S&W model 41 school me - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-05-2020, 08:16 AM

S&W model 41 school me

Looking to add a 22lr pistol. School me on it’s reliability, any issues, getting mags, parts etc. I was headed toward a VQ scorpion and got side tracked on a 41. Im looking for a reliable shooter vs something that might have issues.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:34 AM
Banned

I've have two S&W 41s. One of the Performance Center versions and one with 7 inch slide. Although I could have just purchased a 7 inch slide after getting the Performance Center version with the rail I decided it better to put that money towards another gun because it was after all about a third of the cost of a gun.

I haven't had them long and I only have fired my 7 inch version once. My experience with the Performance Center version has been good with CCI Standard Velocity and my experience with my one and only range session with my 7 inch version not so good.

If were you I would check out Rim Fire Central and get even more feedback. What I have seen in general is most have good experiences but there are some who have not.

Getting parts and such has been easy. Extra slides can be harder if looking for S&W slides. I think they might only make them at certain times of the year and those can be hard to come by if you are looking at the wrong time. However if you wait they will become available. However there is one company (Clark?) that makes a few versions and that is another option.

Last edited by Dddrees; 01-05-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:36 AM
More Cowbell...

I have 2. Solid pistols.

Get a few extra mags and if a mag give you fits, trash it or send it back to Smith for replacement. Life is too short to deal with mag problems.
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 08:41 AM

They've been around since 1957ish! S&W started working on the prototype around 1949ish. Here we are 70 years later!

Like the external extractor S&W is still perfecting it! (Sarcasm!)

I have way too many .22 precision pistols. 2 are M41's #1 is a 1962 vintage with the "cocking indicator", please notice I did not say loaded chamber indicator! This model has been used almost weekly for Gallery Bulls-eye. I still shoots perfect and looks like it was made yesterday!

#2 is from 1984 and has vey few rounds through it. There are a few minor changes but still a "shooter"!

The good news is they can still be serviced by S&W and barrels are still being made. I have a new one from current production that required a little fitting to lock perfectly.

Magazines are readily available and like Hi-Standard's may require a little adjustment from time to time "easy-peasy".

Both are retired currently and my "go-to" Gallery Bulls-eye gun is a Nelson Conversion on a dedicated Fusion receiver.

As in all things ".22" your gun may be a little finicky about ammo. I use CCI SV almost exclusively in all mine! Your gun will tell you what it likes!

Respect your .22s and use a snap cap if dry firing. You'll thank me later!

All the best in 2020 shoot more, clean less,

Last edited by jjfitch; 01-05-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:55 AM

I have a 5˝" M41 I bought new in about 1981. It has never skipped a beat. I don't think I've ever fired anything other than CCI ammo through it, and before I knew better, most of the earlier shooting was with Mini-Mags. It's a great pistol.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:16 AM

Thank you for all the good responses and feedback.

My choice just got harder!!...
Old 01-05-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post

My choice just got harder!!...
If so, you're overthinking it!!!!

These are fantastic pistols, and I believe every rimfire fan should have one... or two... or..... at least all of the different barrel lengths.

You'll likely have very good results with CCI SV as well as with Aguila SV, I've found. Avoid the high-velocity stuff, there's no reason to run those through a 41. Mags are plentiful, and not very expensive. All of the recent-production ones I've purchased have worked great.

Good luck on the hunt!
Old 01-05-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
If so, you're overthinking it!!!!

These are fantastic pistols, and I believe every rimfire fan should have one... or two... or..... at least all of the different barrel lengths.

You'll likely have very good results with CCI SV as well as with Aguila SV, I've found. Avoid the high-velocity stuff, there's no reason to run those through a 41. Mags are plentiful, and not very expensive. All of the recent-production ones I've purchased have worked great.

Good luck on the hunt!
Good to hear Jim. Magazine availability and reliability is key to keeping it fun.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:18 PM

At RimfireCentral.com there is a Smith & Wesson Model 41 subforum.

