1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 07:35 AM

Driver's License & Gun Permit

I live in Indiana so, this might be a question for a Indiana LEO.

Say I leave home and I forget my wallet, which I did just Friday. I'm driving and carrying a firearm.

If I was to get pulled over, for any reason, would a picture of my drivers license and gun permit on my phone be acceptable?

I realize it's supposed to be in my possession but, would it be acceptable?

I took pictures of my registration and have my insurance cards on my phone and it made me wonder.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:50 AM

Probably a whole lot better than the "Hi, officer, I'm your daily idiot who left his wallet home!" response.

I memorized my DL #, because I would occasionally forget my wallet while I was driving.
Some of the cops were impressed I knew the number offhand, and I never got a ticket,
when I provided the license information. So it may not help to have pictures, but it sure won't hurt to take a few seconds to put the pictures in your phone.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:38 AM

Seems to me your now leaving it up to that individual and their goodwill instead of actually having the correct documents in hand as you are supposed to in the first place. Better than nothing but still not what your supposed to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 08:42 AM

If you’re with it enough to remember your gun......remember your wallet.

Technically speaking, no, this isn’t a boarding pass at the airport, you could easily be cited for not having them.

Technically, in some states, you could end up losing that particular weapon if things weren’t going well.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:52 AM

I'm sure it all depends on the arresting officer's attitude and your attitude. If the officer just came from a "5hit" call you could be toast.

By running your license and registration the officer will know who they are dealing with and may make their determination based on the totality of the stop.

All the best in 2020,
Old 01-13-2020, 10:00 AM

My GUESS based on zero information is that it would depend on how the officer was feeling that day.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:55 AM

The ONLY way to ascertain the correct answer to your question is to look up your States Firearms statutes online and or call the SAs office and find out the actual requirements.

If you want to travel light, you could just take a pic of your gun and show that to a BG/ threat...

Last edited by Mike 139; 01-13-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:42 AM

Pics of your driver's license & carry permit in your cell phone isn't a good idea. If your phone is lost or stolen, Your name and date of birth is available to the finder/thief - and in some jurisdictions, your SSN is also on the DL, providing a Bad Guy with a complete DIY kit for identity theft.

I think most of us remember our SSN, and that, with your name, may enable the Officer to check you out sufficiently. I'd like to see a comment on this from a LEO.
Well, yes, I have a few guns...

Last edited by ambidextrous1; 01-13-2020 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2020, 11:55 AM

Retired after 34 years, so as I said in #4 here, the law is pretty plain.

You are required to have your DL in your possession while driving. There may be a state or three that can overlook that, depending on why you were stopped, but why bother?

Personally, if you’re paying attention enough to arm yourself, and turn the ignition key.....how difficult is it to add you license and permit to your ‘stuff’?

Last edited by shooter59; 01-13-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post

You are required to have your DL in your obsession while driving.
Yes, a little OCD can be a good thing! (No offense intended.)
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Old 01-13-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidextrous1 View Post
Quote:

You are required to have your DL in your obsession while driving.
Yes, a little OCD can be a good thing! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/biglaugh.gif[/IMG] (No offense intended.)
None taken at all!😊 old guys typing without glasses.....always iffy.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:34 PM

Just make color copies, laminate them and keep them in each of your vehicles.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:41 PM

Personally.

I generally take the documents that I am required to have with me, with me. This has worked well so far.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:52 PM

Moderators et al, take note.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=451647

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 01-13-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
If youíre with it enough to remember your gun......remember your wallet.
Consider yourself fortunate, apparently it hasn't happened to you.

You've just showered and are getting dressed.... almost done, the gun goes on and as you are donning your spare mage the phone rings. There's been an accident and you rush out the door... wallet still on your dresser because you were seconds from grabbing it when something more important distracted you.

$h!t happens sometimes, even to the perfect people that "never forget."
Old 01-13-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Quote:
Consider yourself fortunate, apparently it hasn't happened to you.

You've just showered and are getting dressed.... almost done, the gun goes on and as you are donning your spare mage the phone rings. There's been an accident and you rush out the door... wallet still on your dresser because you were seconds from grabbing it when something more important distracted you.

