1911Forum banner

Whole home generators

22K views 143 replies 71 participants last post by  1911crazy 
#1 ·
Thinking of getting one. People that have them. What brand and size did you get.

#2 ·
Not to dissuade you but the only person I know that has one has had mixed results concerning dependability. It has failed to fire a couple of times. The point of paying all that money is having power when your electricity goes out and since it doesn't happen that often even one failure is bad.

The only advice I can give is do some objective research and don't assume what the salesman tells you is the entire story.

#3 · (Edited)
We don't have a whole home generator but do have a generator that will run our 220v well pump (toilets and livestock water), some lights, and our pellet stove for heat.

Getting into emergency generator use and the wiring can be a bit involved.

Our generator is a Honda 6500w Industrial. It serves our needs. There are much quieter Honda's. Believe me, after listening to this generator for a week, quite becomes pretty important.

There are generators that can run computers and TV's and generators that can not. Priced accordingly. A week without Internet and TV makes for a grumpy family.

#4 ·
I have a 13,KW power take off gen set.

It runs off of my Kubota tractor. It runs my whole house quite efficiently at about one point two gallons of diesel per hour. It was not all that expensive to buy and it runs like a top. I would highly recommend one to anyone that owns a tractor. Proper wiring is of course a must.

We looked at Generac standby propane generators. Very expensive to buy and install. Very inefficient, and expensive to maintain. Sales hype is one thing facts are another.

#5 ·
I also have a Kubota tractor. Unfortunately when these storms come through I can not have the tractor attached to a generator and still use this tractor to clear trees felled by these storms at the same time. That is why we have a portable generator. If one has two or more Kubota tractors then please disregard this post.

#7 ·
I see where you are coming from.

But fallen trees are not usually an issue where I live. I prefer to get the power back up. And then if there is a fallen tree to deal with. We will get to it when we can.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a Perkins (Caterpillar) 21KW diesel generator from Hardy Diesel. Actually, the Diesel engine is a Perkins, the generator attached to it is an Italian Mecc-Alte.

It would qualify as a primary power generator.

It is paired with three, 7 KW, SMA inverters in an off-grid configuration, and has been a heck of a reliable workhorse (knock on wood).

If wired to a grid-tied home, one shouldn’t need the inverters.

#8 ·
I’ve been using a 9500 w portable gen with electric start and has done the job for keeping well, boiler, stove etc, basically everything except my central air. Having enough gas filled cans and the noise and inconvenience is a bit of a PIA, but the power companies have improved somewhat and gotten their acts together.
Cost was about 8-900$.
Generac is the most popular around here for whole house setups but I never could justify the $10-12k to do it. I wouldn’t mind not having to roll out the portable, and it would be a decent resale feature, but it’s cost prohibitive imho, at least for me.

#9 · (Edited)
We have a dual fuel (LP/gas) portable generator which I can roll into place easily when the need arises. It will provide sufficient power for the well pump & house circuits. I considered using a whole house stationary system like Generac, but considering I haven't used the portable generator at all (except to test) I think I'm ahead of the game $$$ wise. P.S. I also had a licensed electrician add the lock switch, separate breaker and appropriate plug & box for it.

#10 ·
I went 10 kw portable with house breaker panel wired with appropriate plug. I had a licensed electrician do the work. I can run everything including A/C or heat. I cannot run the A/C and other 220 at the same time, but we can operate with that limitation. I wanted the off property option...but it is heavy. We have used it 3 times. 2 brief (3-4 hour) ice events and one summer A/C, 25 hour event (it was 100 daytime degrees outside), that event justified the breaker wiring cost! I now consider back-up power a NO-GO item.

#73 · (Edited)
This right here I have the same or similar unit works great have been using it for about 15 years.. It has failed to start during its once a week test 3-4 times do to needing the battery replaced but thats about it.. I have heard the new generacs arent as reliable as the older units but have no experience with them..

