1911Forum banner

LW 3" .45...ATI Titan w/upgrades vs Kimber Ultra

18K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  goyena70 
#1 ·
So-

looking for my next compact 1911 .45. for every day carry.

Two options- both for the same money in the end, (which I can get) which would you pick?

ATI Titan FX45 Lightweight- replace all springs with Wolf Service Pack. Undercut trigger guard. Bevel edges. Install thin bushings and grips. Replace ambi-safety with single. Cerakote finish. -All of this work I can do myself.

Kimber Ultra Carry II- leave stock

I don't like the Kimber firing pin safety, which is my thinking about building the ATI the way I want. Plus, both the Kimber and the ATI use MIM internals, so as far as the parts go, I'd say things are pretty close. Both have their share of complaints and problems too...

Any real reason to buy a Kimber over modding the ATI into what I want?

#7 ·
Can't go wrong with Kimber but I cheaped out and got the ss titan. I read all of the posts here related to the guide rod and spring assemblies prior to buying this gun and took the gamble anyway thinking I could easily replace the guide rod assy etc. Post inspection on mine, compared to the photos on the other page, mine has an entirely different assy in it. It doesn't have a heavy a spring as the Colt but the rest of it looks pretty substantial. Only fifty rounds through so far and only one ftf but that was prior to my taper crimping the brass post reloading. The spring is closed on both ends also? I don't regret buying this gun at all, actually pretty happy with it for the money. Compared to my Sig 1911 Extreme, performance is comparable but in a smaller package.

#13 ·
I keep hearing about the Kimber firing pin safety. After owning one and carefully looking at how it operates, can anyone please tell me what the concerns are?

Thanks,
Rusty Bolts

#18 ·
I own an ATI Titan FX-45 stainless steel. Have a couple thousand rounds through mine with no problems. I did change out the recoil spring with that of the Colt Defender but that was only because the original was a PITA to remove.

No problem carrying this as my EDC.

#21 ·
I don't like the Kimber firing pin safety, which is my thinking about building the ATI the way I want.
So you don't like the Kimber firing pin safety although you have no experience with Kimbers?

Plus, both the Kimber and the ATI use MIM internals, so as far as the parts go, I'd say things are pretty close. Both have their share of complaints and problems too...
Have you have any experience with failed MIM parts?
If the you believe that the two guns have the same "parts" than why pay more for the ATI?

#22 ·
ATI fx 1911 Titan What I experienced

After reading a couple of negative issues about this pistol I decided to go and shoot mine which I have had for a week now. I used Federal ball amo 230gr.
on the first issued mag I experienced a failure to feed, reloaded and tried again. Another failure to feed. So I switched mags and used the Mc Cormick
mag. I shot 86 more rounds without a failure. So, the ACT MAG that came with the gun is now resting at the bottom of my trash can. So now I am trying to decided weather or not to swap out the recoil spring and rod assembly, I know,
if it aint broke dont fix it. I will get the Kimber Ultra recoil spring assy and just keep it in my bag until the stock one fails. Shooting this gun was a nice experience. The accuracy at 30 ft was outstanding. Bottom line, I am glad I got the gun and paid under $400 for it out the door. I love a god deal!!!

#23 · (Edited)
Ati fx

I happen to have my ATI Tactical Titan right beside me. Other than the thin finish, and a few not so round edges, the only real problem was the "recoil assy". I replaced that with the Colt unit. Been happy ever since. Wait! I replaced the ejector. That was about two years ago, and I haven't had any more trouble. Linda sits right beside me. I shoot her in the club "tactical" competitions also. Never failed. I like it. I can see why folks say they have a favorite gun. She does gets a bit of attention. I'm gonna replace the sights with a set of Trijicon's when the chance permits. They are much easier to pick up day or night.

PS
I shoot the PSI-Act mags. They seem to be just fine. None have failed me yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.