Best multi-mag carrier or pouch for 1911 competitions and all around - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Best multi-mag carrier or pouch for 1911 competitions and all around

I'm thinking of getting into steel matches at the local club. Most of the competitors have some form of multiple mag carrier or pouch they are using attached to their belt or whatever but nobody is using a 1911. They are all using striker fired or some variation of that for the most part.

Wondering what the best deal or is on a quick access 1911 multiple mag carrier or pouch that holds mags securely that I could use in competition or elsewhere. I say best deal because I don't know if it'll take with me with my schedule and so forth, so don't want to sink the max into it at first. I know, buy once, cry once, but there are alternatives I'm sure.

I would be using 10 round Chip McCormick mags with the larger base pad on them in 45ACP.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by WT54; 12-25-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added "1911 mag"
Old 12-25-2019, 10:01 AM

I went with these, as they are “reasonably” priced for a competition pouch and have spacers to do single stack or double stack magazines.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/racer-pouch

I bought some spacers for single stack magazines right away and have not installed them yet. Mags hold just fine and actually tilt out away from the body a bit which I like.

They also sell a single stack only version of this pouch, if you know you will never get a 2011...
Old 12-25-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_fan111 View Post
I went with these, as they are “reasonably” priced for a competition pouch and have spacers to do single stack or double stack magazines.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/racer-pouch

I bought some spacers for single stack magazines right away and have not installed them yet. Mags hold just fine and actually tilt out away from the body a bit which I like.

They also sell a single stack only version of this pouch, if you know you will never get a 2011...
Those are nice. I am wondering what all is available. I located a Safariland 3 mag carrier that looks nice on Midway

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014020860?pid=654407
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2019, 11:48 AM

I've been shooting almost exclusively singlestack (so yeah sometimes I have to carry a lot of mags on me), am a couple years into USPSA and SC, and one of the best things I've found is "Tuff Products 8-in-Line Magazine Pouch 1911", $40 on Amazon. It's flexible enough to wrap around my hip, it retains magazines adequately (I haven't been upside down in any stages yet, though), and having eight close enough together means I reach the 'next one' easily without my hand reaching/flailing halfway around my back. There's a flap you can use over the top of it, attaches with velcro, so I only use it when it's raining.

I don't know if it's as fast as the individual/pair plastic ones, and it is "point out" rather than "point forward", but it's working great for me.

And my 8rd 45ACP mags don't sit quite as close together as in the pic scraped from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
8rd-magpouch.jpg  
Old 12-25-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igloodude View Post
I've been shooting almost exclusively singlestack (so yeah sometimes I have to carry a lot of mags on me), am a couple years into USPSA and SC, and one of the best things I've found is "Tuff Products 8-in-Line Magazine Pouch 1911", $40 on Amazon. It's flexible enough to wrap around my hip, it retains magazines adequately (I haven't been upside down in any stages yet, though), and having eight close enough together means I reach the 'next one' easily without my hand reaching/flailing halfway around my back. There's a flap you can use over the top of it, attaches with velcro, so I only use it when it's raining.

I don't know if it's as fast as the individual/pair plastic ones, and it is "point out" rather than "point forward", but it's working great for me.

And my 8rd 45ACP mags don't sit quite as close together as in the pic scraped from Amazon.
Looks interesting though not sure if it would work in my case as I will be using various round count magazines with different size bumpers on them, sort of a hodge podge for now to see if I'm really interested in getting into it.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT54 View Post
Looks interesting though not sure if it would work in my case as I will be using various round count magazines with different size bumpers on them, sort of a hodge podge for now to see if I'm really interested in getting into it.
While all my mags are Wilsons, I've got a combination of low-profile and tall bumpers on my 8rd mags and a 10rd mag I occasionally put at the end. Doesn't end up mattering in my pulling them during on-the-clock reloads, though the 10rd is a Barney-loading-only mag I put at the back end of the row.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
While all my mags are Wilsons, I've got a combination of low-profile and tall bumpers on my 8rd mags and a 10rd mag I occasionally put at the end. Doesn't end up mattering in my pulling them during on-the-clock reloads, though the 10rd is a Barney-loading-only mag I put at the back end of the row.
good to know. I'm not that big into velcro. is that a velcro cover flap?

Last edited by WT54; 12-26-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:

No.

These are the only ones I'd emphatically say never to get. You want individual pouches.

Whether it's from Red Hill Tactical, Ghost, DAA, Comptac, Safarilnad or whatever, you want individual pouches so you can put them on your belt in the ideal spot. Granted, for steel, it's not that important, but if you ever wanted to get into any of the other "action" games, that nylon multipouch disaster thing is going to hold you back.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:16 PM

if you are reloading on the clock, waktasz is entirely right. If you are reloading between strings and just need to keep mags handy, then that 8 mag pouch would be fine. I should get something like that for my 22 pistol mags for steel, but instead I just put them in my vest pocket or on the table next to me.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
No.

These are the only ones I'd emphatically say never to get. You want individual pouches.

Whether it's from Red Hill Tactical, Ghost, DAA, Comptac, Safarilnad or whatever, you want individual pouches so you can put them on your belt in the ideal spot. Granted, for steel, it's not that important, but if you ever wanted to get into any of the other "action" games, that nylon multipouch disaster thing is going to hold you back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosapiens View Post
if you are reloading on the clock, waktasz is entirely right. If you are reloading between strings and just need to keep mags handy, then that 8 mag pouch would be fine. I should get something like that for my 22 pistol mags for steel, but instead I just put them in my vest pocket or on the table next to me.
Can you elaborate as to why? I don't understand why individual pouches are better, especially because I can put the 8-pouch right on my hip in what I'd think is the perfect spot (for pretty much all eight), and the first and second individual ones can go in that same spot but after that they're going farther back.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:01 AM

I guess what I would look for in this case is something that if I didn't take to the competition I could still utilize the mag holder. Some of them seem too brightly colored and not concealable were I to decide I needed that option, and I get it. It's about speed, though I am not Rambo and don't think I'll ever truly be able to utilize the benefits of some of the mag pouches available. I checked out the Ghost and DAA pouches. Wow. But not really my thing. It is more of a hobby for me. Bladetech and CompTac seem to have what I am looking for and the Safariland 3 mag looks like a suitable option as well. My primary concern is retention and control. Price is of course a consideration since I am just getting into it as well and some of those sets are incredible!

Last edited by WT54; 12-26-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:11 AM

I use a quad version of this. Its only available in doubles now, but its about the best deal on something that works good. Anything nylon holds the mag too close to the body for a smooth quick draw at speed.
https://blade-tech.com/products/sign...=8666076086362
Old 12-26-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
I use a quad version of this. Its only available in doubles now, but its about the best deal on something that works good. Anything nylon holds the mag too close to the body for a smooth quick draw at speed.
https://blade-tech.com/products/sign...=8666076086362
I've been impressed with just about everything Bladetech makes for 1911's. I was surprised to find out a holster I picked up barely used on Armslist for $10 by Bladetech held a 1911 with a rail even. What a deal that was. That's one of those deals where you tell yourself you've earned an Arizona Iced Tea with some brandy mixed in on Friday night!
Old 12-26-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Can you elaborate as to why? I don't understand why individual pouches are better, especially because I can put the 8-pouch right on my hip in what I'd think is the perfect spot (for pretty much all eight), and the first and second individual ones can go in that same spot but after that they're going farther back.
speed. I don't think I (or you) can reload in under 1.5 seconds with the mags that close together.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:06 PM

Just found a one of those two mag 11 carriers that comes with a new Springfield 1911 on eBay for $10 shipped. Not the greatest for the purpose, I'm sure, but it was $10 and I've heard they are decent.

That'll have to do for now because there is a used Springfield 1911 on Gunbroker that I started bidding on and my mag funds just dried up. Thanks for your suggestions everybody.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
speed. I don't think I (or you) can reload in under 1.5 seconds with the mags that close together.
+1

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2019, 10:43 PM

Consider these. They come in 4 and 6 pouch configurations. They are inexpensive and they work. Available for many different guns.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/eAMP-Challe...YAAOSwB4NWul7d
Old 12-27-2019, 04:51 AM

Competitive Action pistol shooting and reloads....

Quote:
Can you elaborate as to why? I don't understand why individual pouches are better,
Individual mag pouches allow the competitive shooter to place the mag pouch in the ideal location to make a speed reload. An individual mag pouch allows grasping the mag much easier and faster than having mags placed side by side and very close to each other.

