How many purchased the AR 15ís? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-28-2019, 01:17 PM

How many purchased the AR 15ís?

How many newbies purchased there first new/used ar-15ís?

I been on the fence about buying one for decades, there on the ban list but not sure if I can own one or not?

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 09-28-2019, 02:28 PM

Me. I've only been a gun owner for a few years. Had and still have no interest in shooting sport rifles. I'm a pistol guy and shoot USPSA. I bought an AR-15 simply because I'm being told I shouldn't be allowed to own one. I've had it for several months and have yet to shoot it. And if they keep this anti **** up, I will buy more of them. My wife supports this 100%.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2019, 02:36 PM

This man convinced me I should buy one back around 2012-2013.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 02:41 PM

By all means, get one. Much like a toilet plunger or toaster, everyone should have one. Why the hell not? However, after you've picked one up, then also get an FAL, or M1A, or PTR-91 - or all three. Every man, ahem.... patriot, should have one of each of those as well!!!!!
Old 09-28-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
How many newbies purchased there first new/used ar-15ís?

I been on the fence about buying one for decades, there on the ban list but not sure if I can own one or not?

Got mine!

In 1990.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:28 PM

Prices are very reasonable for good quality AR15s right now. Or you could put one together yourself. They are fun rifles, kind of like legos for adults! Other than the poodle shooter caliber they are very versatile rifles.

There are many other options if the AR15 doesn't appeal to you. I favor AK47s, super cheap 7.62x39 ammo, cheap magazines and excellent reliability and durability.

I prefer Arsenal AK47s, military quality throughout. Very good accuracy also!
Old 09-28-2019, 04:31 PM

My son gave me one for Father's Day, I love it. I came in a kit type and we did the family build, shoots awesome.
Also have a Ruger mini 14 so I am ready for what ever comes my way!!!
Old 09-28-2019, 04:51 PM

Some on here might not admit to one as its a public message board...

But I daresay especially during the Obama Administration almost everyone did. I didn't get one until recently but then again I was rocking the Mini-14 prior.

And given the outflow I've seen at gun shops lately... a LOT more.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:56 PM

Canít own one I waited too long.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 09-28-2019, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Can’t own one I waited too long.
Where do you live? As far as I'm aware you can technically own one in all states, but some have strict laws about what they can look like or have on them so you might be stuck with a "state compliant" one with a funky stock and a fixed magazine. If that's the case, get a Ruger Mini-14. It can do almost as much as an AR can and I'm sure by the time the next ban rolls around it'll be included as well.

By the way I learned that technically AR-15s are still legal in England as well. The difference is that theirs have the gas system removed and they can only function like bolt-actions by yanking the charging handle between each shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverquick View Post
Some on here might not admit to one as its a public message board...
With upwards of 15 million of them in private hands I'd say whoever is keeping track on public message boards has their work cut out for them. It would be easier just to do a reverse IP search of everyone who ever logged onto MagPul's or Brownells' websites.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 09-28-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:20 PM

Never interested in one. 5.56 is a varmint round and not really of Interest. Then they came out with a 300 Blackout and things got interesting.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Canít own one I waited too long.
This statement makes no sense

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 09-28-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
By all means, get one. Much like a toilet plunger or toaster, everyone should have one. Why the hell not? However, after you've picked one up, then also get an FAL, or M1A, or PTR-91 - or all three. Every man, ahem.... patriot, should have one of each of those as well!!!!! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I still need my FAL, I have 30 mags but no gun to use them in!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 09-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400cor-bon View Post
Never interested in one. 5.56 is a varmint round and not really of Interest. Then they came out with a 300 Blackout and things got interesting.
Well they actually make them in multiple calibers these days.

AR10 is the .308 version.

They also come in 6.8 Grendal and 6.9 SPC as well as .300 Blackout.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:48 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
The 300 Whisper has been around for decades. It wasnt until AAC basically copied the caliber, renamed it Blackout and got SAAMI approval.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
This man convinced me I should buy one back around 2012-2013.

That man is going to seem pretty moderate by comparison to the ones vying for the presidency right now if one of them manages to get in. Obama was no friend of gun owners but he didn't really try that hard to go after us. But Harris, Booker, Warren and especially Beto have made it their mission in life to end private gun ownership in this country, starting with AR-15s. I'm sure even Biden and Sanders would like to do so as well, but fortunately they're both so old they would most likely sleep through most of their time in office.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:50 PM

I have owned an AR-15 type rifle for decades. I have loads of fun with them at the range. They are pretty accurate out to 200 yards. The ammo is not very expensive and if you live in one of the free states the 30 round magazines allow for more shooting time between reloading.

My latest AR-type rifle has been one that I assembled and it is in 6.5 Creedmoor caliber. So far I am loving the rifle.

I would think that anyone that likes shooting rifles could really get a lot of enjoyment from owning and shooting an AR-15. Also, there is a bit of enjoyment in purchasing an AR-15 you at least get the feeling that you are pissing off the liberals.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:01 PM

Wink

Quote:
Never interested in one. 5.56 is a varmint round and not really of Interest.

No matter how many people say that, curiously enough, NONE of them, have ever volunteered to step in front of one.

If it's a "varmint" round, surely it shouldn't hurt that much...
Old 09-28-2019, 09:10 PM

I’m 49. I bought a Colt Delta HBar and an Hk93 for myself on my 18th birthday.
For me it was a right of passage I had been looking forward to for a few years prior to that day. From that point on I’ve been selling one to get two or selling two to get one and back and forth. If I still had every gun of that type including the FALs, Galils and others I think I’d need a warehouse to keep em all in.
Now I’m just down to a few. I’m proud and not scared to say that in public.
Come get em Francis...
COTEP#782
Old 09-28-2019, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
No matter how many people say that, curiously enough, NONE of them, have ever volunteered to step in front of one.

If it's a "varmint" round, surely it shouldn't hurt that much...
I think what 400cor-bon meant is that outside of personal defense, target shooting and varmint hunting the 5.56 is limited in its use. In other words it's not that great for hunting medium-sized game and in fact is illegal in some states for that use. Since I don't hunt and only want something for inexpensive recreational shooting it's a great caliber for my uses. However others may prefer rifles with more punch and I respect their decision.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:05 AM

I still have a stack of poverty pony lowers from the Hilary scare, I'm good for now with technically 25 ARs ($40 for 15 of them) so I'm not likely to add any more.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 09-29-2019, 01:40 AM

I'm a newbie. Got mine about a year ago.
Mine is NY compliant. Better than nothing.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2019, 06:04 AM

I am thinking of adding another one ARbor perhaps another AK. I don’t really want or need another one, but I feel the Dems want me too.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:40 AM

They are like Lays potato chips. Once you get one they accumulate.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Well, the parts certainly do. Then the parts accumulate and become complete rifles. Then more parts accumulate. And so on and so on...

Last edited by dsk; 06-26-2020 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling error