7-Time World Champion Rob Leatham: Gun Guys - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-24-2019, 09:04 AM

7-Time World Champion Rob Leatham: Gun Guys

24-Time USPSA national champion and 7-Time IPSC World Champion shooter Rob Leatham talks about the keys to his success and the early days of discovering his obsession with practical pistol shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWhuvDTSqg
Old 12-24-2019, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Amp, I always enjoy learning from my friends Bill, Ken, Robbie, and Larry on those gun guy videos.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-25-2019, 09:46 AM

Great video, thanks

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2019, 09:59 AM
1911 Aficionado

Last time I shot nationals, I walked the prize table with Leatham . . . Kippi Leatham, but still.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:53 PM

Rob is shooting a lot of bullseye now, and doing well. It's a steep learning curve going from practical to precision, but his desire to improve is incredible. Great guy to talk to while scoring targets in a match.
Bob
Old 12-29-2019, 03:41 PM

Seems to be a straight shooter in his opinions and why.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1911cwp View Post
Seems to be a straight shooter in his opinions and why.
I loved the end comments about just getting out and shooting matches.

I think I'm a competitor more than a shooter, and I'm a shooter more than a gun guy. If I can't compete I'm not all that interested in shooting, so if I'm not shooting then why do I need guns outside of home defense. Meh..........

What I'm getting at is I feel a breed apart from anyone at a range, and clearly Mr. Letham is a breed apart from me, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I hand fed my Army Reserve Unit an opportunity to go shooting, and offered them (I have command authority) a DAY OFF from a monthly drill to replace it with shooting a local Glock Challenge Match.

I only needed TWO of any of my 160 soldiers to go to the match. I supplied ammo, and guns. All they had to do is show up and register.

I only had ONE taker. So we didn't have enough to make a "Guardian" Division Team. With me carrying the Team we would won easily. My other guy that went did place 14/30. First time out, first time with a Glock, and my soldier placed MID PACK against other emergency responders and military. The pickings is easy if you enjoy shooting. I won, so if we had a third shooter he would only needed 29th/30 to have won as a team.

OH...... TOO BOOT!!!!!!!!!!!! There was an active duty Marine working as an RSO at the match. He was standing RIGHT THERE. I tried to get him to shoot with us as a team (we'd still qualify as a mixed Guardian Team), but NOPE!!!!!!!!! I had the pistol and ammo RIGHT THERE. He's standing RIGHT THERE, there's the range RIGHT THERE. Didn't want to compete................

Folks are afraid to lose.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:21 AM

I think they are more afraid of showing how inadequate they are with their sidearm. Police officers are the same way except for the very few that will put their skill set to the test and work hard to improve them
Old 12-30-2019, 12:11 PM

Yup 95% of our dept doesn't shoot except for qualifications and that is a box of ammo, stactic, 15 yards and in. They just don't want to put the time and money into improving even though it could make the difference in going home, dead or jail. I get a handful of guys to go out with me to local uspsa/idpa matches just for different shooting skills. They like it just not enough to dedicate the time and money to once a month at the least. I have even told them about dry fire when they come to me for improvements in their shooting. I can take them to the range to waste a few boxes of ammo but they won't practice so the bad habits come back.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
I loved the end comments about just getting out and shooting matches.

I think I'm a competitor more than a shooter, and I'm a shooter more than a gun guy. If I can't compete I'm not all that interested in shooting, so if I'm not shooting then why do I need guns outside of home defense. Meh..........

What I'm getting at is I feel a breed apart from anyone at a range, and clearly Mr. Letham is a breed apart from me, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I hand fed my Army Reserve Unit an opportunity to go shooting, and offered them (I have command authority) a DAY OFF from a monthly drill to replace it with shooting a local Glock Challenge Match.
Same here. Every gun I own except my Glock 43 I bought for a specific sport in a specific division.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lppd4 View Post
I think they are more afraid of showing how inadequate they are with their sidearm. Police officers are the same way except for the very few that will put their skill set to the test and work hard to improve them
It's a competitive drive. We are lucky the young and physically fit are not draw to our sport. Old fat dudes can still rein at the top if they practice.