#12 ·
Mine is an automatic 7kw system that powers the well, heating plant, refrigerator and some of the lights. It is hooked to our main 500 gallon propane tank. Stove top is gas so when the power goes out the generator comes on we are not really inconvenienced. Cost about $7,000. Well worth it for peace of mind when I'm away for extended periods of time in the winter.

#46 · (Edited)
Generac also, natural gas...OP, It is like everything else and analogous to insurance...Hope you don't need it, but if you do, you'll be glad you have it...No big deal for a few hour outage, but during the Sandy Hurricane some people around here lost their electric power for several weeks.

I pay for annual maintenance but you can do it yourself (oil/filter/spark-P/etc.). Only other items I've had is the battery replacement, they don't last too long.

I'd say it is expensive, but think of what many of us on this Forum spend on custom guns, and re-frame your view of expensive :).

#14 ·
It is a given that people will prefer different options.

Both according to needs and budget. My wife and I looked at the Generac route. Sure the automatic switch on is a really nice feature. But there were other considerations that we looked at as well. In addition to things that I mentioned in an earlier post.

The fuel efficiency of the propane generators is ridiculous. At the time when we were figuring out which way we were going to go. We determined that we could keep our house up and running, using everything in the house at the same time if wanted for about three bucks worth of diesel (Off road) per hour. A similar propane powered generator would cost about ten bucks worth of propane to run for an hour. That was a couple of years ago. But the cost evaluation is similar for current fuel prices. This was and is a big consideration for me.

#15 · (Edited)
I went with a GE 13K plumbed into the natural gas line. Comes on automagically, it has a 50 amp load shedding switch hooked up to the a/c but it's never kicked in. It runs my whole panel, we have a pump on the well and the septic so it's kind of important to keep the septic tank flowing. I'm only 2 miles from the largest gas storage facility in the NW, it's honeycombed under some local hills. There are many folks in the area collecting royalties from wells on their properties. Unfortunately the attempt to drill gas on my property only resulted in what they call fizzy water but I have a 16" and a 24" main on my property along the hwy. NG is cheap and abundant around here and is always flowing.
I had the gennie planned into the house when built, it's almost 6 years old, comes on weekly to exercise and has never needed anything other than an oil change. I had it professionally wired in. The cost wasn't too bad considering it was a new build, I bought the generator (~$4k), the electrician wired it in and the gas guys plumbed a line to it. I wasn't charged for the concrete slab or installation. I had it running for 5 days straight one time, not a problem.

#16 ·
I'll step in on this topic. I have had a Generac 17kw for over 12 years now. It's the typical wired into the house circuit and propane 200gal tank. It has never failed us yet. The unit self starts and runs each week to test and charge the battery. We have run it 3weeks 24/7 during a Hurricane strike (actually 2 hurricanes) the first was only 2 weeks run time. It is able to completely run all of the house appliances and A/C central heat and air. Total convenience and certainly makes life easier. We know when there is a blackout when the lights go out for 45 seconds and the generator kicks in. BTW this is the best $5000 I ever spent, and if I ever move...the generator is going with me.

#18 ·
Size depends on your needs, do you want to run electric stove? Electric hot water heater? A/C? Electric dryer?

We put a Generac 22kW on my parent's house several years ago, propane which they already had. We oversized, mainly because the cost increase for the larger unit was relatively insignificant. Never failed and been happy with the investment. My father needs it for an O2 concentrator, without it he wouldn't survive. It was therefore considered a medical necessity and tax deductible for them. They run whatever they want during an outage.

And it adds value to the property.