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=306

I own a 1978 5.5" M41 that I bought very used and abused. It had a few problems and looks like dogbutt but a former USMC team armorer got it to run great on CCI SV. In a Ransom Rest mounted on a heavy wooden movable rifle bench CCI SV will group 30 shots* in an NRA B-6 X ring at 50 yards using either the relined factory barrel or a Clark barrel that I have.

*I wanted to measure worst performance. If the pistol and ammo shoots like that they are probably not the choke on scoring ability.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:48 PM

I acquired a pristine 1979 vintage M41 a while back. I quickly added a Clark aftermarket barrel with integral rail for a red dot. Unbeatable combination for these old eyes. It does require semi-reasonable cleaning or it will fail to chamber
resulting in a no-fire.

Also, my go-to ammo was Federal Auto Match. Not acceptable. Way too many no-fires. Switched to CCI SV and problem went away.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:44 PM

You didn't say what you want it for.

If you want a pistol that will work with any cheap promotional load, then no, the 41 isn't for you.

If you understand the M41 is a target revolver intended for accuracy over all else...And understand that you'll have to find a few loads that work well and shoot well; then you'll be VERY happy with it.

If ammo versatility is more important than ultimate accuracy, then buy one of the higher end Rugers or Brownings...or that ugly new S&W.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
If you understand the M41 is a target revolver intended for accuracy over all else...And understand that you'll have to find a few loads that work well and shoot well; then you'll be VERY happy with it.
While I am open minded enough to let my M41 self identify anyway it wants to we had to have a talk when it wanted to be a 32ACP.

"Let's open the slide and look at our bolt face. See, you're a rimfire. You need to shop in the rimfire aisle for ammo and compete in the 22 competitions. Unless you have drastic altering surgery you won't ever be a 32ACP and compete in Center Fire."

We're seeing a therapist. I wouldn't know how to explain to my M41 if it thought it should be double action and single action. If would be weird if it openly admitted to wanting a cylinder hand and a cylinder stop.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
You didn't say what you want it for.

If you want a pistol that will work with any cheap promotional load, then no, the 41 isn't for you.

If you understand the M41 is a target pistol intended for accuracy over all else...And understand that you'll have to find a few loads that work well and shoot well; then you'll be VERY happy with it.

If ammo versatility is more important than ultimate accuracy, then buy one of the higher end Rugers or Brownings...or that ugly new S&W.
The guns purpose is primarily range target use.
I run match ammo in most of my rifles (i dont reload). So i dont mind using what gets me the best results. I shoot enough to tell the difference for the most part. Another example is my VQ .17 HMR rifle, CCI A17 works the best, costs a bit more, but gets the best results and fewest misfeeds.

Last edited by Plantar5; 01-05-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:58 PM

I'm an older guy here, first got really interested in handguns in around 1964 at the age of 19. The Smith & Wesson 41 soon become my dream handgun and got my first one in the late 70's. I have owned 3 different 41's over the years since then. I have also owned Rugers, Brownings, High Standards and various others as well. There's just something special about the model 41, nice balance, perfect crisp trigger, great sights, and the pride of ownership thing. I shoot primarily CCI standard velocity ammo but I have a buffer for mine and I also shoot Federal high velocity at times as well. One of the pistols that you say you are considering is the Volquartsen Scorpion, so the price of the model 41 shouldn't spook you. I don't think you would ever regret buying one.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:49 PM

The prices are similar, and doesn’t spook me. Ive got a high standard that was my fathers, and it doesn’t feed reliably, but I’d never part with it for obvious reasons.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
The prices are similar, and doesn’t spook me. Ive got a high standard that was my fathers, and it doesn’t feed reliably, but I’d never part with it for obvious reasons.
Try the new HS magazines, grab a tool, and adjust the lips, it should be rock solid. The magazine controls the feeding process, there is no ramp. So if its giving you trouble, a little adjustment on quality mags and you're all set. I'd try adjusting the old mags first of course.

