It broke already! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 PM
tache tache is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
It broke already!

Just bought a RIA 1911 FS Tac .45ACP. The pistol jammed, and here the firing pin stop was so loose that it won't stay in place. It drops, and then the slide jams. It has less than 100rds. through it. RIA sent a shipping label and it went back to them. I hope that they will completely go over this pistol and make sure everything is as good as it can be. I want to be able to say that I'm glad I bought a Rock Island Armory pistol. We'll see, I guess.


Last edited by tache; 07-25-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 PM
ZanderMan ZanderMan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Orange Co, NC
Posts: 129
It broke already!

Their CS is very good. I think you'll be happy.
__________________
Past: RIA 1911 Tact II 10mm
Current: RIA TCM Rock Standard FS HC Combo
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-25-2017, 11:23 PM
Chuckn45s Chuckn45s is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 7
I got mine used and had the same issue 19rnds in. It did for all intensive purposes look new. Ria sent me a shipping label as well and were very pleasant to deal with. My previous ria gi had over 13,000rnds through it trouble free. I have no doubt it will come back gtg

Last edited by Chuckn45s; 07-25-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-26-2017, 05:42 AM
Slow bullet guy Slow bullet guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,278
Seems like that is a fairly common problem with Rocks. I'm sure they'll take care of it. If the problem happens again, it is easily solved with a new Firing Pin Stop that properly fits and a strong firing pin spring. Both are fairly simple to install/fit.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 AM
drail drail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,172
Wow. This is like the second time in a week we have seen this problem with RIA. They must have bought a truckload of cheap ass Chinese springs. Go to Wolfsprings.com and buy some extra recoil springs and they will give you a free extra power firing pin spring with each recoil spring. That will stop the FPS from falling down and also make the gun more drop safe. Personally I would just replace every single spring in the gun with quality springs from Wolff or ISMI. Your gun runs on springs and cheap ones will stop it from running. Even if the FPS is loose the spring should be holding it in place. You may also want to consider an oversize FPS from EGW (you will have to fit it to your slide - just a few minutes with a file) to take all of the slop out and also to keep your extractor from moving around. You don't need to send your gun back to fix this problem.

Last edited by drail; 07-26-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-26-2017, 05:56 AM
muzzleblast... muzzleblast... is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Obwat, Tennessee
Posts: 508
Bummer. But, its seems like RIAs customer service is well regarded.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM
broadus123 broadus123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sc
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
wow. This is like the second time in a week we have seen this problem with ria. They must have bought a truckload of cheap ass chinese springs. Go to wolfsprings.com and buy some extra recoil springs and they will give you a free extra power firing pin spring with each recoil spring. That will stop the fps from falling down and also make the gun more drop safe. Personally i would just replace every single spring in the gun with quality springs from wolff or ismi. Your gun runs on springs and cheap ones will stop it from running. Even if the fps is loose the spring should be holding it in place. You may also want to consider an oversize fps from egw (you will have to fit it to your slide - just a few minutes with a file) to take all of the slop out and also to keep your extractor from moving around. You don't need to send your gun back to fix this problem.
this !!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-26-2017, 11:55 AM
tache tache is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Wow. This is like the second time in a week we have seen this problem with RIA. They must have bought a truckload of cheap ass Chinese springs. Go to Wolfsprings.com and buy some extra recoil springs and they will give you a free extra power firing pin spring with each recoil spring. That will stop the FPS from falling down and also make the gun more drop safe. Personally I would just replace every single spring in the gun with quality springs from Wolff or ISMI. Your gun runs on springs and cheap ones will stop it from running. Even if the FPS is loose the spring should be holding it in place. You may also want to consider an oversize FPS from EGW (you will have to fit it to your slide - just a few minutes with a file) to take all of the slop out and also to keep your extractor from moving around. You don't need to send your gun back to fix this problem.
I agree, and I'm sure that I could handle this myself. But it is a brand new gun with less than 100 rds, through it. The FFL dealer that I bought it from felt that they should be held accountable, and I agreed. Plus, by sending it back, hopefully they will check the gun out and make sure there is nothing else that they missed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-26-2017, 12:19 PM
drail drail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,172
Hopefully they will check it out better than when they shipped it out - but I would just pop for some new springs. They will b much better and allow the gun to run more reliably than the cheap springs RIA installs in their guns. And if they agree to pay shipping both ways to correct it they could have saved themselves a lot of money by just using quality springs. I always replace all of the factory springs with better ones on any gun I buy. No, you shouldn't have to, but the production gun manufacturers in the world today don't really seem to care how well their guns run - only that they sell a lot of them. It is a pretty sad state of affairs.

Last edited by drail; 07-26-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-26-2017, 01:49 PM
cwo4uscgret cwo4uscgret is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midwest
Age: 67
Posts: 3,357
I bought both a full sized and Commander (with rail) 10mm RIA. First range trip with the Commander shot two magazines through it, shot another pistol and went home.

Field stripped the gun and ouch, the rear leg of the ejector had sheared off, flush with the frame. Hello Rock Island. Three days later a new ejector arrived. No matter what we tried we could not get the broken leg out. Per RIA sent the gun back on their dime. Less then a week later - Big Brown says we need your signature on this box.

Great customer service from RIA - a brand new pistol!

Thanks Rock Island! After checking BATFE's website yes a manufacturer, at their decision, can send a replacement gun to a private address...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-26-2017, 02:29 PM
tache tache is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Hopefully they will check it out better than when they shipped it out - but I would just pop for some new springs. They will b much better and allow the gun to run more reliably than the cheap springs RIA installs in their guns. And if they agree to pay shipping both ways to correct it they could have saved themselves a lot of money by just using quality springs. I always replace all of the factory springs with better ones on any gun I buy. No, you shouldn't have to, but the production gun manufacturers in the world today don't really seem to care how well their guns run - only that they sell a lot of them. It is a pretty sad state of affairs.
Sounds like a good idea. Hope they don't have mine too long.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 PM
jimjones1911 jimjones1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
I bought both a full sized and Commander (with rail) 10mm RIA. First range trip with the Commander shot two magazines through it, shot another pistol and went home.

Field stripped the gun and ouch, the rear leg of the ejector had sheared off, flush with the frame. Hello Rock Island. Three days later a new ejector arrived. No matter what we tried we could not get the broken leg out. Per RIA sent the gun back on their dime. Less then a week later - Big Brown says we need your signature on this box.

Great customer service from RIA - a brand new pistol!

Thanks Rock Island! After checking BATFE's website yes a manufacturer, at their decision, can send a replacement gun to a private address...
Just out of curiosity, was the serial number on your replacement gun lower than the gun you returned? Mine was anyway.
Think they may be sending out someone elses repaired pistol while they fix yours, then the next guy with a bum gun needs it fixed, they send out your old repaired to them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-26-2017, 10:28 PM
cwo4uscgret cwo4uscgret is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Midwest
Age: 67
Posts: 3,357
I didn't check to see if it was higher or lower. What I did receive was brand new; with no evidence of any work done to it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-26-2017, 11:31 PM
wormraper wormraper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,906
that issue is a common issue when using low quality firing pin springs. even if you get it back from RIA I would spring for a WOLFF 18.5 lb recoil spring and it will come with an extra firing pin spring. replace both and shoot till your heart's content.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-31-2017, 08:33 PM
Glaive Glaive is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 17
I had the same issue. Decided to fix it myself rather than send it in. All the info is there if you're interested:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=825329
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-28-2017, 11:14 AM
[email protected] markgrim@foxvalley is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: IL
Posts: 6
Just bought a new Rock Ultra MS in 10mm. Problem right out of the box. Magazine won't stay in. Comes loose after firing a round or two. Also tried my other mags - Colt, Metalform and Chip McCormick. Same problems. Put 100 rounds through it. Contacted Rock Island and they sent a shipping label. Sent it back to RIA this morning. Disappointed because this is the only time I've had to send a 1911 back in 40 years of shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 AM
JaysGone JaysGone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Delray Beach Florida
Posts: 765
I had the same problem with a CS 9mm.
Mags popped out after 1st round fired.
Mine was almost a year old when this started to happen.
They sent me a new gun ASAP.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-29-2017, 07:22 AM
Oldfut808 Oldfut808 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Waipahu, HI
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjones1911 View Post
Just out of curiosity, was the serial number on your replacement gun lower than the gun you returned? Mine was anyway.
Think they may be sending out someone elses repaired pistol while they fix yours, then the next guy with a bum gun needs it fixed, they send out your old repaired to them.
...
Isn't there a legal problem with that?
__________________
"What, Me Worry?"
NRA/Patron/Instructor/RSO
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved