Police Issued Guns At The Range - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-08-2019, 07:49 AM

Police Issued Guns At The Range

My friend in MI, whom I’ve known since the mid 70’s, came down to FL for a visit. He’s a USN Vet, retired LEO and is currently active with the Sheriff’s Department. We always have a range day when he visits and he always wears a Navy shirt to the range. He bought this shirt awhile back as a memento to his last USN duty station.

I figured I’d post this in the LEO subforum, since we shot a few of my friend’s police issued handguns. It would be kinda cool if y’all wanted to add some pics of your police issued/marked heaters in this thread.

We did shoot a few of my guns too, which are in the background of the pics. I needed to live fire function test my Lightweight Commander, because I replaced a few critical components. Also needed to live fire test my DDM4LE and my daughter’s AR, because I had to remove and reinstall the muzzle devices, gas blocks and barrels, in order to swap out the handguards.

We started by shooting my friend’s first police issued sidearm, a S&W 10-5. This was by far my favorite of the four handguns. It was accurate, sweet SA & DA trigger pull and just flat out silky smooth.

A few years later, my friend was issued a Glock 22. My least favorite, feels awkward in my hand, no where near as comfortable/ergonomic as today’s Glocks.

About 10 years later, his department switched to S&W M&P 40’s. Big improvement over the G22, but that long trigger pull is annoying and takes some getting used to.

After retiring, my friend signed on with the Sheriff’s Office. He was given a list of pistols that he was authorized to carry. So, he purchased a Sig P226 Gadsden Edition from Mark @ Evolution Armory. This was from Mark’s personal collection and is my friend’s personal favorite, next to his Colt 1911 that he can’t carry on duty.

Since this is a 1911 forum, here’s a pic of my Lightweight Commander that we shot after I did a few mods.

Group pic.

Last edited by US1911; 04-08-2019 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Resized photos
Old 04-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Nice.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Very nice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 06:46 AM

Sounds like a great day. The model 10 is the best of the bunch because of the history. If it could only talk! You have a bunch of history in those photos.

I have commented several times in this forum about my first issue model 15 Smith that my son shoots almost every time he goes to the range with me. Silky smooth action and the deep dark bluing like guns used to have.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:31 AM

Thanks, brought back some memories. I recall being at Detroit’s range right after they got their Glocks (1990ish) and being jealous when the rangemaster showed me his new Glock with the DPD serial number. Guess our department didn’t buy enough to get the special serial number.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 04-09-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM813 View Post
If it could only talk! You have a bunch of history in those photos.
You’re right about that, we sit around for hours swapping sea stories and stories about his time on the streets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Thanks, brought back some memories. I recall being at Detroit’s range right after they got their Glocks (1990ish) and being jealous when the rangemaster showed me his new Glock with the DPD serial number.
Quick thread drift. When my buddy came to visit, we decided to take an airboat ride around the Naval Station, since we’re both former squids, we obviously enjoyed seeing the ships more than our wives did.

Much to our surprise, we made the turn toward the shipyard only to find the USS Detroit in dry-dock, broke-dick just like the city itself. Not surprising though, because the entire LCS fleet is a disservice to the Navy and us taxpayers.

But, we made the best of it and since we’re both from Detroit and my friend was wearing his D hat, the sighting of the USS Detroit presented a picture perfect moment.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:36 PM

Before I retired I carried my personally owned approved for duty use Sig Stainless Elite P229 .40 pistol. I never ever liked to carry their issued guns. I figured that if I ever get suspended or worse yet, terminated, then they would take my badge and credentials, but, not my gun. I also didn't like getting issued a gun that was used by who knows who and abused by those same people. A lot of law enforcement types don't like guns and don't like cleaning them and don't care if they abuse them.

Here is mine. I never really liked .40 or even Sigs, so, when I retired, I sold it and bought a Night Hawk Custom 10mm to carry.

Here it is. I bought some aftermarket magazine extensions for my 14rd .40 magazines giving me 17 rounds in my magazines.

This is my EDC since I retired. 10mm NHC.

[IMG][/IMG]

Back in the early 90's, I was authorized to carry my HK P7M13 and did for two years before they changed the approved hand gun list. It's one of these pictured. It was the most accurate and reliable hand gun that I ever carried throughout my 28 year career.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by INV136; 02-03-2020 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Extra info.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:11 AM

Those DPD Glock 22's are cool. I could kick myself. Back in 2010/2011 ish, a local gun store in the Detroit area I go to often, had for sale 3, Gen 2 Glock's. It was a package deal, brand new guns, a Glock 27, 23 and 22 all with the same Detroit PD markings on the slide.