$h!t happens sometimes, even to the perfect people that "never forget."
Wow, that’s quite a reach. I’m about as far from perfect as it gets......but in almost 50 years of carrying a gun, I’ve not made that move.

Nope, my ID is next to whatever gun I’m carrying, next to the keys. Too many years with a system I found works for me.

Keys get touched last in the scenario you’re describing. Sorry, ain’t that hard.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Wow, thatís quite a reach. Iím about as far from perfect as it gets......but in almost 50 years of carrying a gun, Iíve not made that move.

Nope, my ID is next to whatever gun Iím carrying, next to the keys. Too many years with a system I found works for me.

Keys get touched last in the scenario youíre describing. Sorry, ainít that hard.
Yeah, but your forgetting that the nobody is perfect excuse is now becoming the perfect excuse for not getting it right. LOL
Old 01-13-2020, 07:48 PM

😂
Old 01-13-2020, 07:59 PM

This is a result of ending the draft. In the military there is no such thing as I FORGOT MY ID CARD.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:17 PM

As I pocket carry in the home and of course go to the mail box I photo copied drivers license and CCW back to back, laminated - then stuck it in my 'Sticky' holster with my new S/A Hellcat. It just happens thats also my EDC out of the house.

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 01-14-2020, 12:19 AM
Banned

Every cop is different. When i was a cop years and years ago, barring some other reason to, i wouldnt hassle you about it beyond telling you to be better about remembering it next time. Life is busy, people forget things. Its human.

The problem is a lot of cops are under the impression that arresting John Q Public with a pistol is the same as getting a felon in possession, and the Sgt’s stat book back at the station doesnt differentiate one gun arrest from another. Its also easier to cruise the ‘burbs pulling BS traffic stops than it is getting into the grit of a city where the crime actually is and you have to actually do police work.

As much as id like to say youre fine, it all comes down to the cop that has you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbar View Post
I live in Indiana so, this might be a question for a Indiana LEO.

Say I leave home and I forget my wallet, which I did just Friday. I'm driving and carrying a firearm.

If I was to get pulled over, for any reason, would a picture of my drivers license and gun permit on my phone be acceptable?

I realize it's supposed to be in my possession but, would it be acceptable?

I took pictures of my registration and have my insurance cards on my phone and it made me wonder.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
If youíre with it enough to remember your gun......remember your wallet.

Technically speaking, no, this isnít a boarding pass at the airport, you could easily be cited for not having them.

Technically, in some states, you could end up losing that particular weapon if things werenít going well.
Not necessarily true. I walk around my house and around my property all the time with my gun and no wallet.

I always remember my gun but, the wallet isn't always necessary.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily true. I walk around my house and around my property all the time with my gun and no wallet.

So, have you been able to determine what the State of Indiana could do to you if you have your gun and don't have your proper identification with you? Just curious as to what you might be risking. You know you just happen to come across that one cop that goes by the book for some silly reason and seems to believe that you should be responsible enough to remember your wallet and proper ID.

Last edited by Dddrees; 01-14-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:25 AM

I can't offer any advice but thought I'd mention that in Georgia, usually on drivers license they ask name, DOB and address and run it manually. Luckily I Know my DLN by memory as I do my debit card number lol. As for carry permit, well our vehicles are considered an extension of our home therefore no permit required to carry loaded in your personal vehicle. And as for on person.....well thank God were in a "free" state. By law the LEO can NOT ask you if you have a permit to conceal carry. Unless you have to use it in self defense. Then you best have one. With all that said ....upon a traffic stop or road check...I hand my driver's license and politely say "good morning/afternoon officer, just for clarity I'm carrying or have a firearm in my console how should I proceed? Usually it's "thanks for telling me. Then goes on about his stop/license check and I'm on my way. I've had one State patrol to ask to hold it while he conducted his "warning" cleared the weapon ran serial number and handed the cleared weapon with the full magazine and said have a great day...nice 1911 by the way.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Technically speaking, no, this isn’t a boarding pass at the airport, you could easily be cited for not having them.

Technically, in some states, you could end up losing that particular weapon if things weren’t going well.

Bad analogy. I don’t think being armed on your property is remotely the same as the scenario originally described..
Closed Thread