1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-01-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne3593 View Post
A simple face mask is all that is needed for covid along with proper knowledge of how to use PPE. You've no idea how many people I've seen with gloves on touch nearly everything in their vicinity then answer a call and touch their face with the same gloves defeating the purpose of the gloves. Saw that at the store the other day. These same people then touch their keys and wallets to get in their vehicles and presumably move their new purchase from car to inside the house with the same gloves. Those at risk (immuno compromised, older, respiratory issues....) Should take extra precautions for sure and educate themselves on proper use of PPE. Those who aren't, should don a face mask (not N95) as a precaution and we should be grown enough not to be told to wash our hands. N95 is required for airborne diseases like tuberculosis unless you are using something like a nebulizer on someone who has covid (like you would with the flu). If one chooses to wear an N95 and has a beard, you're going to have to shave to get a proper seal to your face otherwise the N95 won't be effective for airborne illness(seen this mistake as well in the store). As someone that is actively interacting with patients with and without this, take a breath and treat it with the same precautions as flu prevention. Media is blowing this way out of proportion and is causing more panic than is needed. Yes it is serious but what scares people the most is that it is unfamiliar and watching the over reaction of the general public which heightenes their own anxiety. One final note, why are we so trusting of the media when they are talking about medical concerns but immediately distrust the same media as ignorant and untrustworthy when talking about firearms? I've seen so little from the news outlets that wasn't speculation. Just food for thought.
Information is osmotic. It seeks to fill all voids and when there is a lack of true, accurate or good information, the bad flows in to balance it out.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM

The Media and/or Government miss led us???...........say it ain't so!

Everything we hear or read is suspect.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM

Team America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
Maybe I will start wearing this when I go out
derka derka
Old 04-01-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
Gloves have their place. But you cannot wear them all day and expect them to help. Put them on when you feel you may be exposed, then remove and wash your hands. Ref the N-95 masks, they catch 95% of all particles 3 microns or larger. The Corona Virus is smaller than that, btx 1 and 2 microns. Like the gloves you cannot, use them indefinitely. They eventually become contaminated. Some say they help remind them not to touch their faces. I have gloves I wear whenever I leave the house. Into a place, I purel them when I get back in the car, wipe the car down etc. I also use the gloves for opening packages and carrying boxes to the burn barrel. (Which gets a lot of use now) Fire is lit, gloves go in, wash or sanitize my hands.
Actually under the NIOSH standard, the N95 protects against 95% of particulates 0.3 microns or larger.

https://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/bioter/n95masks.html
Quote:
The N95 is made by various manufacturers under different names, from MSA's "Affinity Foldable Respirator" to 3M's "Particulate Respirator." Look for "NIOSH N95" on the package; the "N95" is a government efficiency rating that means the mask blocks about 95 percent of particles that are 0.3 microns in size or larger.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:55 PM

Home Depot halts sales of N95 to customers

They are donating them to hospitals and first responders.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...19/5101861002/
Quote:
Home Depot said it has halted all sales of N95 masks at its stores and website and "redirected" them to be donated to hospitals, health care workers and first responders treating patients during the coronavirus pandemic.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
They are donating them to hospitals and first responders.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...19/5101861002/
Now I know where I am going to buy all my bunker building materials
Old 04-03-2020, 06:13 AM

Maria B. reported just now CDC will come out with recommendation for the entire population to now wear masks...Well, glad the CDC Bureaucracy finally applied some common sense. I wonder how many man-hours these brilliant minds spent on this. They could have did this in 5 mins if they read some of my posts now even many weeks old talking about how well an N95 mask has worked for me over the last 10 years or so while on chemo...

I don't care how many degrees a person has, I have my share also, or how brilliant a person thinks they are, always apply common sense. I guess as our society gets more and more dependent on the so called experts and government bureaucrats to make decisions for them even on some very obvious things, common sense isn't that common anymore.

And it isn't just the medical establishment, think of some of the nutty reports which have come out of the FBI over the years, like Trump-Campaign is full of Russian operatives, oh and the other one: like 9mm=45 ballistically. ;-)...OK, sorry, just couldn't resist, just some stress relief during these challenging times :-)..
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 04-03-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:36 AM

The s——t hole China has 1.4 + billion people. That commie country imho can lose the population of our entire country in the US. And not miss them. China one of the biggest polluters in the world!
Old 04-03-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Information is osmotic. It seeks to fill all voids and when there is a lack of true, accurate or good information, the bad flows in to balance it out.
This world is drowning in information.

It is starving for knowledge.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Quote:

That’s excellent! 🙂
Old 04-03-2020, 10:02 AM
Adminstrator

Quote:

So true.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:53 AM

True, even beyond knowledge, starving in wisdom:

1) Information -> + (apply critical thinking) leads to -> 2) knowledge -> + (gain hands on experience over some years (required) + being connected with with spirit (recommended as it is very beneficial) + going through hardship (optional but a plus) leads to (at lease gives one a good chance to get some) -> 3)wisdom.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 04-03-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Gloves have their place. But you cannot wear them all day and expect them to help. Put them on when you feel you may be exposed, then remove and wash your hands. Ref the N-95 masks, they catch 95% of all particles 3 microns or larger. The Corona Virus is smaller than that, btx 1 and 2 microns. Like the gloves you cannot, use them indefinitely. They eventually become contaminated. Some say they help remind them not to touch their faces. I have gloves I wear whenever I leave the house. Into a place, I purel them when I get back in the car, wipe the car down etc. I also use the gloves for opening packages and carrying boxes to the burn barrel. (Which gets a lot of use now) Fire is lit, gloves go in, wash or sanitize my hands.
0.3 microns.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:

It reminds me of the quote by Friedrich Nietzsche:

Quote:
It is dreadful to die of thirst in the sea. Must you then salt your truth so much that it can no longer quench your thirst?
Old 04-03-2020, 03:52 PM

In other N95 news...

A Brooklyn man was charged and arrested for lying to Federal investigators about his hoard of N95 masks and other medical equipment. Then all his stuff was confiscated.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/medi...ry?id=69938363
Quote:
According to the DOJ, the equipment includes roughly 192,000 N95 respirator masks, nearly 600,000 medical gloves, 130,000 surgical masks, procedure masks, N100 masks, surgical gowns, disinfectant towels, particulate filters, bottles of hand sanitizer and disinfectant spray.
and

Quote:
Prosecutors say 43-year-old Baruch Feldheim hoarded the supplies in order to take advantage of the COVID-19 crisis and was selling them to doctors and nurses at prices as much as 700% above market value
Old 04-03-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
A Brooklyn man was charged and arrested for lying to Federal investigators about his hoard of N95 masks and other medical equipment. Then all his stuff was confiscated.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/medi...ry?id=69938363
Quote:
According to the DOJ, the equipment includes roughly 192,000 N95 respirator masks, nearly 600,000 medical gloves, 130,000 surgical masks, procedure masks, N100 masks, surgical gowns, disinfectant towels, particulate filters, bottles of hand sanitizer and disinfectant spray.
and

Quote:
Prosecutors say 43-year-old Baruch Feldheim hoarded the supplies in order to take advantage of the COVID-19 crisis and was selling them to doctors and nurses at prices as much as 700% above market value
State sanctioned seizure of items and goods without any compensation, hell yeah! Just what the USA is about!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 04-03-2020, 05:06 PM

Compensation notwithstanding- where's the due process...?

I don't doubt for a moment that this individual was most likely engaged in profiteering... however, no one shall be "deprived of life, liberty, or property" without due process of law...
AFTER they convict him, the government can direct all the forfeiture they want. Until then, "redistributing" property, evidence in a criminal case, is theft, pure and simple. Not to mention poor chain of custody of evidence....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 04-03-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Compensation notwithstanding- where's the due process...?

