Good news & Bad news.. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 08:35 PM

Good news & Bad news..

The good new is that I received my ULCC back from Wilson. The gold bead front sight I had installed, replacing the original red FO front sight, looks and works great. The gun shoots where its aimed and functions as smoothly and reliably as it ever has. Wilson included a new test target with a nice one hole five shot group shot at fifteen yards.
The bad news is that WC was unable to refinish it in gloss black AT as I had requested. Instead it came back with a drab flat black paint job, looking just like something from Rock Island. They had also painted my aluminum trigger, and my polished hammer with black AT. I hurriedly sanded the paint off of them, still needing to glass bead the trigger. WC's customer service is checking for a solution, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by coyotebuster; 01-12-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:16 PM

It’s your pistol, and you have every right to have what you want, but..........

In my opinion, that is one sharp looking carry pistol. For many small arms, I choose function AND finish, but for a defensive pistol, function first, all day every day.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:45 PM

The flat look AT is much much stronger than the old gloss version, if that's any consolation for the loss of your nice finish.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 06:06 AM

There have been a number of "Bring back Glossy-Black" threads over the last year, and I fully support this grassroots effort :-)...It does look a lot better, but your gun still looks nice as is (kinda stealthy :-))...When I received my black-TE back from WC with the new comped barrel last year I got a similar surprise, at first I thought they left it in the sonic-cleaner too long ;-), but I love her (the gun) just the same :-).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 01-13-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:30 AM

The flat black is a much more durable finish. My CQB with the glossy black is much more prone to dings and scratches than the one I have with the newer flat version.

I think your Wilson looks great!
Old 01-13-2020, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I understand that the main purpose of a defensive pistol is to reliably send a projectile to its intended target, and that this pistol will absolutely do that.

I've concluded that I will happily continue carrying this pistol, and will continue to enjoy shooting it for many years to come. I was aware of the possibility that WC may no longer be able to refinish the gun using the gloss black AT I would have preferred, so I have no reason to complain. The gun shoots great, functions perfectly, and the new front sight is properly zeroed, and as visible as I hoped it would be. I have no other handgun, of any kind, that is as accurate and easily shootable as this ULCC. I just hope that sometime soon, Wilson will bring the gloss black AT back. I'll have this gun on the truck back to Arkansas as soon as they do.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Gold bead sight flat or domed? Nice gun btw!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 01-13-2020, 04:53 PM

I received an e-mail from WC's customer service today. After looking at the photos I sent at their request, they requested I return the pistol to be refinished, and are sending out a shipping label. Hopefully they located a pint of the old stuff.
Thanks Grandpas, the gold bead is flat. I'm very impressed with it. I had a brass bead front sight on a Colt Wiley Clapp CCO, and it didn't stand out near as well as this gold bead front sight does.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:06 PM

Glad to hear WC will take care of you. But truth be told, I like the flat black finish! But that's just me. Thanks for posting...
Old 01-13-2020, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotebuster View Post
I received an e-mail from WC's customer service today. After looking at the photos I sent at their request, they requested I return the pistol to be refinished, and are sending out a shipping label. Hopefully they located a pint of the old stuff.
Thanks Grandpas, the gold bead is flat. I'm very impressed with it. I had a brass bead front sight on a Colt Wiley Clapp CCO, and it didn't stand out near as well as this gold bead front sight does.
Probably because brass will tarnish or oxidize where gold will not - the gold bead sights on the Wilsons are 10k gold and stay very visible for quite a while. My first one (Wilson) is 8 years old and has never been polished, only wiped clean when I clean the gun, and it is still as bright and visible today as it was then (even with a bit older eyes!). Hopefully they get you the shiny black AT finish you wanted, they are pretty good about standing behind their work.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 01-13-2020, 06:20 PM

Ulcc

I have the ULCC, I kinda like the flat finish. Kinda gives it a no nonsense tough guy look.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:32 PM

Be careful what you wish for. Now it seems that you'll get your shiny finish. I love them too, but not for a carry gun. Carry guns are going to get dinged up. Whatever... You'll have a beautiful, shiny blue carry gun that will ultimately get some scratches, dings, and wear spots. The matte finish would have held up much better.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Now it seems that you'll get your shiny finish. I love them too, but not for a carry gun. Carry guns are going to get dinged up. Whatever... You'll have a beautiful, shiny blue carry gun that will ultimately get some scratches, dings, and wear spots. The matte finish would have held up much better.
I have a gloss black AT CQB compact that was built in 2008. It shows a bit of honest wear, but I love it. The honest wear does not bother me at all. I carry my pistols extensively as my off duty carry guns, but am not at all hard on them. I bought this ULCC used, and it had a gloss black AT slide / a gray AT frame. It had been carried by the original owner in a Kydex holster and showed a lot of more than honest wear. I was not a fan of the two tone so part of my decision to buy the gun was the belief that I could have it easily refinished to look like my CQB when it was new. I've bought into Wilson's AT finish system with its ease and low cost of a refinish when desired without wear to roll marks or rounding of edges. I just don't want to see them discontinue a popular and desirable color with no identical replacement.
The gun I carry each day on the job, is a stainless Colt Defender that I had customized including having the stainless slide and other steel parts finished in Ion Bond. The gun looks like a 70's blue steel Colt with matte rounds and polished blue flats. I've carried my Defender every day for the past eight years, and it shows zero wear other than some shining up of some high points on the black anodized frame. If they ever need it again my Wilson's will refinished in Ion Bond.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotebuster View Post
I would be really surprised if you sent the gun off to WC and it came back looking any different than it does right now.

There have been a fair share of people wanting the previous Glossy Black AT, and requesting their gun to be refinished in it, but they all come back Flat Black. Just research this forum and read yourself.

There's a comment from WC Rep a while back regarding the Glossy Black AT, Here's his quote: " As far as AT, we are always improving the process and materials. I am sorry but its an evolution. Lots of things impact the look of the finished product."

There's no pint of the old stuff laying around.

Your gun looks good, but it looks more Grey than it does Black.

A friend of mine has a WC pistol with some wear on the frame. He sent his pistol back to them about 4 weeks ago to be refinished in Black AT. It came back looking worse than before he sent it. He sent me before and after photos. I just can't believe WC sent it back to him looking that way. He called WC the day he received it back, emailed them a photo, and got a refund.

I've bought 5 WC pistols, everything from EDC X9 to Supergrade. No one loves WC more than I, but I'm kinda concerned about what I've been seeing lately.

Last edited by tjpaxton; 01-14-2020 at 12:06 AM.