Shooting Glasses - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 08:46 AM

Shooting Glasses

I'm 58 and went to the optometrist and told her I need to vastly improve my vision for shooting a handgun. I currently wear contacts. The first solution she wants me to try is single vision glasses.

Has anyone gotten prescription shooting glasses online? There are 2 or 3 sites that seem to focus on this market. Was it easy to deal with the seller? Did you need to tweak the prescription or didn't like the glasses and had to send them back? Did they replace or refund or give you a hard time?

I'll be using them mostly for indoors so I don't need sunglasses. Is it worth looking into getting yellow lens or is that just silly? Anti-glare or no (costs up to $100 to get that)?

Thx for the input.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:08 AM

I'm not a fan of "special" prescription glasses for shooting. In a real world self defense situation the bad guy isn't going to wait and let you put on your special glasses. I have safety glasses in my regular prescription I wear when shooting. I also have to wear them at work.

I've never had contacts but if I couldn't see good enough to shoot I'd look for an ever day solution.
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
I'm not a fan of "special" prescription glasses for shooting. In a real world self defense situation the bad guy isn't going to wait and let you put on your special glasses.
Is this for self defense or the range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1127 View Post
I'll be using them mostly for indoors so I don't need sunglasses. Is it worth looking into getting yellow lens or is that just silly? Anti-glare or no (costs up to $100 to get that)?

Lots of great options, what is your price range?

I didn't like yellow lenses indoors with a dot, but that is purely personal preference, lots of terrific shooters use them with great success. I would buy a cheap pair and try them before investing in a prescription version. Or, go high end and be able to swap your lenses on the frame as desired. Back to budget. Yes to anti-glare.
Distinguished Pistol #388

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 01-15-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 AM

I have worn progressive lenses for more than 20 years. I shoot IDPA, USPSA and ICORE. Originally I went for single vision shooting glasses. I'm right eye dominant so the right lens was set with a focal length based on the distance from my eye to the front sight, with the left lens set for distance. I had different color eye shields and the Rx lenses fit in an insert behind them.

That system worked but not optimally. Multiple lenses to keep clean. Switching the color of the shields dependent on light conditions and not being long gun friendly.

Solved all those by getting a pair of photosensitive progressive glasses made up by a company that understands shooting...

https://huntershdgold.com/

These are terrific - indoors, outdoors, sun, overcast - never a need to change lenses. No time needed to acclimate to the glasses when switching from everyday eyewear to the shooting glasses (it always took 10 - 15 minutes to adjust to the single vision set-up). The company was a breeze to deal with - absolutely no hassle.

You can thank me later.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Old 01-15-2020, 09:43 AM

Not sure if you are looking for distance or close vision correction.

When I needed reader glasses to see the front sight, I went to the dollar store. I took a sharpened pencil and held it out to where my pistol front sight would be. Then tried on their reader glasses in varied prescriptions until I found the one with which I saw the point clearly. Cost me $2.00 per pair.

Now I use the Top Focal glasses from SSP Eyewear. The colors for about $35 when I bought them.

Last edited by Northface; 01-15-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:45 AM

I have been using Wiley-X Sabers with an RX insert for a few years now. What I like is that the RX can be changed out as needed and you can use standard or an elastic band for the rear of the frame (easier under hearing pro's). Downside is that it is another piece of stuff between you and the world.

I have my optometrist give me an RX based upon where I want my eyes to focus. FOr me I have my dominant eye focused on the front sight and the other eye for distance.

I order the RX part online from https://www.sporteyes.com/
Old 01-15-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
Is this for self defense or the range?

Lots of great options, what is your price range?

I didn't like yellow lenses indoors with a dot, but that is purely personal preference, lots of terrific shooters use them with great success. I would buy a cheap pair and try them before investing in a prescription version. Or, go high end and be able to swap your lenses on the frame as desired. Back to budget. Yes to anti-glare.
For the range. Willing to spend money on a good pair.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:42 AM

I used Tactical RX for my shooting glasses. Good customer service. I have progressive prescription glasses for everyday use that are tri-focal. Near for reading, mid length for computer use and long distance. When I had my last eye exam and prescription updated I sent the prescription to Tactical RX and they made me a pair of shooting glasses with the same progressive prescription. My shooting glasses are also transition lenses so I can shoot indoor or out doors. The mid length prescription works for me for sight acquisition as its about the same arm lengths distance for computer use. You go online and select the style glasses you like and they send you the glasses to try on for fit before you order. The downside is they are not cheap but I also use the shooting glasses for bike riding and sports so they get more use than just shooting.

https://www.tacticalrx.com
Old 01-15-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTom View Post
I used Tactical RX for my shooting glasses. Good customer service. I have progressive prescription glasses for everyday use that are tri-focal. Near for reading, mid length for computer use and long distance. When I had my last eye exam and prescription updated I sent the prescription to Tactical RX and they made me a pair of shooting glasses with the same progressive prescription. My shooting glasses are also transition lenses so I can shoot indoor or out doors. The mid length prescription works for me for sight acquisition as its about the same arm lengths distance for computer use. You go online and select the style glasses you like and they send you the glasses to try on for fit before you order. The downside is they are not cheap but I also use the shooting glasses for bike riding and sports so they get more use than just shooting.

https://www.tacticalrx.com
This is one of the websites I was looking at. I was very surprised how expensive the glasses are. What I don't know is are their lenses any different than buying a $10 pair of cheater glasses at a drug store with the same power prescription.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:02 AM

Same battle I fought for years. Tried single vision, contacts, everything I could think of. Within the past year I went to prescription glasses. I went to my optometrist who gave me a prescription for a close up lens (for sight focus) and a distance lens for seeing the target. I bought my glasses from SportsRx, mainly because of their guarantee, which was if you’re not pleased they’ll make new glasses or refund your money. Fortunately, the glasses work great.

I’m right eye dominant, so my right lens is highly magnified, left for distance. I also got a yellow tinted lenses. The frames are Oakley sunglass frames. The set up works, the frames are very comfortable. Shooting has become more fun being able to the sights and target.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:21 AM

In the last 30 years I've tried every "new" thing to get the proper front sight focus.

There is nothing wrong with "cheaters" if they work for you. Went that route and they worked until they didn't!

Find someone who will let bring your gun in for your perscription. Be sure that the lens grinders set the focal distince exactly right for your front sight!

Progressives may not work for everyons especially for EDC since the edges may not focus for you.

Personally after trying everything I've settled on strong eye focus for front sight and weak side for distance.

All the best in 2020,
Old 01-15-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
In the last 30 years I've tried every "new" thing to get the proper front sight focus.

There is nothing wrong with "cheaters" if they work for you. Went that route and they worked until they didn't!

Find someone who will let bring your gun in for your perscription. Be sure that the lens grinders set the focal distince exactly right for your front sight!

Progressives may not work for everyons especially for EDC since the edges may not focus for you.

Personally after trying everything I've settled on strong eye focus for front sight and weak side for distance.

All the best in 2020,
I have a red dot on my handgun and will be 100% target focused...5 yards to 25 yards. So I think I won't need to bother with front sight distance.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
I'm not a fan of "special" prescription glasses for shooting. In a real world self defense situation the bad guy isn't going to wait and let you put on your special glasses. I have safety glasses in my regular prescription I wear when shooting. I also have to wear them at work.

I've never had contacts but if I couldn't see good enough to shoot I'd look for an ever day solution.
I don't disagree but I live in NJ so carrying isn't an option. Home invasion is another matter....
Old 01-15-2020, 01:21 PM

I used the same method as Pizza Bob, North Face, Techiede44 and ohio. I took it a step further and got my regular prescription and shooting prescription made in identical frames. The shooting glasses work indoors and outdoors. I suggest you find an optometrist who shoots handguns. PS both pair are safety lenses.

Last edited by sevenL4; 01-15-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
This is one of the websites I was looking at. I was very surprised how expensive the glasses are. What I don't know is are their lenses any different than buying a $10 pair of cheater glasses at a drug store with the same power prescription.
No they are not the same as cheater glasses from Walgreens. My shooting glasses are the exact same prescription as my everyday glasses so no training adjustments necessary for adapting when shooting. I donít have to worry if my shooting skills require having cheater glasses handy in a SD situation. Also the shooting glasses lenses and frames are designed for shooting safety with an ANSI z87 rating marked on the lenses. I chose a wrap around lense design and the prescription is spot on. These are custom fit for your need. So yes they are expensive but my eye sight is important to me. Safety first then worry free clear sight acquisition without fussing over focus, tilting my head, changing eye dominance to see the target etc. it just works for me. I am fortunate to be able to afford the best eyewear I can.
Attached Thumbnails
6FFECCA5-51D6-428D-BED9-031C01B207D0.jpeg  
Old 01-15-2020, 02:12 PM

The wrap arounds work with lower prescriptions. Otherwise they tend to cause more of a fishbowl effect with the curvature of the lens.

For high prescriptions, in my opinion inserts designed behind safety lenses work best as far as eye protection goes if you want a dedicated pair of prescription shooting glasses.

I have a very strong prescription with a myopic diopter of -8.50 for glasses and -8.00 for contacts. Given my very poor uncorrected vision, I see much better with contacts than with glasses since contacts give me peripheral and vertical vision that are otherwise lacking by the limited view from an eyeglass lens. So for me contacts with uncorrected safety lenses work best.

Even so, I still splurged and got a combo pair of prescription inserts and safety lenses. They work well, but I still prefer contacts and safety eye pro, but that’s just me. FWIW, I’m 53 and also need reading glasses when wearing contacts, but I can still see iron sights well enough without reading glasses or bifocals. I guess each person is different and what works for some may not work for others.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:19 PM

I didn't get them on line and I got mine for archery but ended up using them for shooting as well. Game changer for sure, especially how it corrected an astigmatism I had that I wasn't aware of. At the time, I had bought my first Aimpoint M3. The dot looked like a red blaze and I was sure there was something wrong with it. Nope. It was the astigmatism. I was in a new world with my new glasses.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:21 PM

The ones I got are Smith Optics Aegis Compact with the prescription inserts. Looks like they don’t offer that model anymore, but they look like the ones in this link:

https://www.airsoftgi.com/product/Sm...-System-14575/
Old 01-15-2020, 02:23 PM

And yeah, they look pretty goofy. But at my age, I don’t care that much anymore. More interested in protection now than trying to be fashionable.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:21 PM

After I passed 40, my near vision went into that slow decline that most people get with age. I cannot get a clear sight picture with my uncorrected vision and my daily glasses are progressive lenses.

After struggling with the various eyeglass options and never being satisfied with the results, I went to multifocal contacts. Mine are the concentric ring design with distance vision center and near vision outer. Took my brain a few days to sort it out but they give me a good sight picture without losing clear distance vision. Love them for just about everything other than reading. Many people can’t get perfect distance both far and near with multifocals—it’s a “functional vision” solution. I need low power reading glasses to read fine print but almost everything else is usably clear.

Last edited by Supster; 01-15-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:28 PM

Optical sights!

Quote:
I have a red dot on my handgun and will be 100% target focused...5 yards to 25 yards. So I think I won't need to bother with front sight distance.
You didn't mention red dot optics in the OP!

You see through the optical plane where the dot is projected, the target stays in focus. Usually regular distance focus prescription lenses work just fine.

Optical sights and red dot optics don't require corrective lenses except for astigmatism to eliminate "flare"!

All the best in 2020,

Last edited by jjfitch; 01-15-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Pilla or Randolph Engineering would be my top 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
You didn't mention red dot optics in the OP!