I don't doubt for a moment that this individual was most likely engaged in profiteering... however, no one shall be "deprived of life, liberty, or property" without due process of law...
AFTER they convict him, the government can direct all the forfeiture they want. Until then, "redistributing" property, evidence in a criminal case, is theft, pure and simple. Not to mention poor chain of custody of evidence....
I'm sure the authorities involved have sticky fingers. I just wonder how many of the 192,000 N95 masks will make it all the way to the health workers.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I'm sure the authorities involved have sticky fingers. I just wonder how many of the 192,000 N95 masks will make it all the way to the health workers.
The correct answer should be zero- until such a time as a conviction is obtained, and forfeiture is part of the imposed sentence- and the appellate process is exhausted.
So, in about 15 years, they shoild be allowing to do with this personal property as they wish.

Its easy to trample on the Constitution, when the particulars of the case are indicative of a despicably man.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 04-03-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
The correct answer should be zero- until such a time as a conviction is obtained, and forfeiture is part of the imposed sentence- and the appellate process is exhausted.
So, in about 15 years, they shoild be allowing to do with this personal property as they wish.

Its easy to trample on the Constitution, when the particulars of the case are indicative of a despicably man.
It is alarming. There is nothing illegal about having a stockpile. At best, there may be some laws against price gouging when there is a declaration of emergency. In Florida, once a declaration is made, i.e., storm coming, they can't jack up the price of batteries, generators, gasoline and the such, by more than 10%.

Imagine if there was an ammo shortage among law enforcement and the military, and they decided to raid the stockpile of ammo in private hands.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
It is alarming. There is nothing illegal about having a stockpile. At best, there may be some laws against price gouging when there is a declaration of emergency. In Florida, once a declaration is made, i.e., storm coming, they can't jack up the price of batteries, generators, gasoline and the such, by more than 10%.

Imagine if there was an ammo shortage among law enforcement and the military, and they decided to raid the stockpile of ammo in private hands.
Most States have anti gouging laws- and I don't doubt that this guy was tried to exploit the situation....
However, he has yet to be tried and convicted- and he IS entitled to that...

Last edited by wccountryboy; 04-04-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:56 PM

Hey it's just like mass tracking and monitoring they are deploying all across Europe and China and people are clamoring for here. All in the name of a "outstanding circumstance" and since it's the right thing to do after all! Due process is a privilege for good times nothing more
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 04-04-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Hey it's just like mass tracking and monitoring they are deploying all across Europe and China and people are clamoring for here. All in the name of a "outstanding circumstance" and since it's the right thing to do after all! Due process is a privilege for good times nothing more
We already have mass tracking. It's called a cell phone. I would bet all my ammo that the government could easily use them if they are not already doing so.

Anyone read 1984? Big brother is watching. The irony is that you pay for it every month. I'm going back to 2 tin cans and some string If you young guys don't get that then google it.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:16 AM

I'm a retired FF/EMT, and in a fairly high risk group for mortality due to the "Chinese Wuhan virus". My supply of face masks is limited to some hardware dust masks I bought years ago for weed wacking. My "substance isolation" gloves are Harbor Freight utility vinyl gloves that I mostly use for painting and cleaning the grill. However, I do wear both mask and gloves for grocery shopping. Part of the reason is that years of experience makes me NEVER touch my face, clothes, phone, car door, etc., with those gloves. And the mask at least protects against droplets, and covers my own sneeze or cough.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Most States have anti gouging laws- and I don't doubt that this guy was tried to exploit the situation....
However, he has yet to be tried and convicted- and he IS entitled to that...
Absolutely true, and in my mind, every bit as illegal as the confiscation of property under even the ASSUMPTION that property was gained as a result of illegal activity. Until there's a trial and a conviction, the "stuff" belongs to the accused.

This is nothing more than government sanctioned theft.