Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-09-2020, 08:43 AM

And as a punishment he has banned me from bidding 🙂
Old 02-09-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
Understand that I asked one smart ass question . And for days he has been lobbing emails at me calling me all sorts of names. I just think the poor guy is probably nuts.
You seem about as obsessed as he is. Sounds like you might end up being friends...
Old 02-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Understand that I asked one smart ass question . And for days he has been lobbing emails at me calling me all sorts of names. I just think the poor guy is probably nuts.
He probably is, but it just ain't worth it to let him bother you. Like that cute Disney chick once said, let it go...
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:47 AM

Iím still laughing about the entire scenario.....
I can see this nut, held up in his one room apartment, staring in the mirror and asking ďare you talking to meĒ!
Then he jumps back on the computer........
Old 02-10-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Iím still laughing about the entire scenario.....
I can see this nut, held up in his one room apartment, staring in the mirror and asking ďare you talking to meĒ!
Then he jumps back on the computer........
Are you referring to the OP? The GB seller?

Both?
Old 02-11-2020, 06:55 AM

Water is not a nut....
I think we established who the nut was by the initial reaction.
You should add a smiley face after your post!
Old 02-11-2020, 07:21 AM

Guys....I think there are a few too many assumptions being made here 🙂

I may be a nut, but I am a good nut. I assure you I am 100% normal person 😉 and I am by no means obsessed with this issue and let it go two 10 mins after it happened.

I asked a smart ass question.....but it’s reasonable. There are two Q5 guns out there and one is $800 more than the other.

If I had this listing and someone had asked me the same, I most certainly had not responded with a dribble of emails taking about penis size, dick sucking, Bernie voting insults. This morning is the first day I have not gotten an email from the guy, so I suspect he has moved on.

At this point I don’t know if he’s mentally ill, has anger issues or just messing with me. Either is fine with me.

He does not seem to be a regular seller but just a “normal” guy.

I wished him luck with the sale but then told him if he wants to add a set of diamond earrings to keep me in mind.

It’s actually not a bad idea. Buy some earrings for your wife and get a gun with purchase 🙂

Maybe I am on to something.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:

I may be a nut, but I am a good nut. I assure you I am 100% normal person 😉 and I am by no means obsessed with this issue and let it go two 10 mins after it happened.

I asked a smart ass question.....but itís reasonable. There are two Q5 guns out there and one is $800 more than the other.

If I had this listing and someone had asked me the same, I most certainly had not responded with a dribble of emails taking about penis size, dick sucking, Bernie voting insults. This morning is the first day I have not gotten an email from the guy, so I suspect he has moved on.

At this point I donít know if heís mentally ill, has anger issues or just messing with me. Either is fine with me.

He does not seem to be a regular seller but just a ďnormalĒ guy.

I wished him luck with the sale but then told him if he wants to add a set of diamond earrings to keep me in mind.

Itís actually not a bad idea. Buy some earrings for your wife and get a gun with purchase 🙂

Of the two people involved you're the nuts one.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_29 View Post
Of the two people involved you're the nuts one.
Please keep the discussion topic based. Leave personalities out of it. Personal insults to our members will not be tolerated.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by RetiredRod; 02-11-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:

I asked a smart ass question.....but itís reasonable. There are two Q5 guns out there and one is $800 more than the other.

At this point I donít know if heís mentally ill, has anger issues or just messing with me. Either is fine with me.

He does not seem to be a regular seller but just a ďnormalĒ guy.

Itís actually not a bad idea. Buy some earrings for your wife and get a gun with purchase 🙂

So....I'm just getting up after a brief post-night shift nap......and I read this post.

LMAO at this whole thing.

You called him on what you perceived as inordinate pricing....and then he went full potato on you.

You may have inadvertently poked the bear.....the crazy bear.

There are some whack-jobs out there for sure.

Thanks for the laughs. My day is starting wonderfully......now...that damn coffee maker better be have my java ready.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:27 PM

When I'm selling beautiful hot rods & muscle cars, as I do regularly, it's common for me to be offered trades for crappy worthless cars I wouldn't take for free:

"Hey, Man, would you swap your 1964 GTO for my '78 Volare Wagon?"

Or I'll have a car, well-priced, at $15k and I get asked if I'll take "$3000 CASH" the word cash being in all caps, or if on the phone spoken with great emphasis.

????????????? CASH ?????????? ----------- as opposed to $3000 worth of oysters or Pez dispensers ?? What the heck?

Other times I see ordinary classics like a 4 Door Falcon ($4k value) with an asking price of $25,000. When people are on crack like that they always also post "serious buyers only. Don't waste my time" it's hilarious.

Lastly, is this one: When negotiating price guys will say "yes, the paint looks great but I'm going to change it to red. And THAT'S gonna cost me $8,000"

As if it's MY obligation to discount MY price to accommodate HIS stupid ideas.

Okay enough marketplace bitching. But I have no doubt that guys who sell a lot of guns run into these exact same situations.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:05 PM

I once had a guy on armslist offer me $400 and a free kitten for a beretta I had listed. Even sent of picture of the cats and said I could have pick of the litter.

