1911Forum - View Single Post - Food storage
Thread: Food storage
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Canning is another method- i wasn't sure whether to go down that rabbit hole here.. .

I can soups and stocks- haven't really explored much beyond that... one thin that I do for soups to be canned is make the broth at about a 2x strength. This allows 1pt of soup to be cut with 1pt of water, and the addition of a handful of pasta, or a bit of roux for a stew- you can't home can flour and pasta "safely", and I shy away from home experiments which may result i botulism. I really should live a little, try a batch, and see what happens.... In all seriousness, home canning can kill you. Stick to proven and validated recipes (from Ball or a university testing program) , without deviation. This isn't the time to be "creative"...

Chicken works well. Beef seems to come apart during reheating, instead of chunks, I wind up with shredded beef soup. The broths are made from bone stock, beef, chicken, lamb goat. I'll even use scrape bones from a meal- the ribs from a roast or Tbone, toss them in the freezer until I have enoough. I also prefer pints to the quarts that commercial broth comes in, its a more usable quantity for making sauces and such.

I haven't tried canning straight meat yet... I make dried meat products, vacuum pack and freeze them. Same with fruit- pineapple, apples, peaches, and such. I probably should try a few different things... When I was a kid, we'd make pickles every year, it was a big family event, 3 generations deep... need to dust off that recipe.
RED FLAG!
good advice above, but great grandma's recipe might not being FDA-safe! Like you've said, good to pressure-can non acid foods according to the advertised recipes (which if not FDA-safe -- they'd get shut down toot sweet)!

Anyway, the "red flag" is of both of your "3-generation's" old recipe AND your statement about drying meats.

Seriously, though, anything like our Jerky (without the use of Sodium Nitrate, et-al) will likely NOT be FDA safe. An advertised recipe requires a bit of butt-covering, especially meats, one having to make an assumption that the least intelligent among us might not be able to read that warning label in only 3 or 4 languages...or realize that Jerky won't be lasting around around my household for more than a couple of days! If I happened to make a big batch, I'll still keep it refrigerated for the extra 2 days it might last! Although I love the end products of my canned foods, I've yet to produce an excellent, for-sure-safe FDA approved jerky recipe.

YMMV!