It broke already! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 PM

It broke already!

Just bought a RIA 1911 FS Tac .45ACP. The pistol jammed, and here the firing pin stop was so loose that it won't stay in place. It drops, and then the slide jams. It has less than 100rds. through it. RIA sent a shipping label and it went back to them. I hope that they will completely go over this pistol and make sure everything is as good as it can be. I want to be able to say that I'm glad I bought a Rock Island Armory pistol. We'll see, I guess.

Last edited by tache; 07-25-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 PM

It broke already!

Their CS is very good. I think you'll be happy.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:23 PM

I got mine used and had the same issue 19rnds in. It did for all intensive purposes look new. Ria sent me a shipping label as well and were very pleasant to deal with. My previous ria gi had over 13,000rnds through it trouble free. I have no doubt it will come back gtg

Last edited by Chuckn45s; 07-25-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 05:42 AM

Seems like that is a fairly common problem with Rocks. I'm sure they'll take care of it. If the problem happens again, it is easily solved with a new Firing Pin Stop that properly fits and a strong firing pin spring. Both are fairly simple to install/fit.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 AM

Wow. This is like the second time in a week we have seen this problem with RIA. They must have bought a truckload of cheap ass Chinese springs. Go to Wolfsprings.com and buy some extra recoil springs and they will give you a free extra power firing pin spring with each recoil spring. That will stop the FPS from falling down and also make the gun more drop safe. Personally I would just replace every single spring in the gun with quality springs from Wolff or ISMI. Your gun runs on springs and cheap ones will stop it from running. Even if the FPS is loose the spring should be holding it in place. You may also want to consider an oversize FPS from EGW (you will have to fit it to your slide - just a few minutes with a file) to take all of the slop out and also to keep your extractor from moving around. You don't need to send your gun back to fix this problem.

Last edited by drail; 07-26-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:56 AM

Bummer. But, its seems like RIAs customer service is well regarded.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
wow. This is like the second time in a week we have seen this problem with ria. They must have bought a truckload of cheap ass chinese springs. Go to wolfsprings.com and buy some extra recoil springs and they will give you a free extra power firing pin spring with each recoil spring. That will stop the fps from falling down and also make the gun more drop safe. Personally i would just replace every single spring in the gun with quality springs from wolff or ismi. Your gun runs on springs and cheap ones will stop it from running. Even if the fps is loose the spring should be holding it in place. You may also want to consider an oversize fps from egw (you will have to fit it to your slide - just a few minutes with a file) to take all of the slop out and also to keep your extractor from moving around. You don't need to send your gun back to fix this problem.
this !!!!!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Wow. This is like the second time in a week we have seen this problem with RIA. They must have bought a truckload of cheap ass Chinese springs. Go to Wolfsprings.com and buy some extra recoil springs and they will give you a free extra power firing pin spring with each recoil spring. That will stop the FPS from falling down and also make the gun more drop safe. Personally I would just replace every single spring in the gun with quality springs from Wolff or ISMI. Your gun runs on springs and cheap ones will stop it from running. Even if the FPS is loose the spring should be holding it in place. You may also want to consider an oversize FPS from EGW (you will have to fit it to your slide - just a few minutes with a file) to take all of the slop out and also to keep your extractor from moving around. You don't need to send your gun back to fix this problem.
I agree, and I'm sure that I could handle this myself. But it is a brand new gun with less than 100 rds, through it. The FFL dealer that I bought it from felt that they should be held accountable, and I agreed. Plus, by sending it back, hopefully they will check the gun out and make sure there is nothing else that they missed.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:19 PM

Hopefully they will check it out better than when they shipped it out - but I would just pop for some new springs. They will b much better and allow the gun to run more reliably than the cheap springs RIA installs in their guns. And if they agree to pay shipping both ways to correct it they could have saved themselves a lot of money by just using quality springs. I always replace all of the factory springs with better ones on any gun I buy. No, you shouldn't have to, but the production gun manufacturers in the world today don't really seem to care how well their guns run - only that they sell a lot of them. It is a pretty sad state of affairs.

Last edited by drail; 07-26-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:49 PM

I bought both a full sized and Commander (with rail) 10mm RIA. First range trip with the Commander shot two magazines through it, shot another pistol and went home.

Field stripped the gun and ouch, the rear leg of the ejector had sheared off, flush with the frame. Hello Rock Island. Three days later a new ejector arrived. No matter what we tried we could not get the broken leg out. Per RIA sent the gun back on their dime. Less then a week later - Big Brown says we need your signature on this box.

Great customer service from RIA - a brand new pistol!

Thanks Rock Island! After checking BATFE's website yes a manufacturer, at their decision, can send a replacement gun to a private address...
Old 07-26-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Hopefully they will check it out better than when they shipped it out - but I would just pop for some new springs. They will b much better and allow the gun to run more reliably than the cheap springs RIA installs in their guns. And if they agree to pay shipping both ways to correct it they could have saved themselves a lot of money by just using quality springs. I always replace all of the factory springs with better ones on any gun I buy. No, you shouldn't have to, but the production gun manufacturers in the world today don't really seem to care how well their guns run - only that they sell a lot of them. It is a pretty sad state of affairs.
Sounds like a good idea. Hope they don't have mine too long.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
I bought both a full sized and Commander (with rail) 10mm RIA. First range trip with the Commander shot two magazines through it, shot another pistol and went home.

Field stripped the gun and ouch, the rear leg of the ejector had sheared off, flush with the frame. Hello Rock Island. Three days later a new ejector arrived. No matter what we tried we could not get the broken leg out. Per RIA sent the gun back on their dime. Less then a week later - Big Brown says we need your signature on this box.

Great customer service from RIA - a brand new pistol!

Thanks Rock Island! After checking BATFE's website yes a manufacturer, at their decision, can send a replacement gun to a private address...
Just out of curiosity, was the serial number on your replacement gun lower than the gun you returned? Mine was anyway.
Think they may be sending out someone elses repaired pistol while they fix yours, then the next guy with a bum gun needs it fixed, they send out your old repaired to them.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:28 PM

I didn't check to see if it was higher or lower. What I did receive was brand new; with no evidence of any work done to it.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:31 PM

that issue is a common issue when using low quality firing pin springs. even if you get it back from RIA I would spring for a WOLFF 18.5 lb recoil spring and it will come with an extra firing pin spring. replace both and shoot till your heart's content.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:33 PM

I had the same issue. Decided to fix it myself rather than send it in. All the info is there if you're interested:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=825329
Old 08-28-2017, 11:14 AM

Just bought a new Rock Ultra MS in 10mm. Problem right out of the box. Magazine won't stay in. Comes loose after firing a round or two. Also tried my other mags - Colt, Metalform and Chip McCormick. Same problems. Put 100 rounds through it. Contacted Rock Island and they sent a shipping label. Sent it back to RIA this morning. Disappointed because this is the only time I've had to send a 1911 back in 40 years of shooting.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 AM

I had the same problem with a CS 9mm.
Mags popped out after 1st round fired.
Mine was almost a year old when this started to happen.
They sent me a new gun ASAP.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjones1911 View Post
Just out of curiosity, was the serial number on your replacement gun lower than the gun you returned? Mine was anyway.
Think they may be sending out someone elses repaired pistol while they fix yours, then the next guy with a bum gun needs it fixed, they send out your old repaired to them.
Isn't there a legal problem with that?