1911Forum banner

Would you rather have a new today's...

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  jst1mortym 
#1 ·
tricked out CQB Elite or a Supergrade that's 10 years old with less than 100 rounds? And knowing that SG orders are months and months out how long is the build on an Elite supposed to take??

#8 ·
The round count may well be accurate, as many Supergrade owners are more interested in collecting than shooting and/or they tend to have other 1911s for range purposes. The question in my mind is whether or not an older SG is going to be a better (define "better" however you like) pistol than a contemporary CQB Elite.

WCR has long been insistent that the company has never made better 1911s than they are making right now, and although I have approached that statement with a certain skepticism, the more I am able to compare older and newer models (i.e. side by side), the more convinced I am that there is something to it. Even like pistols separated by a span of five or six years can show some of these differences, and while they are often subtle, a shooter that is familiar with the guns can tell one from the other.

Would a contemporary CQB prove the equal of yesterday's Supergrade? Obviously, I could never say for certain without having both in hand, but I would be willing to bed that they are quite a bit more alike than their price tags would seem to suggest.

I'd order a new CQB built to your specifications. There will always be tempting deals out there on used Wilsons (Supergrades included), but when you factor in the price of admission, the opportunity to order exactly what you want in a new gun just doesn't come around that often.

AC

#9 ·
Ten more years of experience 10 more years of better parts. Seems like a no brainer that a CQB Elite would be the way to go. It won't say Supergrade on it and the real mystery is today being so much busier than they were 10 years ago do we have more of a quanity versus quality than we did then. I like the idea of customizing an Elite to exactly the way I want it anyway. Waiting on another Supergrade in combo with the price increase has bout done me in with the SGs for the moment anyway.

#10 ·
CQB Elite seems to be a wiser choice imo. Though my post is based on from past threads where it seems that you mentioned already having a few SG's, or have a few already ordered, if memory serves me. Is ordering for an CQB Elite going to be any quicker than a SG? Knowing that Wilson takes extreme care in their builds I wouldn't expect that much of a time difference....Now the price increase is another matter.

#11 ·
I have had one (SG) ordered since Nixon was in office and the other one for a couple months. My goal was to have three SGs (traded several guns, had some gun money built up) but after the latest SG price increase I think it will be fun to just max out a CQB Elite for my third and final Wilson. Then I can think about something else besides Wilson Combat for awhile. My stainless and blue full size has been ordered since July last year. JULY.

#14 ·
I think it will be fun to just max out a CQB Elite for my third and final Wilson. My stainless and blue full size has been ordered since July last year. JULY.
Good choice! Is the stainless and blue you mention is a SG? I ordered one in mid March and I think it will be the charcoal blued as GioBella mentions, but not 100% on that. I feel great just to get my hands on one, but if I had the money having a couple would be super :rock:

#12 ·
I feel your pain Hogs,

Although I only waited 20 weeks for my last Supergrade, this years addition will be at "least" a year with the Turnbull chacoal finish, but the wait is well worth it when you sight these babies in at the range!
I've been waiting on almost 6 months for a pair of Cocobolo starburst grips for my last Wilson build a Ms. Sentinel. So a year wait for a masterpiece I can do standing on my head.

Gio

#16 ·
I'm still keeping up my composure, though underneath it all I'm naturally excited. I know that the wait is long but will be ultimately worth it! This will be my first 1911 with a blued slide, really looking forward to it knowing that in the longer run it would wear a tad quicker...I'm a fan of a well worn patina looking pistol, they exude a "shooters pistol" well used, broken-in, accurate, side arm, especially when all that honest wear is from you :rock:

If I had anything that I would change in my order at this point in the build...I'd have requested a gold bead up front. No big deal though as it's something I can later add...

Hogs, if and when you get yours, please post lots of pics, I'll be needing them at that time to keep my pump primed :biglaugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.