Who's laughing now ? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-04-2020, 06:59 PM

I was waiting for a proper prepper "I told you so" thread. Too funny!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:04 PM

Like some here, I typically have enough supply on habd to last several months... partially out of not wanting to be caught short, mostly out of frugality . I have the space and capability to prepare and store food and dry goods in bulk. I rotate stocks, living out of one stash, and replenishing as needed.
I do so primarily because I'm a bit on the cheap side. Buying things that are shelf stable from Sams or Costco is significantly less expensive than buying small quantities from the supermarket. Same with buying on sale.

Like most here, I help my friends when they need it. Over the last week, I've pushed out a truckload of paper products and rice, beans, chicken, pork, pasta, sauces, butter, flour, sugar etc to those I know that have been caught short....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 04-04-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdog View Post
Do you guys really crap so much that you need 100 rolls of toilet paper?
That new diet of beans and rice has consequences.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeedaudio View Post

I got 96 rolls just in my bug out vehicle. Probably 2,000 rolls in my storage garage.

)
Damn, that's why the stores run out. If people would use common sense and just get what they need for a couple of weeks there would be plenty.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:18 PM

You aren't the only one. I also have around six months for a supply, maybe longer still. The Mormon families also keep a stockpile of provisions too. Their Bishops manage a warehouse for those living in apartments, etc who can't keep their provisions easily at home. They suggest trying to have a years supply for their families on hand. Many of the survival food stores both online, brick and mortar have their locations in Utah too.

As for helping others by giving them some of my food, I don't know, I am not that charitable. As soon as one gets stuff from you then everyone else will be demanding some too. Then you run out and are in the same situation they are. It reminds me of the ant and the grasshopper story.

As for toilet paper; you can simply hop into the shower and wash your backside. No big deal. Much less irritation on thew backside too. If you are well off, you likely have a bidet and you have a use for it now, not just your wife or girlfriend.

Last edited by earlwb; 04-04-2020 at 09:20 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-04-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
amen brother! I am not stocked to the rafters but i'm better off than most. My wife and i are getting ready to head out and do some shopping for some older friends that don't need to be out in this.

All of this reminds me of the stories my grandmother told about ww2. The apartment building turned into its own little colony. They pooled their rations and the older women stayed home and cooked, did laundry and watched the kids while the able bodied women went to work in the factories supporting the war effort.

exactly.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC shooter View Post
Good neighbors, good friends and good family are a blessing and anyone trying to be the neighbor that they would like to have is a blessing to their neighbors. It sounds like you have some very blessed neighbors.

I think there are a lot of Good Neighbors out there, a bunch of them on this board.

As for having Blessed Neighbors?

When I die, if at least one person comes to my funeral and states "He was a good neighbor.", I'll have done good as that "Blessing" goes both ways.

Y'all stay safe out there, keep your powder dry and your steel oiled.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMCKY View Post
The short answer is - I AM.

I've been mocked and accused of being "paranoid", by many I know
for keeping 6+ months of provisions; food, water weapons, and other
provisions - just in case of (place SHTF disaster here).

Now, they're apologizing and wishing they had been more "forward -
looking", and asking me to sell them toilet paper. I have 50 rolls, and
I'm keeping them.

I have years of "just in case" money, no debt, my job is secure, and
(really) this "Covid-19 apocalypse" has no effect on me at all.

I knew one day my "prepping" would pay off, and that day is here.

I believe this will greatly change the attitudes of many in America
about "being prepared" and I (also) have a few hundred pounds of
silver, which, with the affect of the 4+ trillion $ "stimulus" should
be raising the value of silver (probably) to the sky, due to the lower
value of The Dollar...
Bully for you...I'm still laughing (not at you in particular, just a general chuckle at the whole "end of the world" prepper mentality). It was especially amusing when all my neighbors in CA were buying generators and canned food for Y2K.

I guess its all well and good if you have kiddos to care for but I'm on my own...and, quite frankly, I dont really want to live in a world where I'm just surviving and not LIVING. A world where I cant play 18 holes of golf and then then grab sushi and beer with my buddies afterward, or have my favorite pizza delivered, or spend a week on the beach in Playa Del Carmen while enjoying complementary WiFi to read the posts on this forum and buy more guns that will be waiting for me when I get home.

If the zombie apocalypse really happened I'd stick around long enough to kill some "walkers"...until I got bored with it or ran outta ammo. The last round would definitely be saved for me. I like hot showers, fresh underwear and oral hygiene too much to be "survivor man". Its pretty much the things that keep me from telling my employer to go fu*k themselves and living homeless off the grid.

Last edited by Flight Medic; 04-04-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMCKY View Post
I knew one day my "prepping" would pay off, and that day is here.

