SR 1911, possibly my first Ruger 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-28-2017, 04:43 PM

SR 1911, possibly my first Ruger 1911

I stopped in the LGS earlier today, just to see what was new. They have a like new SR1911, marked at $600, that really caught my attention. I've never had a stainless gun nor one that just balances so well in the hand from the start. Even as I write this I'm thinking I may run back to town and do some horse trading. I think I may be able to get it for a few dollars less, maybe in the $550 range, if I talk really nice.

I've heard good things about these and thought it might be a good time to add a Ruger to the crew. What are your thoughts? Decent price? My Kimber has bragging rights in the house right now, but this Ruger looks as if it might give it a run for its money.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:05 PM

That is a good price. I LOVE my SR1911.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger SR1911 Model 6700.jpg  
Old 04-28-2017, 08:37 PM

1911LVR, that's what I expected to hear, thanks. Also, THANKS for your service.

The deal was just too good and the gun too nice to let go. No box or docs, but $600, tax, title, license, out the door. I'll call Ruger Monday and see about getting an owners manual, and while I'm at it see about a case. I've already tucked the Ruger grips away for safekeeping. They're in perfect condition and almost orange, so they really pop on the stainless gun. I had a set of black/gray Operators that I installed, and shortly I'll have my Wilson Combat flat trigger in there. I also have a nice Mitch Rosen ARG holster to tuck it in, so beyond that, a WC flat wire recoil setup and a bunch of spare mags is all that's left. I'm thinking a trip to the hillside after work tomorrow is in order.

Pics to follow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2017, 10:11 PM

Congrat.'s on your purchase.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:20 AM

I think I paid 720 for mine new a few years ago and I know they have gone up. 600 seems good for a nice used gun.

I have thousands of rounds through mine
Old 04-29-2017, 02:21 AM

Parts are easy to get....sights not to easy to upgrade though. Mine are still stock.

My trigger has been altered though to about 2.5 lbs.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:32 AM

You can get a "digital" version of the manual here:

http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#pistol
Old 04-29-2017, 06:53 AM

I paid $899 for one a while ago, but with all the major manufactures dropping their paints on pricing it is a buyers market right now.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:08 PM

Good deal on that ruger. My buddy has the 45 and its a good shooter. I myself have the 9mm sr.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:39 PM

Pics as promised. There are certain things I find necessary, so I do them quickly. As I said, I hate seeing beautiful wood ruined as it should be for show , so the G10 Operators have taken their place. Since there is no checkering on the front strap, grip tape has been added, although a WC checkered front strap may take its place at some point. I'm also fond of Wilson Combats' flat triggers and had a spare setting in the parts bin, so it has been installed as well. At some point I may install a round butt MSH and round the frame to match. For me, it increases the comfort of the grip and removes the point of the frame that prints.

I wasn't able to do a lot of shooting after work, but I did pop the spare mag in and shoot those eight rounds into the hillside. Love the weight! Recoil is soft, accuracy is excellent from what I see, and it's fast to come back on target.

Its already made nice with my Kimber.

Last edited by gunsmoke92; 04-30-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:45 AM

I paid $650 for mine 2 years ago. 7K rounds now, but I wouldn't take less than $600 for it today if I sold. Great gun. Congrats
Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe
S&W Model 19
Old 05-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Banned

It's the sleeper of the 1911 world in my opinion! My opinion only! I love my Ruger 1911-CMD version. Balances and shoots very well in my hand!!
Attached Thumbnails
13490864_10100727673992782_7156156460676501759_o.jpg  
Old 05-02-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabum View Post
It's the sleeper of the 1911 world in my opinion! My opinion only! I love my Ruger 1911-CMD version. Balances and shoots very well in my hand!!
I could not agree more. Ruger did several things very well when they designed these guns. They went with the 70 series design, so fewer mechanics and better triggers right out of the box. They kept the slides very clean, no huge billboards, logos laser etched and kept to a tasteful size, and no forward cocking serrations.

Then there's the customer service. I called Ruger yesterday to get an owners manual. I know there's the online version, and in reality I know enough that I really don't need one, but I like having my firearms as complete as possible. The young lady I spoke with was very polite and helpful, saying she would get one out today. I also ask about the boxes they came with and she explained the original boxes were the white cardboard ones. I ask if it was possible to get one as I was one of those folks who like things complete and would be willing to pay for one if they could fix me up. She ask for the serial number, which I gave, and then she explained she would enter an order for a box and would have a label with the serial number and model information printed for it. She said it would add a couple days to the arrival of my manual, but they would send it out, box, manual, and all in the next few days, no charge. What manufacture does that?

Thanks Ruger!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:47 PM

Ruger is as good as their word. I called them on the 1st, package arrived today with a nice white Ruger box and owners manual inside, and as promised correct label on the outside matching all my firearms information.

There may another soon. Another LGS has a full size Talo on consignment for $700, three mags, holster, and box. This is terrible.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:06 PM

(A) The (very) few times I've had to deal with Ruger customer service, they were of Disney caliber. Once sent in a finicky gun that they couldn't find any particular issues with but *based on the symptoms I explained* they decided to swap out a few particular parts (and the gun hasn't malfunctioned since).

(B) Bought one of the Talo models (to wit, the #6715 - black nitride with rail). Out of the box, probably the best 1911 I've purchased. Never even touched the (adjustable) sights. Friggin' laser beam / tack driver. Zero malfunctions - save a single "self-induced" failure to feed (I always like to see how a gun will handle a "limp wrist" just for fun - and once broken in, it doesn't even mind that anymore).

They were seemingly very late to the dance, but they certainly didn't put out a crap gun... I'm a fan.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:41 PM

I've had excellent service any time I contacted Ruger customer service. As far as the SR1911 is concerned I've had three versions and currently have a 9mm and .45ACP Commander sized Ruger. Both are excellent guns, especially at their modest price.

I think the Ruger is the best buy in an entry level 1911.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 PM

They came out in 2011 and were hard to find down here in the SW. I picked one up in the fall of 2012 at an Oktoberfest sale for $599. It has been great and in Jan 2013 I bought the CMD or Commander size one when it came out but it was more like a $680 ouch at the time. Great pistols but I think it is best to look them over before you buy.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke92 View Post
I stopped in the LGS earlier today, just to see what was new. They have a like new SR1911, marked at $600, that really caught my attention. I've never had a stainless gun nor one that just balances so well in the hand from the start. Even as I write this I'm thinking I may run back to town and do some horse trading. I think I may be able to get it for a few dollars less, maybe in the $550 range, if I talk really nice.

I've heard good things about these and thought it might be a good time to add a Ruger to the crew. What are your thoughts? Decent price? My Kimber has bragging rights in the house right now, but this Ruger looks as if it might give it a run for its money.

Love my Sr1911 commander. The only changes I've made is adding Hogue grips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 08:10 AM

Howdy all, Johnny newbie here. I got my new SR1911 (model 6700) 2 days ago. I have two questions so far:

I realize it may be subjective, but is this an entry or mid level 1911? I've heard different gun salesmen say both.

And if a bone-stock SR1911 like mine were put on a Ransom Rest with high quality ammo, what kind of group might it do at 25 yards?

Thanks much in advance! ;-)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:49 AM

All I can share is my own experience -- If my (#6715 Talo) is any indication, they're undervalued by a good amount. "Mid-level" is a nice place to put it, but the thing outperforms most 1911's I've had (yes, including my STI). The fit-n-finish isn't quite up to par with Nighthawk or Baer or anything, but it's a quality gun you should be proud to own. Haven't touched a thing on mine except for grips and a light polish to the throat.

Now at risk of getting laughed at (although my neighbor wouldn't shut up about it) -- This is what mine did at 25 yards with no rest. And I can hardly see 25 yards - I just held center, pulled the trigger and this (hopefully attached photo) is what I ended up with...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2982.JPG  
Old 06-20-2017, 01:58 PM

I recently sold a nearly new 5" stainless Colt that was really purty from 5'. I already had a 6711 but, gosh, that Colt was bound to be more gun...much higher price point and all the history.

Operative word above "sold".
Old 06-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John60169 View Post
All I can share is my own experience -- If my (#6715 Talo) is any indication, they're undervalued by a good amount. "Mid-level" is a nice place to put it, but the thing outperforms most 1911's I've had (yes, including my STI). The fit-n-finish isn't quite up to par with Nighthawk or Baer or anything, but it's a quality gun you should be proud to own. Haven't touched a thing on mine except for grips and a light polish to the throat.

Now at risk of getting laughed at (although my neighbor wouldn't shut up about it) -- This is what mine did at 25 yards with no rest. And I can hardly see 25 yards - I just held center, pulled the trigger and this (hopefully attached photo) is what I ended up with...
Thanks for sharing John, nice little group...
Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 PM

I've never shot an SR1911 but a friend has one and he loves it. The new SR1911 10mm is really tempting me about now.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Finally went to a new indoor range to break in the SR1911 yesterday. My main purpose was to run 500 rounds through it and monitor any feeding/ejection issues, and I did it in 55 minutes. Sigh, that was some work. I was using Independence Aluminum cased ammo, since it was economical via WalMart. I must have had about 20 feed issues where it was stuck 1/2 way up the ramp. Not one single ejection issue - (like my Walther Creed where the extractor ripped past the lip with the aluminum cases). Unfortunately, I have 400 rounds of this stuff left at home. I think I'll switch to some economy BRASS ammo. Any suggestions? e.g., PMC, Blazer Brass, Magtech, Sellier & Bellot etc?
Old 07-08-2017, 01:40 PM

I still have to shoot my new SR1911CMD, just not enough time. So far I am happy with it, but that does not mean much until I shoot it. I agree that Ruger seems to be doing this one right, unlike their other center fire autos.

Stay alert, trust no one, keep your weapons handy.