1911Forum banner

STI Spartan 9mm review

13K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  dolphmiller 
#1 ·
I recently found a good deal on 9mm Spartans by STI. These are basic enhanced 1911's (beavertail, Bomar style sights, fiber optic front sight, etc...) that are made with Rock Island Armory frames, slides and barrels. The small parts are all STI. I used to have an STI Trojan in 9mm and currently own an STI VIP in 9mm so I am fully aware of their reliability in 9mm. The only apprehension I felt was due to the fact that unlike most STI's in 9mm these don't have ramped barrels. I found this to be a non issue once I fired the gun.

This 1911 is super tight. There is no play in the slide to frame fit or barrel lock-up. The trigger breaks cleanly at 5lbs and overtravel is set at the factory. The gun comes with one Metalform 9 round magazine that works perfectly. It also has a full length guide rod which was promptly removed. The gun has a nice parkerzied black finish, wood grips (had wood grips), and a plastic MSH. I have replaced the grips with VZ diamonds, added some grip tape, replaced the grip screws, replaced the FLGR w/ a traditional Wilson Bullet Proof set up, and have ordered a new Wilson extended mag release and EGW MSH/magwell.

On her first trip out she did not skip a beat. there were no failures of any kind. The sights were perfectly dialed in from the factory. I was able to get constant tight groups at 10 and 15 yards. IMHO for under $600 the STI Spartan 9mm cannot be beat.

next to my latest other 1911 purchase...

first magazine at 10 yards unsuported

target brought out to 15 yards for 50 rounds

See less See more
#6 ·
I had erratic ejection issues with my spartan 9 right out of the box. Im still working through the issue but I ended up having to install an extended ejector from Dawson precision. It is accurate and offers some nice features for a sub 600 dollar gun, but I find the finish on the frame lacking. Overall Im happy with my purchase as well.

Edit- I thought the only armscor part was the frame? I thought the slide was an STI part?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.