1911Forum banner

GI guide rod in 108282?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  epj 
#1 ·
I have a S&W SW1911 5" .45 ACP (108282), and I want to change the FLGR to a GI setup. I've ordered the Ed Brown plug and GI guide rod; before I go ahead, I would like to know if anyone else has made this change, and if so, how did it work for you? Did you also replace the recoil spring?

I've had no issues with the FLGR...I just prefer the GI guide rod for field strip.

#2 ·
I went ahead and put in the GI guide rod. It went in nice and easy...and the slide racks easily. I haven't had a chance to go fire it yet.

On a completely unrelated note, the recoil spring is very stout on these models, and if you let the plug get away from you, you will have a circular indention in your ceiling. :dope:

#6 ·
I swapped out the FLGR setup with an Ed Brown plug and guide rod almost immediately when I first got my 108284. I just prefer the traditional setup over FLGRs.

One thing I've found though, the Ed Brown guide rod is slightly oversized and rubbed a little bit during operation. It was not enough to cause a problem, however slide operation was just not as smooth as with the factory FLGR. You could actually hear and feel it. Swapping out the Ed Brown guide rod with a Colt one solved the problem.

My 108284 has been running with the Brown plug and Colt guide rod ever since.

#9 ·
One thing I've found though, the Ed Brown guide rod is slightly oversized and rubbed a little bit during operation. It was not enough to cause a problem, however slide operation was just not as smooth as with the factory FLGR. You could actually hear and feel it. Swapping out the Ed Brown guide rod with a Colt one solved the problem.
Hmmm...I have an Ed Brown GI guide rod in my SW1911 "e" and I haven't noticed it rubbing or any other problems. In fact, I have used Ed Brown parts for all my 1911s, and so far haven't had any issues.

I guess it just goes to show that can all be a little different! ;)

#8 ·
I did the same with a Baer guide and 10-8 cap. I had to fit the cap just a bit because it was over long ti depress enough from the bushing to pass over. Since then I put those in my Springfield TRPand now have an Ed Brown guide anf Wilson Bulletproof cap in the SW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.