You see through the optical plane where the dot is projected, the target stays in focus. Usually regular distance focus prescription lenses work just fine. Optical sights and red dot optics don't require corrective lenses except for astigmatism to eliminate "flare"!
From Dr. Wong

Normally, the best lens for the red-dot scope viewing will be the best distance prescription. Demonstrate this lens while the patient looks at the red dot while holding out the scope. Because the red dot in the scope is not focused at "optical infinity" (it is closer), try a +0.12 or a +0.25 diopter lens over the best distance prescription to see if the dot becomes even clearer. If possible, judgment would be best if the patient can view at a distance greater than the standard 20 feet and with outdoor lighting. If the dot is distorted, use the phoropter once again to verify cylindrical power and axis as the patient holds the pistol (or scope only) in front of the phoropter. Final results should be demonstrated with trial lenses. If the red dot never becomes clear and round after all lens possibilities have been demonstrated, then a careful determination of ocular health involvement needs to be assessed.

Other articles by Dr. Norman Wong, Precision Pistol Master, Distinguished Pistol, US Navy Marksmanship Team Member, and Optometrist. Geat information worth reading.

Shooting Illustrated - Shooting With Corrective Lenses - 2015 Hyperlink

Shooting Sports USA - Winning Vision Revisited - 2018 Hyperlink

Shooting Sports USA - Eye Dominance - 2011 Hyperlink

Star Reloaders - Ed Hall - Dr. Wong Articles - Hyperlinks

Bullseye Encyclopedia - Dr. Wong Articles - Hyperlink

Fundamentals of Bullseye Pistol Shooting with Brian Zins: Vision - Video Hyperlink

Shooting Sports USA - Iron In The Sun - 2013 - Hyperlink

One more article from another Doctor

https://www.drbarrynolt.com/shooting...e-and-archery/

Photo Escape Aperture Ring Kit (Sold on this development)

http://photoescapeinc.com/products/a...rings-kit.html
Distinguished Pistol #388

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 01-16-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:24 PM

Jayhawk:

From Dr. Wong,

"Normally, the best lens for the red-dot scope viewing will be the best distance prescription. Demonstrate this lens while the patient looks at the red dot while holding out the scope. Because the red dot in the scope is not focused at "optical infinity" (it is closer), try a +0.12 or a +0.25 diopter lens over the best distance prescription to see if the dot becomes even clearer. If possible, judgment would be best if the patient can view at a distance greater than the standard 20 feet and with outdoor lighting. If the dot is distorted, use the phoropter once again to verify cylindrical power and axis as the patient holds the pistol (or scope only) in front of the phoropter. Final results should be demonstrated with trial lenses. If the red dot never becomes clear and round after all lens possibilities have been demonstrated, then a careful determination of ocular health involvement needs to be assessed. "

Almost 25 years ago I was having fits with front sight focus and corrective lenses. Dr. Wong's advice has always been right on. I remembered his advice to be sure to specify the exact depth of field when getting a prescription do to the variations in laboratory methods for general purpose vs. shooters.

In my above post #21 I think I was trying to articulate Dr. Wong's advice but in less technical terms. But as usual you saved the day by providing excellant reference material.

If I was getting distortion I would want to take the above information provided by Dr. Wong with me to my "Eye Doc" so he would know what shooter's need for lens correction with red dot sights (optic sights).

All the best in 2020,

Last edited by jjfitch; 01-16-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:10 PM

Im 57 and wear contacts. I also wear readers to....read.

My answer for shooting is a pair of Elvex RX500 reader safety glasses in +1.0 power. My normal reading glasses are a +1.75. Due to the front sight being farther away than you would typically read a book, you don't need as much power. And don't worry if your target is a little blurry. That doesn't matter. And what a difference it also makes rummaging thru the range bag, loading mags etc. Try them, their only like $10.00 on amazon.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
Im 57 and wear contacts. I also wear readers to....read.

My answer for shooting is a pair of Elvex RX500 reader safety glasses in +1.0 power. My normal reading glasses are a +1.75. Due to the front sight being farther away than you would typically read a book, you don't need as much power. And don't worry if your target is a little blurry. That doesn't matter. And what a difference it also makes rummaging thru the range bag, loading mags etc. Try them, their only like $10.00 on amazon.
How does an 8" black paper target look to your eyes at say 20 or 25 yards? Is it crystal clear? If not, don't you find it hard to get an accurate shot off even if you are front sight focused?