I believe this will greatly change the attitudes of many in America
about "being prepared" and I (also) have a few hundred pounds of
silver, which, with the affect of the 4+ trillion $ "stimulus" should
be raising the value of silver (probably) to the sky, due to the lower
value of The Dollar...
Tell me how your days off prepping have paid off??? You boarded up somewhere fighting off the hoards??

Well....good luck. You might want to dial up the Hunt Bros. They might be able to help you out with the silver you've managed to scrounge up.

The problem with silver.....or gold....or platinum.....or any other "precious" metal is this. You can't eat it, nor can you protect your family with it. You guys who hoard it....collect it.....thinking it will be useful in the apocalypse, haven't figured out that it's useless. When things get as bad as you clowns think it's going to get....only things of utility will be useful in a barter economy. And a chunk of silver is....well....pretty useless.

Got cash on hand?? Good. Anyone who's retired or understands finance 10, knows you should have a couple of years of cash on hand for when the market goes down. And it will. So congrats on knowing what us retirees have known for decades.

BTW....In the past 2 weeks, silver is down 22%.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:39 AM

You guys ever hear/read that joke about what's the smallest caliber you can carry and be effective against a grizzly bear? The answer is 25acp. You don't have to shoot the bear, just the person next to you...

Same with this prepper stuff. The most important thing to prep is a weapon system. To either fend off would be leeches that come for your stores, or for you to assault the keeper of said stores. IE - nobody needs 50 rolls of charmin, all you need is a 25acp to get rid of the person who already bought 50 rolls of charmin. (if it comes to that, hypothetically of course etc)

molon lavatory, or something like that.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Hey, you're talking to guys who need to keep 10,000 rounds of ammunition on hand despite the fact there's no way they could possibly carry it all in a bug-out situation.
Yep. I am adopting a four ammo can rule. How the heck are you going to transport 10,000 rounds, not to mention the weight.

For instance, I left town to head to the cottage last week and did NOT take all my ammo. What’s the point?
Old 04-05-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Tell me how your days off prepping have paid off??? You boarded up somewhere fighting off the hoards??

Well....good luck. You might want to dial up the Hunt Bros. They might be able to help you out with the silver you've managed to scrounge up.

The problem with silver.....or gold....or platinum.....or any other "precious" metal is this. You can't eat it, nor can you protect your family with it. You guys who hoard it....collect it.....thinking it will be useful in the apocalypse, haven't figured out that it's useless. When things get as bad as you clowns think it's going to get....only things of utility will be useful in a barter economy. And a chunk of silver is....well....pretty useless.

Got cash on hand?? Good. Anyone who's retired or understands finance 10, knows you should have a couple of years of cash on hand for when the market goes down. And it will. So congrats on knowing what us retirees have known for decades.

BTW....In the past 2 weeks, silver is down 22%.
It's an old fetish. Precious metals only have abstract value and if you're hoarding them to "prep" for the coming apocalypse, well good luck with that. Every so often an archeologist or regular someone in Britain or in Europe will dig up or stumble on some bag of gold or silver coins that use to belong to a dead Roman with the same fetish. A stark reminder of how much that bag of abstraction was of value to its owner in those times as well.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:44 AM

Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thig View Post
Damn, that's why the stores run out. If people would use common sense and just get what they need for a couple of weeks there would be plenty.
Common Sense is buying a little extra basic supplies each time you go out shopping and not waiting for the Pandemic. I did not run out when the Pandemic hit and buy 2000 Rolls of Toilet Paper. I did not go out and buy 20,000+ rounds of ammo all at one time.

No different than planning for retirement. You save a little every payday for 40 years you don’t wait until the year you’re going to retire and realize you don’t have enough money.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:28 AM

Just A Reminder

A lot of you are saying “No one needs 50 rolls of Toilet Paper”.

You remind me a lot of our Liberal Friends.

“No one needs an AR-15 or an AK-47.”
“No one needs a High Capacity Magazine.”
Old 04-05-2020, 10:35 AM

The question is:

At what point does "prepping" become "hoarding"?

I'd suggest that what one does prior to a shortage is one's own business. Trying to stock up as or after a an event begins is another matter....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 04-05-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Wow. Should we all do that with guns and ammo, too? What about food? Keeping a well stocked pantry makes sense so that in normal times you're not running to the store everyday to get things you need and when things get difficult you're set to weather the storm. And that applies to everything from food staples, to ammo, to paper products.

We're not preppers per se but we have a small farm and our freezers and pantry are full, we have plenty of the stuff we use on a daily basis so that we haven't had to panic buy or worry over this current craziness. And we've suddenly had all kinds of people calling us for eggs, chicks, piglets, and breeder rabbits because folks are feeling the pinch as they realize that they weren't ready for this down turn. Hopefully when this is over those same folks will have learned something and start planning ahead a little so they're better prepared for the next time there's a problem.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 04-05-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeedaudio View Post
A lot of you are saying “No one needs 50 rolls of Toilet Paper”.

You remind me a lot of our Liberal Friends.

“No one needs an AR-15 or an AK-47.”

“No one needs a High Capacity Magazine.”
No correlation at all, no one's trying to take our toilet paper from us. We created that shortage by hoarding. I am as 2A, conservative as anyone but I am buying 2000 rolls of toilet paper.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
No correlation at all, no one's trying to take our toilet paper from us. We created that shortage by hoarding. I am as 2A, conservative as anyone but I am buying 2000 rolls of toilet paper.
Meant to say NOT buying.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
The question is:

At what point does "prepping" become "hoarding"?

I'd suggest that what one does prior to a shortage is one's own business. Trying to stock up as or after a an event begins is another matter....
Agreed.....I think you are right on target.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc145 View Post
Wow. Should we all do that with guns and ammo, too? What about food? Keeping a well stocked pantry makes sense so that in normal times you're not running to the store everyday to get things you need and when things get difficult you're set to weather the storm. And that applies to everything from food staples, to ammo, to paper products.

We're not preppers per se but we have a small farm and our freezers and pantry are full, we have plenty of the stuff we use on a daily basis so that we haven't had to panic buy or worry over this current craziness. And we've suddenly had all kinds of people calling us for eggs, chicks, piglets, and breeder rabbits because folks are feeling the pinch as they realize that they weren't ready for this down turn. Hopefully when this is over those same folks will have learned something and start planning ahead a little so they're better prepared for the next time there's a problem.
They ain't gonna learn squat. When this is over they will all stick their face back in their i phone until the next one. The smart ones will use this as a learning experience and adapt and over come
Old 04-05-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc145 View Post
Concur... I typically keep 50#s of rice, 50 of red and black beans, 30ish of pasta on hand... flour, sugar, salt, pepper in lessor, but bulk quantities. Cooking oil, butter, , canned sauces and goods... months worth at any time... The freezer is 3/4 full on a bad day...

2-3 Sams Club packs of TP and paper towels at a given time. Same with soap, toothpaste, deodorant, bleach, vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, etc...

For me, this is the norm. Not out of hording, and only somewhat for "prepping"... mostly of frugality and despising shopping, and wishing to keep it to a minimum...
Old 04-05-2020, 01:44 PM

Since the dawn of time, there's been one weak link in every, single human endeavor...... the human!!!! People, by and large, can be a very disappointing lot. Times like these highlight that fact, from all sides of the equation. You have those who live in their imaginary bubble, going about lost in the fog, and subsequently panic at the slightest provocation because they've been, well, lost in the fog for so long. Then there's the other side: the self-serving, self-righteous, damn-everyone-else, I'm-in-it-for-me types. In the middle are those (few) who take 'caring for each other' seriously, and spare what they can when those truly needy require a hand.

If you're sitting atop your bunker, with its hoard of ammo, food, toilet paper, toothpicks, etc., great, good for you. If you're living day to day, oblivious to what goes on around you, then you may wish to rethink your position. The bottom line is that no one will survive a true, extreme survival scenario (of the 'prep for' type) alone - at least not for very long. You're better off thinking 'bigger picture' and caring a bit more about either your situation or your fellow man - who might just be the one that saves your butt one day down the road.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Since the dawn of time, there's been one weak link in every, single human endeavor...... the human!!!! People, by and large, can be a very disappointing lot. Times like these highlight that fact, from all sides of the equation. You have those who live in their imaginary bubble, going about lost in the fog, and subsequently panic at the slightest provocation because they've been, well, lost in the fog for so long. Then there's the other side: the self-serving, self-righteous, damn-everyone-else, I'm-in-it-for-me types. In the middle are those (few) who take 'caring for each other' seriously, and spare what they can when those truly needy require a hand.

If you're sitting atop your bunker, with its hoard of ammo, food, toilet paper, toothpicks, etc., great, good for you. If you're living day to day, oblivious to what goes on around you, then you may wish to rethink your position. The bottom line is that no one will survive a true, extreme survival scenario (of the 'prep for' type) alone - at least not for very long. You're better off thinking 'bigger picture' and caring a bit more about either your situation or your fellow man - who might just be the one that saves your butt one day down the road.

Last edited by NonHyphenAmerican; 04-05-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post

Very solid post. Never forget the human dynamic. Like it or not, humans are fudementaly pack animals. We require some degree of interaction, either direct or indirect, to survive.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:45 PM

As for the bags of Roman gold found in the ground. Okay, it didn't help him at the last minute but it may have helped him earlier and at least his enemies didn't benefit from it. And the next Roman, whose loot wasn't found, it did help him.

One method used as recently as post WWII was to have gold rolled into rod and sewn into the hem of a garment