Forgive me father, for I have sinned - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 03:39 PM

Forgive me father, for I have sinned

Been carrying my Glock 19 for about a week (ccw)

Sold my old blue BHP and just canít bring myself to either carry the two
Tone practical or the silver chrome BHP in it place

Not my monkeys
Not my circus
Not my problem
Old 02-13-2020, 03:42 PM

There is no sin to carry a great pistol.

I like mine a lot. Great shooter too.

Last edited by pyunker45; 02-14-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:51 PM

Nothing to apologize for. I bought into the Glock hater hype, blah, blah, blah...for a very long time. Then, a couple of years ago, I bought a G19 and I freaking loved the thing. I shot lights out with it. I LIKED the grip. I even liked the OEM sights. I could easily pound out a 20 shot, 2" hole at 30' feet with it.

Last week, I bought a G23. The emperor has no clothes! Glocks really are great guns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 05:02 PM

I carry a Glock. It serves that purpose well. But I don't think it is wonderful or anything like that.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:39 PM

Can we move this thread over to WWW.glocktalk/blahblahblah/boring.com

I think a few guys got led here by mistake......
Old 02-13-2020, 06:01 PM

Nothing wrong with that, Glock 19 makes a solid carry gun. Light, good capacity, easy to shoot.

The weight, in particular, makes it a bit more enjoyable to carry over the BHP.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:08 PM

If the Glock guys and ladies would only try a CZ P10c.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodester View Post
Why? I wasn't terribly impressed. It was Ok but certainly not as good in my hands as my G19, or Beretta APX. Or, heck, a 320 or VP9.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:35 PM

Nothing wrong with a glock. I used to have a 17, and still have a 21.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:44 PM

I've owned several and still own a 19 & 26.
The 19 is a great range gun and the 26 is great for carry.
I regularly use the 26 in my carry rotation.
I'm sure you will eventually get some push back here. I'm sure the "ugly", "plastic", "clunky" comments are on the way. Haters Gotta Hate!
But it's hard to argue with their reliability, serviceability and maintainability. Glock On!
Old 02-13-2020, 06:59 PM

Actually I have three glocks
But the 34 and 35 are a bit big for the job

Not my monkeys
Not my circus
Not my problem
Old 02-13-2020, 07:10 PM

Glocks are great carry guns. I carried a Glock 26 as EDC for quite awhile before I decided to carry a Kahr CM9 for its weight and size advantages. But the 26 still has a role for when I want to carry some extra firepower.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:29 PM

Nothing wrong with variety, it is the spice of life. Im very close to picking up a G48 as i think it will carry more like a 1911 and not like a glock. They shoot very well based on the few mags i ran through a range loaner.
DW PMDP #205
CZ Custom SDP
Ruger SP101 Deluxe
Glock 43
Old 02-13-2020, 07:31 PM

I grew up on g17s

I truly appreciate them

they are now my wife's hd guns, that I know I can do well with

the 1911 is just, more my thing.....
Old 02-13-2020, 08:01 PM
Administrator

The Glock 19 is a fine gun and has been the baseline standard in CCW guns for 30 years... but I would never sell a Browning Hi-Power for one as those are climbing rapidly in value and are still excellent defense guns in their own right.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:20 PM

I have two Browning Hi-Powers. Both made in Belgium, but assembled in Portugal. One is all stainless, the other is two-tone. They are great guns, but wouldn't be my first choice for carry. Frankly, none of my 1911s would be either. Nor, my Glocks, though, to be fair, they're a 17L and a 34.

Maybe I should carry, but I don't. If I were to, it would be my Canik TP9SA (later generation, but I don't know exactly which.) I will tell you, this gun shoots very accurately and has never had any kind of malfunction. I have many much more expensive, more famous striker-fired pistols, but the Caniks have been the best of the bunch for me. And, no, I have no ties, either personal or financial, to Canik or Turkey.

Given that I own two actual BHPs, I really don't have a need for a clone, but I sometimes consider getting one of the Tisas/Regent Turkish-made BHP clones. I have never seen one in person. On the one hand, people say great things about them online. On the other hand, people talk about work they need to function well, so I just don't know. Perhaps they're like Glocks--perfect, but then everybody wants to "improve" them.

