Will a 22 cal really have any value? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: a 22 cal rifle or pistol if SHTF would be my?
22 cal would not be first choice 359 75.90%
22 cal is my first choice 114 24.10%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
Remington subs are The Worst Subs Ever Made.

I've had great results with CCI and stellar results with Fiocchi sub HP's (22FHPSUB).
I agree, sadly, I bought TONS of the damned things several years ago- caught a 'good' deal.

I prefer CCI segmented subsonics; reliable, consistent, and a hands down the best bullet design for .22LR out there. Sadly, I haven't seen them in stock in a few years. I don't believe they've made a production run since the Newton shortage.

Whats the accuracy and terminal performance like with the Fiocchi?
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams

Last edited by wccountryboy; 08-19-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
I agree, sadly, I bought TONS of the damned things several years ago- caught a 'good' deal.

I prefer CCI segmented subsonics; reliable, consistent, and a hands down the best bullet design for .22LR out there. Sadly, I haven't seen them in stock in a few years. I don't believe they've made a production run since the Newton shortage.

The CCI segmented subsonic are a great choice.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired AF CE View Post
The CCI segmented subsonic are a great choice.
First, I apologize for the thread drift..

Yep, devastating on feral dogs/coyotes, maybe a bit of overkill for rabbits and coons... and IMPOSSIBLE to find. If anyone has a source that has them IN STOCK for $100/brick or better, I'll pay a finders fee... what I'm looking for is the CCI segmented subsonic @1050fps.

OK, to get back on topic, in a 1 gun world, where portability, sustenance hunting, and defense are all considerations, a 22LR rifle/carbine isn't it...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 08-20-2015, 05:05 AM

Peoples perception of SHTF bad times is warped IMO

They have this apocalyptic grandiose belief that people will be running around causing mayhem and death. I think the scenario that occured in Katrina is more apropos.

There will be a few instances of violence ( nothing a 22 RF is - would not be capable for ) but for the most part there will be chaos and water and food shortages.

In a mobile situation a 22 R F rifle / pistol would have more advantages than disadvantages . IMO of course.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:50 AM

While I wouldn't choose a .22 as my primary SHTF weapon, I wouldn't feel to undergunned with it. I would use it as one person told me they would. Use it to get a better gun. With its small muzzle blast and its capability of being more easily suppressed there is a place for it.
Unfortunately, in my case, I will probably get taken down, or over whelmed, while standing in front of my open gun safe trying to decide which gun to take.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
Unfortunately, in my case, I will probably get taken down, or over whelmed, while standing in front of my open gun safe trying to decide which gun to take.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:10 PM

I used to keep a .22 take down and a brick in my plane, just in case I could walk away from a forced landing (aka crash) in a remote area. I also would have had an edc handgun with limited ammo.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
My friend once said the same thing to me. If anybody broke into my place at 3am I'd be taken out before I could make up my mind which gun to grab!
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:35 PM

I don't think a 22 would be my first choice if the SHTF, I would definitely have a few around though, it's just too useful of a weapon imo.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Banned

Will it have value, sure every firearm will have value. Will I spend my resources on some awesome 22 and a stockpile of ammo, nope.

To my mind the primary focus of preparation needs to be the first couple weeks, they will be a battle to survive and grab/keep all that you can for the long haul. A 22 will be near useless in those first couple weeks and during they're will be plenty of 22 around to grab.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:42 PM

A 22 in the ear can be very convincing, korben.
At least in the country.

I guess if you have to fight your way out of the Bronx it would different.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:

They've killed everything I've shot with them DRT (dead right there). The HP on them looks identical to the CCI, but the accuracy is simply phenomenal in my Savage FV-SR. It's a one hole group at 25 yards and opens up to about 0.75" at 50.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
They've killed everything I've shot with them DRT (dead right there). The HP on them looks identical to the CCI, but the accuracy is simply phenomenal in my Savage FV-SR. It's a one hole group at 25 yards and opens up to about 0.75" at 50.
Thanks for the update on the Fiochcci; I appreciate it. As I mentioned in another thread in the rimfire section, shortly after I posted here, I wandered into a local shop that had tons of CCI segmented on hand; no limits... I picked up 2 bricks- I may go back for more if time permits.

The accuracy sounds very good; its one of the thinks I like about the CCI; 1" at 50 all day long. The single biggest selling point for me however, is th segmented bullet. In addition to excellent to very good terminal performance on up to coyotes feral dogs (within the practical range limitations of course), the way the bullet 'fragments' for lack of a better term provides a margin of safety. The bullet simply comes apart when it hits something, and bleeds off energy rapidly. It doesn't ricochet... particularly helpful when shooting turtles or beavers in the ponds. I'd rather not have a round go flying into the great unknown.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:36 PM

Many seem to forget the noise of a 22 lr is no where near that of a 223 or larger. A 22 lr can also be suppresed ( where legal ) to a whisper level. And that has many many advantages .
Old 08-24-2015, 09:06 PM

The question was, "does it have value?"

I have observed that the items that have the most value to me are those that I want or need, right now. Items that I have stocked up don't seem valuable to me. I hope I find that I have something of great value to someone else, and they have something I need. In that case, 22lr might have great value. What have you got for me?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead eye View Post
Many seem to forget the noise of a 22 lr is no where near that of a 223 or larger. A 22 lr can also be suppresed ( where legal ) to a whisper level. And that has many many advantages .
My .22 shooting is almost exclusively suppressed; its about as much fun as you can have...

However, in our hypothetical, SHTF, 1 gun world, very quiet doesn't make up for a caliber that is impotent for many of the required uses of a firearm.

In a defensive mode, you're not going to get to 'put a gun in someone's ear' or get a shot in an eye.... you're fighting at ranges out to maybe 50m (about limit of the .22 for reliable terminal effects) and you're using a flash sight picture to get rounds on target. You're not taking up a solid shooting position and using slow aimed fire to get a bullet in someone's eye.

While fine, and probably the best choice, for squirrels and rabbits, the .22 is not an effective hunting round for medium to large game.

The advantages of easy suppression are easily overshadowed by its limitations. If you want suppression AND an all around effective weapon, an AR in .300 may be worth considering- though ammo would be an issue.

The .22, while useful, is more of a specialty tool rather than a general purpose tool. In the one gun world, the selection needs to be well rounded.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
My .22 shooting is almost exclusively suppressed; its about as much fun as you can have...

However, in our hypothetical, SHTF, 1 gun world, very quiet doesn't make up for a caliber that is impotent for many of the required uses of a firearm.

In a defensive mode, you're not going to get to 'put a gun in someone's ear' or get a shot in an eye.... you're fighting at ranges out to maybe 50m (about limit of the .22 for reliable terminal effects) and you're using a flash sight picture to get rounds on target. You're not taking up a solid shooting position and using slow aimed fire to get a bullet in someone's eye.

While fine, and probably the best choice, for squirrels and rabbits, the .22 is not an effective hunting round for medium to large game.

The advantages of easy suppression are easily overshadowed by its limitations. If you want suppression AND an all around effective weapon, an AR in .300 may be worth considering- though ammo would be an issue.

The .22, while useful, is more of a specialty tool rather than a general purpose tool. In the one gun world, the selection needs to be well rounded.
Old timers sustenance hunting in Alaska used 22 lr to hunt moose ( one 22lr lung shot ..animal just stands there and bleeds to death ) poachers kill deer with 22 lr all the time...death is effective just not immediate...whats the rush ?
Cougars were shot and killed with 22 lr while treed.

Today people tend to recommend a sledge hammer when a tack driver will do....what do I mean...just ask what gun for bear..omg the responces are hilarity.

I for one like to use the 22 lr to accomplish much more than it is ever given credit of being capable of doing within the realm of being a responcible humane hunter
Old 09-03-2015, 01:52 PM

I own two ruger 10/22 takedowns, one Ruger 10/22 magnum and a older pre warning 10/22 with many magazines, plus a Remington 552 Speedmaster that I bought new 45 years ago, a Browning .22, a calico .22. Plus a few .22 revolvers and pistols.
I have dozens of other rifles and long guns in assorted calibers so my plan is to hunker down and defend my home. I do not want to leave because I would have to abandon too many guns plus reloading equipment. If I did leave I would bring at least one .22 but I would also bring as many other guns as I can carry. I would bring at least two shotguns (Remington 870 plus a Saiga with two 10 round drum magazines) Also at least two 1911s in .45 ACP. probably a handgun and rifle in the same caliber. Maybe a Coonan .357 and a Winchester lever action both chambered in .357. Or maybe a .44 magnum revolver and Winchester lever action both chambered in .44 magnum.

Unless you only own one gun it would be foolish to bring your 10/22 and leaving all the others behind.

I would leave the house only if it has been burned down and if I go I would bring six to twelve guns with me.

This will sound crazy to many butI like the idea of bringing an old outdated obsolete M1 Garand with me. The gun is heavy, the ammo is heavy and bulky but if you hit something it will go down.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Old timers sustenance hunting in Alaska used 22 lr to hunt moose ( one 22lr lung shot ..animal just stands there and bleeds to death ) poachers kill deer with 22 lr all the time...death is effective just not immediate...whats the rush ?

Today people tend to recommend a sledge hammer when a tack driver will do....what do I mean...just ask what gun for bear..omg the responces are hilarity.

I for one like to use the 22 lr to accomplish much more than it is ever given credit of being capable of doing within the realm of being a responsible humane hunter
One shot Moose with a 22lr? I am sure it has happened but why? Poachers using 22lr? Why not use a cross bow?
Old 09-03-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:

I for one like to use the 22 lr to accomplish much more than it is ever given credit of being capable of doing within the realm of being a responcible humane hunter
If you are going to hunt the ethical thing to do is give the animal a quick death instead os a slow painful one. If you are protecting yourself you want to end the attack quickly before he has the chance to kill you. Many people have been killed by a dead man, that is a person with a fatal wound that stays alive long enough to return fire after he has been shot and stays alive long enough to fire a shot that kills you
Old 09-04-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercorvette View Post
If you are going to hunt the ethical thing to do is give the animal a quick death instead os a slow painful one. If you are protecting yourself you want to end the attack quickly before he has the chance to kill you. Many people have been killed by a dead man, that is a person with a fatal wound that stays alive long enough to return fire after he has been shot and stays alive long enough to fire a shot that kills you
Lung shot moose is a humane death , animals lungs fill with blood it goes to sleep basicly. Lung shots are kill shots...after all killing can only be so humane ...

As far as self defense ......another story. Guns are tools, there are different tools for different jobs.....no one tool can be perfect for everything. Are you going to shoot a squirrel with a 357 magnum......? Or use a 22 rf.
This whole apocalyptic man shooting other men is over thought IMO might it be nessasary possible ....will it be a war zone, only on tv I think.
Interested in hearing other perpestives though.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:44 AM

Me, no. I've been in two wars and woukdmt want a .22 in either. I can kill a deer or anything else I need to with 5.56 and carry a ton of ammo worth out issue.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:55 AM

A lung shot is a clean kill when both lungs and the heart are destroyed... a .22 hole i the lung of a big game animal results in it drowning in its own blood..... often hours after being shot...
Old 09-06-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
A lung shot is a clean kill when both lungs and the heart are destroyed... a .22 hole i the lung of a big game animal results in it drowning in its own blood..... often hours after being shot...
Pretty much accurate.....we are still talking " survival " right ? Not sport hunting, because in a survival situation I really don't care if if it takes 2 hours for the critter to die just as long as I can retrive it , plus I'veI seen neck shot deer go down fast with a poacher using 22 lr ( used to help game wardens bust them ) So I know that 22 lr can kill large game ...I'm not repeating what I read or heard I've seen it....plus were talking survival.....not sport hunting.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:21 PM

I'm don't prep, but I do have some stores to maintain in place a little while. After the tornados in 2011 when we were w/o power for 7+ days, very little cell service and threats of water outage (which never appeared), I figured a few things I need to keep around. I don't have large ammo stores but reload my own so I do have lots of components to make more. I do however have lots of .22 and about 8 guns to shoot them with. If the zombies or thugs start showing up at my door and the .223, .357, .45 and all the rest of the calibers run out, I guess my daughters and I will be triple tapping the badguys with .22. My girls are all pretty good shots so slow moving zombies should not be a problem.