Magman I can't believe you turned down a pristine 78 Volare. Are you nuts?
Old 02-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Administrator

The free market system is wonderful. It allows you to meet all kinds of people. I used to work in retail selling computers, where the margins were ridiculously low (under 10% on average). We'd have sales where we were basically selling at cost, and we'd still get customers asking, "Okay, but what is MY price on this?". Ummm... the price is right there on the big orange label. "No, I said MY price. I am a loyal customer and have bought thousands of dollars worth of computers from you so I want a better price than that!". So I look up his purchase history, and he bought a $1200 computer five years ago basically at cost. Yeah buddy... in the last five years I've made maybe twenty dollars off of you. Not counting the three times you brought it in and had something fixed for free because you kept screwing with it but we called it a warranty repair anyway.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:46 PM

Ok, as a fitting thing to odd people when trying to sell things, keeping in mind many of us on here love guns, cars, motorcycles and what not, I think we have all met this guy somewhere along our journey....

https://youtu.be/EF8GhC-T_Mo
Old 02-12-2020, 06:11 AM

People offer those trades because well....sometimes it works

I have a friend. He’s a cheap ass. Not afraid to offer someone $400 for a Shadow2 but then when it’s his to sell, he wants $1500. He has NEVER sold a gun, but tries a lot.

I suppose at the end of the day, something is worth what someone is willing to pay. Unless a bank is involved.....that doesn’t work.

I have sold cars and boats on Craigslist. You definitely run into some real turds. But many people are like that because they do occasionally get rewarded.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:52 AM

I think the nutbag quit bothering you because several other people have said similar things to him! Heís busy mail bombing them as we speak. Iím gonna go and look to see if itís still up. Maybe Iíll light the fuse again...
Old 02-12-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I think the nutbag quit bothering you because several other people have said similar things to him! He’s busy mail bombing them as we speak. I’m gonna go and look to see if it’s still up. Maybe I’ll light the fuse again...
Offer him a $100 Walmart Gift Card because that is all he''ll get from a Bloomberg sponsored gun buy-back program at his local town hall. That'll irk him.

... ah, make that two $100 Gift Cards!
Old 02-12-2020, 03:51 PM

Life is too short to ferret out every overpriced Gunbroker item.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Offer him a $100 Walmart Gift Card because that is all he''ll get from a Bloomberg sponsored gun buy-back program at his local town hall. That'll irk him.

... ah, make that two $100 Gift Cards!
Great idea......I think tossing in a few jabs at his manliness may help too. I bet if I throw in the diamond earring thing, that will push him to the limit. Heíll wonder what that is all about. Then again, he may go back and whack WaterDR for putting me up to it!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:25 AM

Basic philosophy in life: If you don't ask, they can't say "Yes"! Regardless of commodity... but you have to be prepared for more than a simple "No."

Griff
SASS, CMSA, GUSA #93
NRA Patron

Last edited by sass93; 02-13-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:51 PM

I see people on Ebay all the time selling items for well over retain price. I just laugh at ow over priced their items are.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:10 PM

I still think the initial response was funny as hell!
I just went back in to see if I could find the listing. It was supposed to expire yesterday, but Dood relisted and still has Zero bids. The only thing that makes me not ride this guy is because he does list $1600 in extras. Still has a poly frame though. Maybe the guy is only half nuts, but he must have dumped a bee hive down his shorts about the time your message came through!!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:33 PM

I will confess to having made purchases on GunBroker. Frankly, I have never gotten a great deal. At best, I've gotten okay deals.

Something that is about to sell for well under its true value seems always to get a bid at that value or close to it. Sometimes, this probably a savvy gun trader; sometimes, it's probably a shill account managed by the seller or a friend of his because it's better to eat the gunbroker sales fee than lose too much on the price. (Of course, this is immoral and these sellers should be banned.)

I will never bid on anything on GunBroker before carefully going through the Seller's feedback. Is his feedback for selling or just for buying? Has he been on the site for a long time? Then I sort by rating, from low-to-high, as opposed to date. Some "A+" sellers have almost no negative feedback, but others have over 5% negative feedback, while still being "A+." Assuming the seller doesn't have a lot of negative feedback compared to other "A+" sellers, I look at how the seller responds to the negative feedback. If the seller remains polite and professional, which can include denying the assertions made by the buyer, then I am satisfied. However, a seller who becomes insulting, even if provoked, will not get any bids from me.

On the other hand, it is also a very real thing that some buyers will get exactly what they saw in the photos, in the condition described, in a very timely manner, and then try to extort sellers for a discount by threatening to give a bad rating. These buyers should be banned too.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I still think the initial response was funny as hell!
I just went back in to see if I could find the listing. It was supposed to expire yesterday, but Dood relisted and still has Zero bids. The only thing that makes me not ride this guy is because he does list $1600 in extras. Still has a poly frame though. Maybe the guy is only half nuts, but he must have dumped a bee hive down his shorts about the time your message came through!![IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/biglaugh.gif[/IMG]
His assessment of $1600 in extras is well....an exaggeration. At once point, he had responded to me about the $450 holster setup it came with, but he didn’t have that mentioned at all in the listing. So my initial email to him questioning the listing was pretty dang legit. When I pointed that out, he called me more names and then updated the listing.

Who knows...all it takes is one buyer for anything and two people who want something to drive a price up.

Then there is the whole “should you list for a penny or put a high reserve” question on any item? Those that I know who sell many items on auctions will attest to the fact that penny auctions do much better over the long haul. People get caught up in the bidding and emotional and then over pay for things all the time. I think smaller sellers are worried that they will get “stuck”.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:09 PM

Mag Man - How dare you insult the Volare'. Ricardo Montalban just flipped in his box...That 225 slant six could pull a greased string out of a rats butt, if you got a good running start...
I have sold guns for more than what they were worth because a person was crazy about it and I really didn't want to sell, but that's a choice made between two bargaining individuals.
The most concerning thing I see about the response that H20 Doc received is the disparaging remarks about females and homosexuals. It's bad enough to have these thoughts, but the fact that the chauvinist gay-bashing D-Bag was willing to put in print tells a bigger tale. Online is the only place the guy ever had a chance to make a sale, unless he was at a KKK rally.