Still, though, I shoot my 1911s best of all my semi-autos. (As revolvers go, I have found it hard to beat my S&W 686-1 and 686-5...)
Old 02-13-2020, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullySupported View Post
I have two Browning Hi-Powers. Both made in Belgium, but assembled in Portugal. One is all stainless, the other is two-tone.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe FN/Browning ever sold a Hi-Power in stainless. It should be hard-chromed if I'm not mistaken.

Back to the Glock 19, I have owned one since 1992 or so. First I had an early second-gen, then I traded it for a 3rd gen, and finally a Gen4 which I still have. Despite that I have never warmed up to it. All of my mags are as old as the first one I bought back in the 1990s, except for the ones that came with the Gen4. The pistol itself has only a few thousand rounds through it. I just simply can't get used to the square grip, steep grip angle and spongy trigger. But at the same time I can't fault it as it runs like a top. It's an early Gen4 so it still has all the "bad" parts in it that Glock eventually upgraded. I just never bothered to send it back to Glock to fix what doesn't seem to be broken.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:51 PM

He is probably referring to the silver chrome

Although there were a few factory nickel hi powers made

Not my monkeys
Not my circus
Not my problem
Old 02-13-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kels View Post
He is probably referring to the silver chrome

Although there were a few factory nickel hi powers made
Yes, I am sorry. It must not be stainless. It is a matte silver-tone finish. When looking at a random gun, is there a straightforward way of telling? (Other than knowing that a certain gun never came a certain way?)
Old 02-13-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
...Back to the Glock 19, I have owned one since 1992 or so. First I had an early second-gen, then I traded it for a 3rd gen, and finally a Gen4 which I still have. Despite that I have never warmed up to it. All of my mags are as old as the first one I bought back in the 1990s, except for the ones that came with the Gen4. The pistol itself has only a few thousand rounds through it. I just simply can't get used to the square grip, steep grip angle and spongy trigger. But at the same time I can't fault it as it runs like a top. It's an early Gen4 so it still has all the "bad" parts in it that Glock eventually upgraded. I just never bothered to send it back to Glock to fix what doesn't seem to be broken.
Glocks are harder to master as regards accurate shooting, just as fast accurate DAO revolver shooting is the hardest of all handgun disciplines. Too many people want to "milk" a Glock trigger and that never works for accuracy. You need a quick clean press.

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullySupported View Post
Yes, I am sorry. It must not be stainless. It is a matte silver-tone finish. When looking at a random gun, is there a straightforward way of telling? (Other than knowing that a certain gun never came a certain way?)
That is referred to as silver chrome on the BHP.

The nickel finish was a lot like shiny chrome
There were very few of these made I believe
I have seen TWO and the prices were high

Not my monkeys
Not my circus
Not my problem
Old 02-13-2020, 10:57 PM

I think God loves the heretic, for they are the seekers of truth and seek beyond the hard line religions of the gun, and many other things.

A M14, a M16, and a AK guy, walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "Is this some kind of joke?"

My 1911s, Glocks, SIGs, and every other gun I've got just seem to hang out together and get along just fine. They don't even complain about which one I'm paying the most attention to at the moment. Even my AR, AK, and when I have them around, Mini-14 types get along just fine.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-14-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodester View Post
Or anything else in many cases. I run into guys that ONLY own a Glock or two. Iíll let them fire one of my 1911ís and the look on their face is priceless. The trigger alone makes them want to kick themselves in the ass. Various high definition sights add to the experience. It quiets the huffing and puffing bad boy attitude they came to the range with.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:57 AM

I carried a 19 and a 26 undercover for ten years. Nothing wrong with either pistol. If I carry 9mm (rarely since retired), it's one of those two pistols.

That being said, nothing compares to my 1911's in 45 ACP.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kels View Post
Been carrying my Glock 19 for about a week (ccw)

Sold my old blue BHP and just canít bring myself to either carry the two
Tone practical or the silver chrome BHP in it place
There is a special place in Hell for those who spurn steel for plastic. Giving up class for Jello is never good.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson