1911Forum banner

Value of Series 70 MarkIV 45 in nickel finish

12K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  1903a3spring 
#1 ·
Wondered if anyone could give me a value on this? Probably from the 70's or 80's with some minor wear on the slide from a polishing job and has an accurizing kit installed. Thanks

#2 ·
Going by your limited description, about $400 since it has been screwed with. We'd need to see pictures to say if it's worth more despite the modifications.

#3 ·
If it still is reliable, I would place a higher value on it than DSK did. With gas at $3.50 per gallon and a loaf of rye bread at $4.00, $1000 for a Series '70 is less inflation for the Colt than on gasoline and groceries. A new Series '70 can be found for around $900, so I figure the value of a reliable, decent-looking gun is in the $800 to $1000 range.

If not reliable, it is worth the value of the parts, especially to someone who has a nickel Series '70. The mods may also lower the value, especially if not well done.

#7 ·
If it still is reliable, I would place a higher value on it than DSK did.
My figure came from the fact that without pictures we really don't know the true condition of the firearm. With a "polishing job" on the nickel finish and an "accurizing kit" installed I'd have to see what we're dealing with first.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can get some pics down the road. It is well cared for and works fine but I think the spring is too light because it takes no effort to rack the slide and every case that is ejected gets dinged. My friend is interested in one of the new Taurus or S&W revolvers that fire the 45 acp, 45 LC, 454 casull and 410 and it would be nice to have a good idea of what to expect from a trade to a dealer.

#5 ·
The dinging of the cases is normal for a small ejection ported 1911. Condition of the finish and degree of modification are key. The finish might possibly be returned to near as-issued depending on what's been done. The satin nickel original finish is highly undesireable (in my opinion as a proud owner of a sn CC) but it's the mods that would be key. Could be as low as the $400 noted, but hopefully could be higher. Gotta have pictures.

#8 ·
True, pictures will help set a value, but a stripped Series '70 frame, slide, and a few small parts are worth $400. A Series '70 barrel and bushing, assuming they have not been bubba-smithed are worth at least $100.

I am constantly amazed by how good Colt barrels are if a bushing is properly fit to the slide and barrel. The Accurizor combo on the Series '70 creates the fit. Before the rain came in this weekend, I shot some fifty-yard groups with a buddy's nickel Series '70 before a match, and the limiting factors were my eyes and the sights. It could use some work to make a proper Bullseye trigger, but it is a shooter. We put it in the club's Ransom Rest, and the darn gun shot one ten-shot, two-inch groups with my Bullseye load. Two other groups went into less than three inches. I am now trying to trade into the gun. He wants both of my Glock 37s for the Series '70, and I might just make the trade as I can always buy more Glock 37s.

I would not let cosmetics sway me from a mechanically sounds Series '70.

#11 ·
Value of Series 70 Mark IV 45 in nickel finish

New here so please excuse me if I step on toes, but I was following the thread. I see that it is fairly recent, at least earlier this month.

I also have a Mark IV Series 70 nickle plated "Government Model" in 0.45 ACP. The suffix S/N is a G70, which places it in the 1976 to 1980 makes. It has the collett barrel bushing -had to get a bushing wrench just to turn the thing to disassemble.

I am not a good shot with a pistol, but at 50' it groups 5 in about 8" a little low (1 - 2") and to the left and to the left (3" - 4"). Most likely me more so than the weapon. I am trying to get an estimated value.

I am attaching photos. I am looking to give myself a good deal as-well-as the buyer. I really am not looking for a buyer who will get a GREAT DEAL while I get hosed.

Also, I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas Area.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

DocPeter

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
New here so please excuse me if I step on toes, but I was following the thread. I see that it is fairly recent, at least earlier this month.

Yeah I'd give 4 maybe 4 and a half for that pistol.

I also have a Mark IV Series 70 nickle plated "Government Model" in 0.45 ACP. The suffix S/N is a G70, which places it in the 1976 to 1980 makes. It has the collett barrel bushing -had to get a bushing wrench just to turn the thing to disassemble.

I am not a good shot with a pistol, but at 50' it groups 5 in about 8" a little low (1 - 2") and to the left and to the left (3" - 4"). Most likely me more so than the weapon. I am trying to get an estimated value.

I am attaching photos. I am looking to give myself a good deal as-well-as the buyer. I really am not looking for a buyer who will get a GREAT DEAL while I get hosed.

Also, I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas Area.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

DocPeter
When you remove the barrel bushing on a series 70, push the slide back about 3/4" or so then turn the bushing. You may still have to use a wrench but if you don't push the slide back a bit you can damage the collett style bushing. Notice that the barrel diameter is larger at the muzzle (about the first 3/4") than the rest of the barrel.

#13 ·
DocPeter,

Your nickel Series '70 serial number is less than 600 higher than the one I just acquired. I am into it for close to a $1,000, and I am happy with the price I paid. Good Series '70 guns are seldom seen in my neck of the woods, so one pays the price or someone else does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.