1911Forum banner

Hi Power Identification - Chrome or Nickel?

10K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  logan5 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm brand new to the world of Hi Powers and eager to learn!

I've looked at them enough and heard enough outstanding things about Hi Power's in general that I knew that I wanted one and in a week moment, got star-struck and purchased one in 9mm! (It's not even home yet) I'm really anxious to start learning about it.

From the pictures of it below......what model HP is this? (I've heard the phrases: Mark III and Practical before....is mine either of these?)

What finish is it actually? It was advertised as being nickel, however I've also seen similar HP's advertised as being "Hard Chrome".

Is there any way from the serial number, to determine how old it is?

I love the adjustable sights....were they an option?

Thanks in advance for any education!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Oldiron1,

From the photo, if I read the serial code correctly as being NX, you appear to have a 1993 Silver Chrome Hi Power. The Silver (hard) Chrome Hi Powers are generally seen with adjustable sights of various type, usually Millett or LPA sights. Yours appear to be Milletts.

The Silver Chrome Hi Powers are highly regarded and are somewhat harder to find.
Although available from FN in Europe, Browning has not imported Silver Chrome or Practical (two tone)Hi Powers for several years.

Good Luck!

#4 ·
Thanks Guys, very much!! I really appreciate the information and the brief history.

Yep, the Serial number is 245NX69869, so it looks to be a 1993 production pistol.

I'm glad to learn that the finish is the Silver (Hard) Chrome and that it's a desirable pistol. How durable is this finish?

Newbie question, so I apologize in advance, however outside of the finish, how does my new pistol differ from a Mark II or Mark III? (Or is it also considered either of the two?)

Thanks again!!

#7 ·
Your pistol is considered a version of the MkIII, the only difference in '93 would be the "Silver (Hard) Chrome" finish and gold wash trigger vs. blue. FN designated it by Model Code 3055, the identical pistol in blue would be Model Code 3054. Mr. Burgs is...of course, correct as to identification as well as the the sights.

#5 ·
Your hard chrome finish is a very durable finish. In fact, many people have their handguns refinished in hard chrome just for that reason. Congrats!! You did good for your first BHP. I must warn you though. one BHP leads to two, then three.....you get the point. Break it down(field strip it), clean and lube it well, and head for the range. It will put a smile on your face.

#6 ·
Hard chrome is very durable and has excellent corrosion resistance. Cleaning it (the exterior, anyway) is as simple as wiping it with a cloth. You have gotten a great first HiPower, now your task is to learn to shoot it until it is second nature. Best of luck!

#9 ·
Thanks again Guys!!

I appreciate the education and the kind words. I'm just anxious to get it home now, clean it and get a few rounds through it.

I have a couple more questions now as I've been reading more and more:

1. When/how long was this Silver Chrome model made/imported into the US?

2. Besides the finish, what differences are there, if any between my Silver Chrome model and the "Practical" model which looks like it has very similar features although I've seen them with both fixed and adjustable sights?

3. I've read that a common thing folks do with their BHP's, is remove the Mag Disconnect....by doing this, will the trigger pull be greatly reduced?

Thanks again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.