1911Forum - View Single Post - Who's laughing now ?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 07:22 PM

When currency was backed by metals, the latter was a benchmark, a constant- slightly inflationary, but stable.
They have since changed to a commodity, rather than a benchmark standard.... but will alwan have value.
Cash currency is great- until the faith in the government issues it falters. Trade goods- canned beans, TP, ammunition- have no fixed or intrinsic value. Theyre consumables. There value is time and individually dependent. Most here remember a time when 5.56mm ball-if you could find it- was going for $1 a round....

Commodities fluctuate. The mostly commonly used and variable is probably gasoline. I remembered $0.70/gallon unleaded. I also remember $4/gallon in NC. Its about $1.80 now- exceptionally low. Mid $2s is the current normal...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams