Ithaca just back from Vulcan Gun Refinishing! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 03:41 PM

Ithaca just back from Vulcan Gun Refinishing!

I just received my USGI Ithaca 1911 back from Nick at Vulcan Gun Finishing out of Maidstone Ontario.

This was a lend-lease gun that went to Britain during WWII that managed to find its way back to North America. It has a number of British proofs on.

The gun as shown in the before pictures had a terrible finish on it. It had been buffed heavily, wearing some of the markings down and taking off all the sharp edges. It had some light pitting, nicks and dents in various places.

Suffice it to say, it was an ugly gun. But it is an awesome shooter. It runs and shoots very well. So, I decided to have it refinished at Vulcan to see how it would look.

To say I am extremely pleased with the end product is an understatement.

The park job was really well done. What was amazing was the metal work he did. He brought back all the sharp edges that had been buffed out. The fine detail file work he did on areas like the slide serrations were amazing. The whole gun looks like new.

Some of the markings were lost in the process. Couldn't be helped. Nick offered to have them laser engraved back on, but I opted not to.

Two spots of tig weld had to be applied, one to a dent in the right side of the slide that couldn't be filed out, and the other to build up the shoulder around the ejection port that had been ground/buffed down. There is some slight discoloration in the park finish at these locations. Again something that couldn't be helped, and certainly does not detract from the quality of the work done.

Nick does fantastic work. All of which he not only photographed, but video recorded as well and posted on You Tube! You can check out his You Tube Videos under: Jason Ithaca 1911A1 by 1928a1tommy. I think it was six or seven videos he did!

I have had work done on my guns by various gunsmiths over the years with mixed results. I can tell you that I am very satisfied with the work and level of service that Nick provides. I will not hesitate to have him work on my guns again.

Before:

After:

I have since added some replacement original Keyes grips to the pistol. (Thanks Barry!)

If you looking to restore or refinish your WWII guns or anything else for that matter, I highly recommend you give Nick a call.

As a side note, while I didn't opt for it, Nick offers a green park finish that dupliclates the original finish on aged service guns that were stored in the grease. Something you may wish to consider!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:18 PM

Looks like he did a good job. I normally don't like refinishes but this one looks good. Would you be willing to share the cost on that work?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:29 AM

I've seen Nick's work up close and it certainly is of high quality. Nick is an artist who takes pride in his work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 04:01 AM

Impressive! I too am interested in cost.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Excellent job and certainly justified considering what you started with. Unfortunately, I don't think we can send any guns to Canada for any reason.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldoTheApache View Post
Looks like he did a good job. I normally don't like refinishes but this one looks good. Would you be willing to share the cost on that work?
All the work, tax and shipping $670.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Excellent job and certainly justified considering what you started with. Unfortunately, I don't think we can send any guns to Canada for any reason.
I can do a temporary export of my guns into the US to send them to a gunsmith...can't imagine it would be any different for you.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 AM

I've seen refinishes by Nick at Vulcan and he does really nice work.

We are lucky to have him in Canada. I don't know what would be involved for Americans to have him to refinishes but it may we worth looking into, he has good prices considering all the work he does.

I have seen another Ithaca sent to Vulcan that was a COMPLETE wreck, and it came back beautiful, he had to do considerable metal work:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=89400

He has also done very nice work on M1 Garands and other USGI's.

-Steve
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 AM

Was this the gun that was on youtube? There was a nice youtube video showing an Ithaca restoration.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffhuntr View Post
As a side note, while I didn't opt for it, Nick offers a green park finish that dupliclates the original finish on aged service guns that were stored in the grease. Something you may wish to consider!
Military weapons that were never stored in grease also have the green tint, and only those weapons put into long term storage were stored in grease.
The color has to do with the phosphate process rather than being stored in grease.

The Remington 03-A3 (and 03-A4) is noted for the green color of it's phosphate, while the color of the Smith-Corona phosphate is gray.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:22 PM

The general concensis that cosmoline will eventually give Parkerizing a greeish tint is not true. Like Johnny mentions, it is the phosfate soulution, probably at the end of a run, caused by the collection of impurities in the solution.