For USPSA, I would often have a mag pouch placed near the middle belt line of my front torso, so when I dropped the mag, the distance to reach the mag was slightly closer than having a mag pouch placed at my side and well behind my hip bone.... The rules of IDPA state the mag pouches must be placed behind the hip bone..... A speed reload is not required in Steel Challenge, so many people simply place additional mags in their pockets or if there is a nearby table, they will place them on the table......
Old 12-27-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Ah, got it, thanks for the clarification. My reload times are currently measured with a calendar, but I'm going to be doing a lot of dryfire practice with reloads in the next couple months and will mix in conventional pouches and report results back here once I have them.

Edit: It just occurred to me, I can also leave gaps of one or two mag slots, so have say 1~~2~34 vs 12345678, I'll test whether that makes a difference for myself, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
Individual mag pouches allow the competitive shooter to place the mag pouch in the ideal location to make a speed reload. An individual mag pouch allows grasping the mag much easier and faster than having mags placed side by side and very close to each other.

For USPSA, I would often have a mag pouch placed near the middle belt line of my front torso, so when I dropped the mag, the distance to reach the mag was slightly closer than having a mag pouch placed at my side and well behind my hip bone.... The rules of IDPA state the mag pouches must be placed behind the hip bone..... A speed reload is not required in Steel Challenge, so many people simply place additional mags in their pockets or if there is a nearby table, they will place them on the table......
For clarification, SingleStack in USPSA requires mags at/behind the front edge of the hip, I think same as Production/CarryOptics and it sounds like same as IDPA.

And yeah, USPSA speed issues or not, the 8-mag pouch is really convenient for Steel Challenge, it's legal for an "oh crap I had five misses" reload on the clock, too.

Last edited by Igloodude; 12-27-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:06 AM

I run an EssTac Quadrunner on MY battlebelt. The design is such, that when you pull the outer mags, the inner mags are pushed outward, making THEM easier to grab when you need 'em!
Old 12-27-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
And yeah, USPSA speed issues or not, the 8-mag pouch is really convenient for Steel Challenge, it's legal for an "oh crap I had five misses" reload on the clock, too.
I would advise not having 5 misses.

Rimfire challenge (similar to steel challenge but different) does not allow reloads, so everyone barneys up to 11 to start. they also have up to 7 targets (maybe 8, i've only done it a couple times), so after you miss once or twice, u need to start paying attention.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I would advise not having 5 misses.

Rimfire challenge (similar to steel challenge but different) does not allow reloads, so everyone barneys up to 11 to start. they also have up to 7 targets (maybe 8, i've only done it a couple times), so after you miss once or twice, u need to start paying attention.
True enough.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:58 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited by WT54; 12-28-2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Editing
Old 12-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT54 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.
It sounds like you're basically done with the post, but I'll throw in with a thought or two. You want a rig for competition and all around.

Unfortunately, competition and all around are mutually exclusive, although I thought as you do before I started seriously competing. I had always advocated training with your carry gun and carry rig and shot that way with my friends. A year ago I took my double mag holders and concealment holster to my first IDPA match and found myself seriously hampered by that equipment. If you're going to compete, listen to the guys who earlier recommended individual mag pouches. And you'll need a competition holster. And you'll need a competition velcro double belt. I got mine from Black Scorpion Gear. Buy the whole rig together to get the best deal.

Double mag pouches are for concealment, not competition. There's nothing wrong with training like you fight and fighting like you train, so I get thinking you'll compete with your carry rig. However, you'll be hampered by that gear and maybe even unsafe when you're constantly drawing and reholstering. A concealment holster cants the gun muzzle aft, so you'll be sweeping the range officer every time you reholster. Drawing from a concealment holster will be slower and mag changes from a concealment mag pouch will be slower.

The guys you'll be competing against are so quick that you'll absolutely need a suitable competition rig to even have any chance of being competitive. Get the competition rig and practice drawing, getting a consistent grip on the gun as you bring it up, finding your front sight or RMR dot, and squeezing/pressing the trigger so as not to pull your sights off target. The competitions themselves will add a whole new level of stress and problems to overcome.

I still train/shoot from concealment from time to time, but when I compete I give myself a chance and do so by having an appropriate gun, holster, and rig set up for that competition. Have fun.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:48 PM

I'm shooting a USPSA match tomorrow/Sunday if the weather holds, so hopefully I can practice what I preach.