Chain saw stuff - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-25-2019, 07:32 AM

I would have thought that they all had adjustable tensioning as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
I think they all have adjustable tensioning. And, all chains stretch. First, when they're new, and after that if the continue to stretch a lot they're worn out. This is exacerbated by running them hard, on tough tasks, usually when the oiling isn't doing it's job. Plugged up, or not working correctly. Heat builds up, hard on bar & chains both. Of course, there's also always the chance that your chain was just too long to begin with, in which case you'll just run out of adjustment as it stretches.
But I got the idea that perhaps this was not the case from another post. Otherwise how would you even change chains? As for pine trees. when I do cut them on occasion. I try to cut them in the winter time. If it is cold most of the sap will be in the ground, and thus less mess. An old guy that I used to buy wood from before I retired and had time to cut my own told me that if you cut pine when it is below freezing it is even good to use for firewood.

It will burn fast and hot but you do not get the creosote build up that one would normally get if you burn pine that is cut in the summer.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Kerosene will cut the gum from some trees and the pitch from pines . Been feeding my family for years with a tree company I owned . I use cheap oil in oiler and used to use used oil when a lot was being used . Chains stretch and I only use non kick back chains . Not cheap .
I am certainly going to give that a shot. Does the kerosene get mixed in the oilier or is it applied on the bar and sprockets?
Old 09-26-2019, 03:45 PM

I too have a couple of spares in my field saw box. Just the cost of doin "business ".

Also use leftover motor oil. It works.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:41 PM

Cityboy GONRA's "occasionally user" chainsaw knowledge isn't much. But hava little experience:
Learned that cheep Big Box Bar Oil may not be tacky enuf - damages equipment. >>> Get Name Brand Bar Oil ONLY! <<<
Also, for us occasional users, forget your Fragile Male Ego and get a Girly Start (windup spring pull) Stilhl MS 251 C-BE.
Use their (expensive) canned fuel too - REALLY saves "ethanol problems"!!!
Get a Harbor Freight electric chain sharpener.

Above verks for me and has saved/stopped ENDLESS [email protected]#$%^&* problems...

Last edited by GONRA; 09-26-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 PM

Most of the gas stations around here now have a non-ethanol pump.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:47 PM

Now this "non Ethanol" description is interesting in and of itself.

Quote:
Most of the gas stations around here now have a non-ethanol pump.
I queried the owner of a local fuel depot on this. A young man that I generally consider to be fairly honest as I have known him for quite some time. My question to him was why do they label this fuel as "non Ethanol" fuel as opposed to labelling it Ethanol free fuel. It might stand to reason that since they currently label these poisonous soft drinks as being "sugar free". Why do they not Label gasoline in the same fashion?

His reply to me made a lot of sense. As he suspected that the gasoline dispensed as such may not be entirely Ethanol free. These corporations will sell you down the river any way that they can. Make no mistake about it.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:25 AM

An even better label would be "real gas".
I noticed the other day that the pumps now all have stickers with the Federal, State, and local taxes listed. I always shake my head at the idiots who bad-mouth evil 'big oil' and their egregious profits. The government makes about 7 times as much, and does far less.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:46 AM

Kero in oil . Don't leave gas in any motor for very long . ethanol; eats rubber. Sometimes while cutting big stump's an oil can for extra oil can help. Fiscus ( rubber trees and some pines can really gum up a saw.

Last edited by kwo51; 09-27-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:31 PM

Yeah. At great expense, the wife and I only use the "Ethanol free" pump in town for all our cars, yard tools, etc.

We might be getting screwed (maybe there is some Ethanol)...but I'm kinda old school. Just want gas. Not interested in any fancy, earth-saving additives...which are just a fancy way of saying, "We watered down your gas for your convenience...and our profit. Thank you."
Old 09-28-2019, 07:30 PM

Use the link below to help you find ethanol free gas in your area.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
Old 09-28-2019, 08:42 PM

I use high octane gas in my weedeaters and chainsaws that is available locally. Hard to tell if it has ethanol or not. They put ethanol stickers on hard to see places on the pumps sometimes.

I treat the gas with Sta-Bil. It's when this ethanol flavored gas sits in the tanks of my weedeaters and chainsaws for a length that I have problems.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:51 PM

The Ethanol in the gas thing is a corporate subsidy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobconroy75 View Post
Yeah. At great expense, the wife and I only use the "Ethanol free" pump in town for all our cars, yard tools, etc.

We might be getting screwed (maybe there is some Ethanol)...but I'm kinda old school. Just want gas. Not interested in any fancy, earth-saving additives...which are just a fancy way of saying, "We watered down your gas for your convenience...and our profit. Thank you."
This is a hand out to Cargill, Con Agra, and a couple of the other big players. Disguised as a green initiative. They are not concerned how this affects the performance of your small engines. After all none of these people actually do their own yard work.

Over the course of the next few years when grain prices start to spike up world wide. As they are already starting to do due to climate issues. And you start to have millions of people starving to death each year as opposed to maybe a few hundred thousand in any given year. You may actually see some push back on this. But in the meantime, I do not think that the Cargill family will be losing any sleep over it.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:14 PM

Greenville, OH not too far from home and pays the best local prices for corn. All the farmers around here like ethanol because it pays them more money.

https://www.andersonsethanol.com/facilities.asp
Old 09-30-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
An even better label would be "real gas".
I noticed the other day that the pumps now all have stickers with the Federal, State, and local taxes listed. I always shake my head at the idiots who bad-mouth evil 'big oil' and their egregious profits. The government makes about 7 times as much, and does far less.
Yep, on avg it's about $1/gal in just taxes!

nobody (NOBODY) who collects $$ wants to see less gas usage.

In AZ (and I am sure elsewhere), e vehicles are becoming an issue for the tax collectors. Since e vehicles use little to no gas the revenue stream from that tax is vanishing, BUT, DOT will now assess a "e vehicle fee" in registration to help offset the lost tax revenue from gas. This additional fee is near $250+. $250 is about half of a 12kmi/yr car running at 22mpg! As vehicles advance to electric the reg fees will go up.

Technology doesnt always help the consumer.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
Yep, on avg it's about $1/gal in just taxes!

nobody (NOBODY) who collects $$ wants to see less gas usage.

In AZ (and I am sure elsewhere), e vehicles are becoming an issue for the tax collectors. Since e vehicles use little to no gas the revenue stream from that tax is vanishing, BUT, DOT will now assess a "e vehicle fee" in registration to help offset the lost tax revenue from gas. This additional fee is near $250+. $250 is about half of a 12kmi/yr car running at 22mpg! As vehicles advance to electric the reg fees will go up.

Technology doesnt always help the consumer.
I think what you meant to say is government doesn't always help the consumer. Here in Oregon, they've been bitching about the lower receipts due to more fuel efficient vehicles. They've thrown out a plan to begin taxing drivers per mile, rather than at the pump. They'd like to implement this with a device installed in your car......
Old 10-02-2019, 06:01 AM

Ok, back to saws.
I run a Husky 550xp
I keep one new chain on hand for a emergency
I have give chains that get resharpened
I only use store bought canned fuel, no stations here sell non alcohol fuel
Old 10-02-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
This is a hand out to Cargill, Con Agra, and a couple of the other big players. Disguised as a green initiative. They are not concerned how this affects the performance of your small engines. After all none of these people actually do their own yard work.

Over the course of the next few years when grain prices start to spike up world wide. As they are already starting to do due to climate issues. And you start to have millions of people starving to death each year as opposed to maybe a few hundred thousand in any given year. You may actually see some push back on this. But in the meantime, I do not think that the Cargill family will be losing any sleep over it.
It is also alleged that ethanol is a net-net loss in the grand scheme of renewable energy, as are most renewable energy sources.

The reason is that the energy cost of growing corn to yield 1 gallon of ethanol requires more energy in terms of petroleum. The expenditure in fossil fuel for fertilizers, fuel for the tractor/combine, processing the corn, distillation energy costs, energy for the water irrigation, etc, means that more than one gallon of fossil fuel is burnt to make that one gallon of ethanol.

But don't tell that to the green earth liberals, even google likes to hide the search results.

CU scientist terms corn-based ethanol 'subsidized food burning'
Old 10-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Sometimes I get tempted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faawrenchbender View Post
Ok, back to saws.
I run a Husky 550xp
I keep one new chain on hand for a emergency
I have give chains that get resharpened
I only use store bought canned fuel, no stations here sell non alcohol fuel
To buy one of the 800 series Stihl saws. The ones that have more power than your average automobile, and boast 36 inch bars at a minimum. Just to have one. But I have a little more sense than I used to. Some great chainsaw vids on Youtube though. It is amazing how many of these dummies actually survive.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:18 PM

Father in law has always ran Stihl. No real Stihl shops where I’m at.
Local saw shop carries Husky, love mine
Old 10-05-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Father in law has always ran Stihl. No real Stihl shops where Iím at.
Local saw shop carries Husky, love mine
Husky and Stihl are both top-tier saws.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:24 AM

I have a Stihl & really like it. Don't heat with wood anymore so it mostly goes hunting with me to clear trees off roads. I use premium gas, no ethanol, & clean, drain oil & fuel after every use. After a long period of resting in its case, it'll still start about the 5th pull.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:46 PM

Cant go wrong with a Stihl.......or a Husky
Old 10-05-2019, 08:13 PM

Both kinds of music.

Quote:
Cant go wrong with a Stihl.......or a Husky
Country and western.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:23 PM

Husqvarna's blade speed is a bit higher than Stihl's which some find more desirable. Stihl service and support is pretty strong in our area. Better than Husqvarna.

Although I have never owned Husqvarna everyone that that I have talked that owned both Stihl and Husqvarna said the quality of Husqvarna is just as good as Stihl.

I have had only one bad Stihl. Through experience I prefer Stihl.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:25 PM

I keep,and maintain 3 Stihl chainsaws.I used to cut many cords of firewood a season,but as my body started failing with the nerve damage in hands, RA,hernias,and degenerative disc disease,they see very little use.I have a Stihl 021(gets the most use),028,and MS460.