2011 owners' input needed. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 11:53 AM

2011 owners' input needed.

I've pretty much made up my mind that my next acquire will be an RIA 10mm. I really like the idea of a high capacity "1911" but I've never had the opportunity to fondle one. Is there any MAJOR difference in the overall feel of a double stack? I'm kinda torn as the hi cap keeps calling to me but the single stack with 10 rounds of 10mm is nothing to sneeze at either. Just wondering about the overall experience from those who own 1911's and 2011's.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:41 PM

My 2011 is definitely bigger in the butt than a 1911 but not so much as to bother my medium-small guy hand. (I was not comfortable with a HK USP .45, should have got a 9 or .40.)

The RIA is all metal and is closer to a Para Ordnance which feels blockier to me.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenagain View Post
I've pretty much made up my mind that my next acquire will be an RIA 10mm. I really like the idea of a high capacity "1911" but
Figure out what mags you need and where you're going to find them.

If you're buying an STI (or whatever name they are going by these days) you can just buy their mags - pricey, but you know where to go and what you are getting.

https://stiguns.com/product-category/magazines/

If you're buying an RIA, they use different mags and I don't know a reliable source for those, other than perhaps RIA. I don't know if ParaOrd mags work in the RIA guns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 02:39 PM

Hold a USP 9 and it's about that feel and size
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-14-2020, 04:49 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds like I might give the big butt a try. Think I read somewhere that Met-Gar mags are readily available for the RIA. in 10mm. I have medium large hands so it sounds like it will work fine for me. I will most likely get a high end 10mm at some point for shoulder harness carry. If the RIA feels right I'll be considering a Republic Forge double stack 10mm in my future.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
(I was not comfortable with a HK USP .45, should have got a 9 or .40.)
Sorry for the thread drift, but don't the 9mm/.40S&W USP have about the same grip as the .45 USP, at least in full size due to the polymer mags in the 9mm/.40 guns and the steel mags in the .45 Auto?

My understanding is the 9mm/.40 USP Compacts have a smaller grip due to the steel mags.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:52 PM

I don't recommend anyone buy STI right now. They are having internal problems and their communications w/ customers are poor. It seems like they are going thru internal strife and reorganization.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 02-16-2020, 09:56 AM

STI 2011 guns....

I like and use STI 2011 guns for self defense and action shooting sports, and build my own guns from parts. I have various high cap pistols in different lengths and models....and my Para Ordnance 45acp all steel pistol is a bit heavier than my STI guns since the Para is all steel, while the STI 2011 is lighter since it uses a polymer/modular grip. My S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm, which is a high cap pistol, may be slightly lighter than my STI 2011 guns.....

I built an STI 2011 for USPSA Open Div., and used an STI Tru Bor barrel with comp. The barrel came short chambered so I had to use a 9mm chamber reamer. The gun works fine, is very accurate, and I have two STI 2011 170mm 9mm/mags that hold 27 rounds each, and several 140mm mags.

I also use the above gun for Action Steel matches. Since there is no restriction on the mag length, I took an older 170mm mag, took and cut down an old STI 2011 126mm mag, and extended the mag by welding them together. My long STI 2011 mag works fine, since the weld is below the grip, and I used a full length Wolff spring that also works fine.....The mag will hold 35 rounds plus one in the chamber. When we have a stage that requires over 27 rounds, I use the long 35 round mag to save time having to reload.....most stage designs in action steel in my area are 25-27 rounds, I can usually use my STI 9mm 170mm mag that holds 27+1 rounds and not have to make a reload......
Old 02-16-2020, 12:11 PM

The RIA doublestack (Para) grip feels bigger, wider & blocky compared to my 2011's. RIA is also hefty in comparison which mitigates recoil, but may slow transitions for some. IMO if you are larger in stature neither will matter as much.
The weight diffence between the poly grip (or even billet grip) 2011 and all steel RIA doublestack is definitely somewhat noticeable after a few hours in a USPSA Limited belt rig.
No way I'd tote that RIA doublestack around for CCW.

