1911Forum banner

AG’s in 16 States Embrace Background Checks On Ammo Purchases

3K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  BrokenGrunt 
#1 ·
If you live in Illinois, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, or Washington you should know that your attorney general has given the green light for your state legislature to implement California-style ammunition control if they want.
https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2020/06/24/ags-states-checks-ammo-purchases

#3 ·
Scary times are coming.

#5 ·
You know, with all that’s going on right now in our country, you’d think these state AGs would be busy with more important stuff, like prosecuting rioters and looters.......
Jeez............

#28 ·
In those states, the AG, Governors, and city Mayors all think the rioters and looters are operating within their rights, no matter how many innocents are injured, displaced, lose their businesses, or worse. I wouldn’t hold my breath on any prosecutions.

Perhaps if they’d get the guns out of the hands of their local criminals and quit putting the most dangerous thugs back on the streets within hours after arrest, they could apply themselves to real legislation, not low hanging fruit that only affects law-abiding citizens. Do they really think crips/bloods/gang name of your choice strolls into bass pro or even a reputable gun store to buy their ammo? Oh wait! Of course they do!

#6 · (Edited)
They have been threatening this in most lefty state for several years now...In NJ it passed the assembly in 2018 (when we went Lefty in the Gov-office), but the state senate didn't do anything with it (so far anyway). We protested sent letters and e-mails and called. Did this have an effect? Who knows. It may be that they just couldn't fine an easy way to implement it...CA already has this policy I believe. Not sure how it can be held up in the courts, but our courts are corrupt, so...Need an update from a CA resident, I recall the NRA filed a law suite a few years ago.

We are in a world of **** if the Lefty Takes all branches, by-by 2A (and all our other rights too). POTUS warns about this in every speech (and calls out 2A explicitly).

#9 ·
I thank God every day that I was able to leave Oregon in 2014. Texas is a much happier place.

There's a long list of things I loved about the PNW. But the list of dislikes was 3x as long.

#20 ·
Yes, that was part of FOPA

Part of my job in the late '70s was, not background checks, but ID'ing every purchaser of ammunition into a log book. To absolutely no purpose except discourage small-time ammunition vendors: extra labor for each ammunition sale; long delays for any customers in line for the register - attendant loss of sales from those who give up in disgust. According to usually reliable sources, for the 16yrs that practice was in effect: not one crime solved by use of the log books.
\ -;

#14 · (Edited)
IIRC, The NICS system is only to be used for firearm purchase background checks and is legally prohibited from being used for anything else. Since it is a federal system, it would take Congressional action to change or rescind that stipulation.

This means that all the states that want to implement these background checks would have to construct, populate and support an entirely new database for ammunition checks. A costly undertaking. Hopefully the state's taxpayers won't sit still for that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

#19 ·
IIRC, The NICS system is only to be used for firearm purchase background checks and is legally prohibited from being used for anything else. Since it is a federal system, it would take Congressional action to change or rescind that stipulation.

This means that all the states that want to implement these background checks would have to construct, populate and support an entirely new database for ammunition checks. A costly undertaking. Hopefully the state's taxpayers won't sit still for that.
Not only that, but what good is a state background check when a person can simply drive to the state next door to buy their ammo? Answer: it's irrelevant. Anything to make things hard for legal gun owners is a win in their book. Curbing crime isn't the idea. Curbing gun ownership is.

#15 ·
We can do those but not until they are done before people can talk and express their freedom of speech each and every time they want to open their mouths.

Michigan’s AG makes the governor seem like a conservative, she is that bad.

#17 ·
This is just one reason George Soros' group invested big money on backing " his " picks for Attorney Generals across the USA. The one person who OK's enforcement of any laws in the state, legal or illegal. Have these AG's come out in favor of Sanctuary Cities and " mail in ballots "? If so, you know they are against the citizens of the United States. Treason from within.. The democrats do it all the time and they are damned good at it.

#25 ·
I hear Bubba has one he no longer needs.

#29 ·
FYI...litigation is already in process on this on the California law in the 9th Circuit...Rhodes v Becerra. Judge Benitez initially found the law unconstitutional and wrote a fairly scathing decision that is long but well worth the read. Becerra initially asked for a stay so they could have time to appeal and Judge Benitez told them to pound sand. Becerra then appealed to the 9th and they granted a temporary stay and that's where it sits currently, waiting for the appeals process to play out.

You can read more and find links to the decisions at the Calguns linky below. :)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1443673

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.