This is may favorite article/website on how to adjust the HS mags.

HIGH STANDARD MAGAZINE ADJUSTMENT MODEL 102-107 HYPERLINK

Unlikely to be needed but also for reference:

http://www.histandard.info/Jim_Barta/HS-MAGSHIM.pdf
Distinguished Pistol #388

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 01-05-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:19 PM

High Standards are totally dependent on magazine quality and adjustment.
There are tools and instructions for the last generations.
I have two originals that work well and three A series of recent Texas manufacture that feed but don't always slide lock and drop free. I have a gunshow magazine that was never much good and I only made it worse by tinkering. A friend has a couple of those cheapies that are fine in his High Standard.

My M41 is more certain in operation but not more accurate, if quite as good.

Last edited by Jim Watson; 01-05-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
Try the new HS magazines, grab a tool, and adjust the lips, it should be rock solid. The magazine controls the feeding process, there is no ramp. So if its giving you trouble, a little adjustment on quality mags and you're all set. I'd try adjusting the old mags first of course.

This is may favorite article/website on how to adjust the HS mags.

HIGH STANDARD MAGAZINE ADJUSTMENT MODEL 102-107 HYPERLINK

Unlikely to be needed but also for reference:

http://www.histandard.info/Jim_Barta/HS-MAGSHIM.pdf
Thank you for the excellent references!!

What is the best source for new/additional magazines?
Old 01-06-2020, 08:01 AM

Being the happy owner of three M106's and enough magazines I've found the above videos spot on. the "tool" is easy to make using 1/4" bar stock and a Dremel.

The current "Texas" H/S magazines seem to be harder or thicker in the feed lip area and work just fine.

Shoot more and clean less in 2020,
Old 01-06-2020, 08:23 AM

I got mine here
https://interarmstx.com/product-cate...gazines-parts/

They are not perfect but they work well enough that I now have five magazines to get me through a Steel Challenge stage.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:36 AM

Hammerli all the way

I have a Volquartsen LLV, SW 41, both are very good but my Hammerli 215S can't miss. The International, 208, 215 are great choices and worth the extra $$$ compared to the LLV and 41. Usually shoot Eley. Last time I used CCI standard velocity in my 41 I had 3 hang fires!!!!
Old 01-12-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easytoremember View Post
Last time I used CCI standard velocity in my 41 I had 3 hang fires!!!!
Wow! That is unusual, must have been a bad lot.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:56 AM

Does anyone know what year a Model 41 with a UATxxxx prefix was made?
Seller says its New Old Stock but couldn’t tell me the production year.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:17 AM

UAT is not on the SCSW chart, closest thing is UAM for 1997. Only year for U-- at all.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:51 AM

Definition: hangfire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
Wow! That is unusual, must have been a bad lot.
"Hang fire refers to an unexpected delay between the triggering of a firearm and the ignition of the propellant. This failure was common in firearm actions that relied on open primer pans, due to the poor or inconsistent quality of the powder. Modern firearms are susceptible also. The delay is usually too brief to be noticed, but can be several seconds. A hangfire should be suspected whenever a firearm fails to fire, but has not clearly malfunctioned."

"Hang fires" are extremely rare in todays firearms and modern ammunition.

"Failure to fire" is something entirely different. Usually a mechanical failure or poor quality ammo. Promotional .22 ammo is prone to FTF's due to poor quality control. The primer compound does not go the full circumference of the rim or is missing entirely. Sometime a .22 FTF will fire if rotated slightly.

I've been using CCI SV almost exclusively as far back as I can remember I've been shooting Gallery Bulls-eye, at least 30 years! The only issues I've had were attributed to dirty gun! (Probably 500 rounds between cleaning!)

All the best in 2020,

Last edited by jjfitch; 01-15-2020 at 08:59 AM.