Kevin makes a valid point.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
I don't recommend anyone buy STI right now. They are having internal problems and their communications w/ customers are poor. It seems like they are going thru internal strife and reorganization.
Agree...Although I love the way my STI shoots, one of my best, it has been back 3X, one for a craked slide, in 2 years. Not built in the same class as say a Wilson Combat. In the past great CS made up for the aggravation, but the last time it went back the communication was impossible...

Also, if you are looking at 45 OP, look elsewhere, the involvement of STI with 45 cal guns is fading really fast. Few models and I have been waiting for their 10 Round Gen 2 45 mags for years now. With the re-branding/takeover I doubt they will ever make them at this point.

If I can get my STI to shoot trouble free for 3 years or so, and if STI gets their CS act back together I may consider another some day (as they do shoot so well), but for now I am avoiding.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 02-16-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:14 AM

2011 Input needed:

A full power hi capacity 10 mm is a good choice for hunting or self defense, but it is not good for everyone since not all people can handle the recoil when firing fast controlled pairs...…

A person needs to be objective, but realize their own abilities and training. I like and use hi capacity 2011 pistols in competition and for self defense, but I have been shooting these pistols in various calibers for over 30 years..... I know the .45acp is a great cartridge, and many like a wide diameter bullet for self defense, however, my personal preference is for a fast muzzle velocity and lighter JHP bullet that will expand upon impact..... I can shoot my STI 2011 .38 super with hot loads much faster and get good hits faster than I could with my heavier hi capacity Para .45acp....or a Glock 21 (which I used as a LEO)

A person should first find out if they can shoot a hot loaded 10mm round fast and accurately. The FBI sought the 10mm at one time as their duty weapon, however many agents had problems with recoil, and the agency moved to the 9mm.

For self defense, only good hits on the perpetrator count, so a person should shoot the caliber of their choice where they can shoot fast and accurately Some people may think it only takes one good hit with a 10mm to stop an attack, but in a dynamic and fast shooting situation where the bad guy may be moving, it is best to keep shooting until the threat stops.....so fast multiple shots are best.....and make the choice of caliber based on your ability and training to be able to fire fast and accurately!

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 02-17-2020 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:50 AM

I don't think I would call a RIA a 2011.
2011s. are called that because of the grip, not the capacity.

Bob
Old 02-17-2020, 11:24 AM

STI 2011 guns.....

STI called their first double stack hi capacity guns "2011" because it was like a 1911 but high capacity….. the modular grip also used a trigger bow and trigger pad similar to a larger 1911 trigger bow..... and the sear and disconnector is the same as a 1911...…

The founders of STI, Virgil Trip and Sandy Strayer, named the new pistol. Sandy Strayer later left STI International, and joined up with Michael Voit to start SVI, I believe in 1994.....
Old 02-17-2020, 01:51 PM

I looked at a RIA double stack 10mm a while back and I'm not sure what turned me off, if it was the smooth front strap or the price. On the price, after buying a dozen STIs I though come on, 700 bucks for a double stack metal frame, what's wrong. Besides I already had a Marauder in 10.
As I recall it felt fatter in the grip than a STI, I have medium sized hands and 2011s don't feel to fat for me, sure they are wider than a 1911 but front to back they are not that big. That is one thing I don't like about my USP 45, front to back it is just to wide to get a good grip on it. My USPc's are great though.

As for STI service I've never really needed it except for a few small parts and they sent them to me in a couple days free. As for their guns the only problem I've had with them is on a Tactical HOST where the screws were too long on the mounting plate and pinched the extractor causing problems. Then there were the Gen1 45 VIP mags that were just junk, but all the Gen2's have been flawless and I probably have 75 of them, only thing I've done is tune the lips when they were new.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I've pretty much made up my mind that my next acquire will be an RIA 10mm. I really like the idea of a high capacity "1911" but I've never had the opportunity to fondle one. Is there any MAJOR difference in the overall feel of a double stack? I'm kinda torn as the hi cap keeps calling to me but the single stack with 10 rounds of 10mm is nothing to sneeze at either. Just wondering about the overall experience from those who own 1911's and 2011's.
I used to shoot a 2011 in IPSC competitions, but those were usually less than 150 round over 3-4 hours - no problems.

Used one in a Front Sight 4-day handgun class, and on the 3rd day my trigger side forearm cramped up to the point where I had to sit out some of the exercises.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Sorry for the thread drift, but don't the 9mm/.40S&W USP have about the same grip as the .45 USP, at least in full size due to the polymer mags in the 9mm/.40 guns and the steel mags in the .45 Auto?

My understanding is the 9mm/.40 USP Compacts have a smaller grip due to the steel mags.
No. The frame of the USP45 is different than the 9/40 which is shared between the two.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:11 AM

I like the double stack 10mm. The grip feels much better in my hand than a single stack 1911.

The second I picked one up was the day I decided I wanted one.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:31 PM

A RIA is not a 2011 but is a doublestack 1911. It is going to have a noticeably bigger grip, weigh more and recoil more. If you’re looking for a 2011, go STI. I have quite a few of them and they’re fantastic guns. STI is going through a rebranding going from a focus on competition models to the LE/MIL and tactical markets so a few people are having doubts about them, I’m confident with them at this point.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I bought my RIA 52009 10mm A2 last year as a range toy and paid $579.02.

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/roc...ra-fs-hc-10mm/

I'm very happy with it and plan to send it to Hayes Custom Guns to get the $350 Race Ready Package. I haven't decided yet on the $100 DLC refinish yet.

http://hayescustomguns.com/ria-race-ready-package/

As far as carrying this beast, at 58 Oz loaded my best experience has been using a Vedder Light Tuck IWB (heat gun adjustment for wider frame required). I've resorted to wearing suspenders that attach to my Kore gun belt, allowing much more comfort than having to cinch my belt up so tight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Took the shoulder pads off though
Hindsight is 20/20, foresight, not so much.

Last edited by CharlieHorse; 02-18-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Figure out what mags you need and where you're going to find them.

If you're buying an STI (or whatever name they are going by these days) you can just buy their mags - pricey, but you know where to go and what you are getting.

https://stiguns.com/product-category/magazines/

If you're buying an RIA, they use different mags and I don't know a reliable source for those, other than perhaps RIA. I don't know if ParaOrd mags work in the RIA guns.
Just go to the Armscor website, they have everything you need, even 80% frames and build kits.

https://advancedtactical.com/index.p...h-act-mag.html

Hays Custom Guns recommends the Remington 1911 R1 40 S&W 18-Round Blued Steel Magazine #17802, however the one I bought needs to be reworked. Instead of locking into the magwel tightly, mine drops down about 1/8" and starts to FTF after 2 to 5 rounds fired. Pushing the mag up into place will usually chamber the round, so either the mag release or the hole in the mag needs a mod.

When I send mine in for the $350 race ready package I'll have them look at it because that Remington mag is really nice although it does extend past the magwel more.

http://hayescustomguns.com/ria-race-ready-package/
Hindsight is 20/20, foresight, not so much.

Last edited by CharlieHorse; 02-18-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:38 PM

For competition shooting I prefer 2011. For range gun I prefer 1911. In competition I want to go fast and having a double stack helps keep my time shorter. In range plinking I want to take my time and enjoy every shot and shooting single stack helps keep me at a slower pace.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
No. The frame of the USP45 is different than the 9/40 which is shared between the two.
Yes, I realize that.

The grip on the 9/40 Compacts is smaller - trigger reach is shorter - than the full size version because the Compacts use steel magazines while the 9/40 full size guns use polymer mags and their grips are larger.

The 45 Auto version uses steel magazines in both full and compact versions so the 45 full size USP, while still a large pistol, is not as big as it could have been had it used the same polymer mags as the 9/40 full size USP. It still is probably larger than the full size 9/40 guns.