#19 ·
I'm thinking about a whole house/natural gas but my neighbor got one five years ago and the power hasn't failed yet for more than an hour. Of course, we're in hurricane country as well as ice storms, tornados, big snows and basically everything else, and the power has gone out here for multiple days in the winter and summer, one time each since moving here in 1994. However, since then, the power company has done a lot of work in the right-of-ways and the power has been boringly reliable - ever since Bill spent $10K on the generator. :) I thank him all the time for stepping up and making that sacrifice. Also, all power within the development is underground so any disruption has to be caused off-site.
Then my wife started bugging me about getting one. I was all for it at first, but now I'm thinking of all the other projects I can use that money on that will be of immediate benefit rather than waiting for the blackout that might not come. For example, we have really good groundwater here although we're all on municipal water and sewer. I'd like to put in a well to supply an irrigation system which would make all the difference in the world for the lawn - I can get an irrigation meter but the water bill can get high in the summer, and in a drought they put on water restrictions. The asphalt driveway needs to be redone - get my drift? But as sure as I don't put in the generator, the damn power will go out for a week and I'll never hear the end of it. :(

#20 ·
Using 10KW portable gas generator now that keeps everything powered, inc 2 HVAC systems.

For auto whole house solution, I don't like the idea of single natural gas pipeline supply should the supply be cut off. If the house is serviced by natural gas, I'd rather have the backup fueled by a propane tank or diesel.

#21 ·
I’m thinking about a diesel 10,000 k welder/generator. Install another oil tank for the diesel.
Serves two purposes.

I have a 4K welder generator now and a 3500 generator. The 3500 runs my keurig coffee maker while the 4K generator runs the freezer. We lost power over seven days once. I heat with wood and oil boiler.

#22 ·
The lady down the street has a 20 KW Generac.

With her 500 gallon propane tank which can only be filled to 400 gallons. If she starts out with a full tank she can run for four days, and then she is out of business. I keep enough diesel around to run for weeks.

#23 ·
If you have the money go for a liquid cooled model. They typically run at 1/2 speed as an air cooled 17-1800rpm), they use less fuel, run cleaner, need less maintenance, are much quieter and will last a lot longer.

All that said they’ll be 2X the price. I’ve been researching them for a long time. I think this’ll be the year I get a 24k-27k liquid cooled natural gas unit (I live inner city).

#96 · (Edited)
And a relatively low rpm diesel engine if you can get one!

Do not forget that diesel fuel will support microbial growth on the meniscus of any water that collects at the bottom of the tank so for long term fuel storage a sump drain, anti-fungal and flow additives if you live in a cold climate are necessary.

I like the tractor idea, I may need to look into that-the power can be shut down for a bit to drag a tree off if required. Probably going to have to work on any tree with the chain saw for a bit before it can be shoved out of the way anyhow...

#26 ·
Made it through more than one hurricane down on the gulf coast with a simple 4000 watt gas generator. Last one I was there for we were without power for 12 days. Ran the freezer and other items during the day. Had a window unit in the bedroom and ran it at night with some light and TV. We survived just fine and slept well in the muggy south. One tank of fuel lasted about 7 hours. Stocked up on fuel in advance so no issues there. Never felt the need to spend big bucks for something to be used maybe once every few years. I guess if it is a common occurrence to be without power then it would be worth it.

#27 ·
When I retired about 25% of my neighbors including me bought generators. Most if not all are Generac 20 or 22KW. A local farm coop stocks them along with filters and minor parts.

I considered several options and the Generac running on Natural gas won out. I have a diesel tractor and considered a PTO driven generator. But I didn't want the work involved to connect it evertime that we needed it. I also didn't want to deal with hauling diesel fuel. I considered a larger diesel generator but that takes me back to hauling or ordering fuel.

A few of us have had some trouble with Generac. Mine had a bad control board right out of the crate. It was replaced under warranty. The first time it started it threw a rod. Again it was repaired under warranty. It seems like they built them really fast and depended on the service guys to fix them. After this it has been dependable for a few years now.

The 22KW runs my entire all electric home. We do exercise a little judgement and try to manage the load. That is, we don't cook, wash dishes, wash and dry clothes, ect all at the same time. But the generator will do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.