremely well thought out as a "fighting-gun", and my fastest gun in the 25 yard pit. Haven't taken it out to the 50y pit yet, but I will. The CCC really doesn't need an Red-Dot because the Hieni rear, and the low-profile, low glare/competition, barrel-mounted Island front sight is something special. Nothing on this gun that I care to change, it is quite optimized as a fighting gun.

On my WC-carry-comp, I may do a red-dot some day, I think it could enhance the performance of this gun a "tad".
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 12-05-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:13 AM

I appreciate all the good replies, I think I will get my deposit back and save more money and really think about what I really want. I have a nice 45, it's a DW custom Valkyrie so I want a nice 9mm and I thought I would step it up a notch getting a WC. I don't have a lot of guns but the ones I do have are nice, to me anyway.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat C View Post
I appreciate all the good replies, I think I will get my deposit back and save more money and really think about what I really want. I have a nice 45, it's a DW custom Valkyrie so I want a nice 9mm and I thought I would step it up a notch getting a WC. I don't have a lot of guns but the ones I do have are nice, to me anyway.
This isn't a bad decision. It's a lot of money to spend. So taking the time to analyze the purchase is wise. Even if you wind up deciding to get an X9 when the time comes, at least it will be a well thought out decision.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S, EDC X9 Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Old 12-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Buying guns you are not sure of on impulse gets costly. But we have all done it.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I think you're making the right decision, until you move out of this state I don't think there is a need for a higher capacity 1911 style gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
Buying guns you are not sure of on impulse gets costly. But we have all done it.
Yup, I'm regrettably very guilty of that, sometimes I wish I could back in time.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromohio View Post
I have one on order now and I have to admit....I'm not as excited as I thought I'd be. I ordered it because I wanted the answer to my double stack 9 quest. I'm sick of glocks and the plethora of plastic fantastic. I like my CZs, but I wanted that premium gun to fill the niche. However, I've been carrying a 1911 Commander .45 exclusively over the past two months and I have to wonder what I'd be gaining. I'm going through with the purchase, but I find myself thinking I could do something different wth that money.
Let me know when it's in, I had been trying to find someone nearby so I can try one. Ammo will be on me lol!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Cancel your order and buy a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact get it with the 10 round mags when you move get the standard capacity 15 round and 17 round mags for it.Use the money you save on ammo.I guarantee it will shoot just as well as the edc.i love and carry my WC 1911s but my M&P gets the job done just as well.If one would have to lay in an evidence room I would prefer it to be the M&P.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLG View Post
Cancel your order and buy a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact get it with the 10 round mags when you move get the standard capacity 15 round and 17 round mags for it.Use the money you save on ammo.I guarantee it will shoot just as well as the edc.i love and carry my WC 1911s but my M&P gets the job done just as well.If one would have to lay in an evidence room I would prefer it to be the M&P.
Ok......sure.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I ordered a edc x9 not to long ago, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts. I always wanted a WC 1911 but when the x9 came out and at a decent price point I became interested. Since it's been out awhile now and I'm getting mixed reviews from buyers and some are saying that they still like their 1911's better. I like the fact it hold 15 rds but I won't be able to take advantage of that since I live in CT, until I move to another state. I also thought it was only slightly thicker than a 1911 but others say it's feels a lot thicker than a 1911, and there's the fact that you can't put an rmr on it because of the tri cut top. I wanted this to be my edc it has all the features that I'm looking for except you can't put a rmr on it. Not sure what I want, I wish I can afford both but at this time I can't, I had to sell off a couple of guns to afford this one, and all WC 1911's are about a thousand dollars more. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Makes no sense to own a double stack in your state.

ULCC in 9mm gets my vote if you must have a 1911.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:10 AM

After I bought my first Wilson, I too had second thoughts. So, I bought a second one. Then I had third thoughts ... you can see where this is going.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post

Words of wisdom here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pray for our Soldiers as you pass that Church...
Proud Father of a medically retired Cav Trooper...
Old 12-05-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfisherma View Post
Rmr?
An RMR is a red dot sight many people put atop a 1911 for competition or home defense. It is made by Trijicon officially, but anymore people use RMR as more of a general term for a mini red dot. Ruggedized Mini Reflex. RMR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The X9 is an amazing pistol but after mine came in I found that. I prefer my ULCC.
Here here. I think my ULCC in 9mm is the perfect carry gun. I love mine so much, it might even be my favorite gun ever. I love it that much.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
Here here. I think my ULCC in 9mm is the perfect carry gun. I love mine so much, it might even be my favorite gun ever. I love it that much.

I agree 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Pray for our Soldiers as you pass that Church...
Proud Father of a medically retired Cav Trooper...
Old 12-05-2017, 10:00 PM

My final thought on this matter:

If you're a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 enthusiast, including practical shooting effectiveness, you should feel no obligation to change to something that's not exactly a 1911. No matter specs such as round capacity or any other supposed "enhanced" capabilities that address supposed weaknesses of the 1911 design.

If a different design really does work better for you, then go for it...of course, easy decision. But otherwise, it -- the different design -- is merely a passing flavor of the month.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-05-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 PM

Double Stack doubts

Ultimately you'll buy - and you should - what you want MOST.

I'm ditto on the 2011 STI HOSTs (I went with the DS4.0) for it gives you the high capacity and RMR capacity AND are suppressor-ready to boot. I have small to medium hands but do not find the 2011 DS grip to be uncomfortable or difficult to operate. So if you really want an RMR gun I'd take a look at the STI HOST offerings (BOTH 1911 and 2011) - both the double and single stack offerings.

If you go with a single stack - factory RMR or gunsmith altered - can always up the ante capacity-wise with some Chip McCormack Power Mags (45ACP though). That would give you 10+1 in 45ACP - a potent powerhouse.

Now the bad news! Recent experience with WC left me unable to alter/change my order without a $500 penalty. Now I've ordered one of their 40th anniversary CQB Elite models which are "limited" and made as ordered. Your situation - being a more standard WC offering - might not be as restricted. Give them a call - that way you'll find out what your options are. This might present you the only financial path you can pursue.

Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
My final thought on this matter:

If you're a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 enthusiast, including practical shooting effectiveness, you should feel no obligation to change to something that's not exactly a 1911. No matter specs such as round capacity or any other supposed "enhanced" capabilities that address supposed weaknesses of the 1911 design.

If a different design really does work better for you, then go for it...of course, easy decision. But otherwise, it -- the different design -- is merely a passing flavor of the month.
This is great advice, I am myself reevaluating the 1911 as my main carry but it just keeps coming out on top even though I have some guns that shoot more naturally for me. They simply cannot conceal as well for me and that is a deal breaker in the role I need my gun to fill.

The actual performance of even a compact is very high to the point you WILL start taking it for granted and get angry when your group is over 2 inches or an inch off center. It's a long process to figure out what works best for an individual but I have had the opportunity to figure it out BEFORE I was old enough to carry and even ever since I have yet to find a objectively better option for true EDC use than a traditional, compact 1911 in .45
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 12-06-2017, 08:49 AM

I think part of my problem is I'm trying to fill all my wants or needs with just one nice gun but I'm not sure that is possible. I guess that's why some people have many guns. I wish I can afford to do that but unfortunately I can't, so I think this is why I'm having a hard time selecting my next gun.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I think part of my problem is I'm trying to fill all my wants or needs with just one nice gun but I'm not sure that is possible. I guess that's why some people have many guns. I wish I can afford to do that but unfortunately I can't, so I think this is why I'm having a hard time selecting my next gun.
I spent a full year planning and figuring out what I wanted on my first Wilson. As I finally started to work my order out on paper with all the options that I wanted, I found a used Wilson that was 95% built as I wanted and I bought it. My first used gun purchase and it is a very special gun to me that I will never, ever sell.

Take your time, you will know when the decision is right.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think that is possible if you are a firearms enthusiast. There is a lot of good insight given in the replies in this thread; sometimes it is good to go back to the beginning post and read through all of them to find the ones that speak the most to you. I am probably not the right person to give perspective on this dilemma since I still buy guns I don't really need (but just want), but your circumstance and position from which you have to decide is far different than mine. Take your time to think it over, revisit the entire thread, and it will probably become an easier decision. Best of luck with whichever decision you make.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
My advice, don't get too caught up in the "need to have" a high-end 1911. If you find a Dan Wesson, Springfield, etc. that fits you're needs go with it. I bought a Wilson Combat thinking it would be the last 1911 I would buy because it's a Wilson and how much better could it get. Wrong, two months later I ordered the gun I knew I really wanted; a Les Baer Custom Carry with some options. Now about half a year later my Wilson is for sale, and my Baer has more rounds through it and is my EDC.

Morale of the story is you don't need to feel like you are missing out if you can't afford the most expensive 1911. It may actually be less expensive 1911 that "speaks" to you. For me I actually came to prefer the less polished, cheaper, and rougher 1911 YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
I spent a full year planning and figuring out what I wanted on my first Wilson. As I finally started to work my order out on paper with all the options that I wanted, I found a used Wilson that was 95% built as I wanted and I bought it. My first used gun purchase and it is a very special gun to me that I will never, ever sell.

Take your time, you will know when the decision is right.
Ditto, as I said you will know when you are getting "the" gun.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
I don't think that is possible if you are a firearms enthusiast. There is a lot of good insight given in the replies in this thread; sometimes it is good to go back to the beginning post and read through all of them to find the ones that speak the most to you. I am probably not the right person to give perspective on this dilemma since I still buy guns I don't really need (but just want), but your circumstance and position from which you have to decide is far different than mine. Take your time to think it over, revisit the entire thread, and it will probably become an easier decision. Best of luck with whichever decision you make.
I will indeed read through all the post again, I probably shouldn't of said (need), I really don't need it, I want it. The thing is I love shooting, so sometimes I think I should just get a all steel government model 9mm for target shooting, then I think well what if I want to carry it, I should get something lighter maybe a commander with an a aluminium frame, or smaller? I'm all over the place, I know there's worst things I could be thinking about, I drive myself nuts thinking of this gun. I should just probably take a break and let it just come to me, or save enough money and by both.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 AM

I watched some Youtubes while on the treadmill this AM. Now I feel better about my purchase.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Step 1 is admitting you have a problem
Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I will indeed read through all the post again, I probably shouldn't of said (need), I really don't need it, I want it. The thing is I love shooting, so sometimes I think I should just get a all steel government model 9mm for target shooting, then I think well what if I want to carry it, I should get something lighter maybe a commander with an a aluminium frame, or smaller? I'm all over the place, I know there's worst things I could be thinking about, I drive myself nuts thinking of this gun. I should just probably take a break and let it just come to me, or save enough money and by both.
Well, I have three "primary" carry 1911s, and it's still almost a toss-up decision which is best on many days.

And then there are three (wholly separate from above) regular range guns.

All 1911s.

And then there are others ... wilderness carry 1911, other 1911s, a couple S&W Shields (for when "really small" is the key), etc.

From what I'm possibly detecting in your posts, you might want to consider a Wilson Commander-size 1911 chambered in 9mm. Steel; not aluminum. Suitable for both range use and carry/SD (with appropriate ammo). Rear battlesight; front gold bead. Maybe black AT finish, naked slide, G10 grips with sterling silver grip medallions. That would serve well for many purposes, and look great as well.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-06-2017 at 10:33 AM.