1911Forum banner

Best S&W e-series magazines?

26K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  Esquilax 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
My E Series 1911TA doesn't like the Wilson Combat 47Ds and it won't run a single magazine of the original ACT magazines that came with the gun; but with Chip McCormick Power Mags, it has gone several thousand rounds of FMJ range ammo as well as hollowpoints including RA45B and P 45HST2, without a stoppage of any sort.

Hilton Yam tipped me off to the CMC Power Mags; he knows what he is talking about.

#6 ·
I just took my two-tone Sc to the range today. I noticed there was bit of play in the stock magazine that has the black base plate on it which does not seem normal. It seems to pop out about a mm. When I push it all the way in, it just pops back out. The welded bottom magazine one clicks all the way in. I had a few issues with the first round loading into the chamber with the magazine that was popping out by a mm. I'm not sure if that was the issue though.

I was going to order the Wilson Combat ones until I read this post. I think I'll give the CMC ones a look. Is there a difference with the ones that are made for the compact size or is it just the size of the base plate?

#13 ·
My 5" SS "E" came with two 8 round Checkmate mags w/hybrid lips and removable bases. They work fine. No experience with any other make of magazine in the E, but good to see that several other mags work well also.

#15 · (Edited)
Someone posted it somewhere, but there is a protocol with using the CMC mags in an alloy gun like the bobtail E-series. You can ding up your internals if you do it wrong.

I got this from an e-mail discussion about it from another user, named zebrajeb:

About the PowerMags. I asked CMC that question and got a rather long answer back from their tech department. Basically it only creates "dings" if you use the slide release to let the slide slam forward over an empty magazine. If you remove the magazine before releasing the slide no dings. No dings if you have a loaded magazine and release the slide. Since I learned to always remove empty magazine before closing slide on an empty chamber I don't expect any problems.

#18 ·
I picked up 2 CMC and 2 Wilson Combat 47D from Midway as they had both in stock. The 47D was a bit more expensive than anywhere else but if you buy enough items (not on sale) you can use their coupons. The CMC mag was on sale.

Shipping could be a deal breaker though but I finally got the Midway range bag and 2 Midway rifle bags which are heavily discounted. I was holding off on buying them until I really needed to buy something from them.

#30 ·
how can I tell what "brand/model" of magazines came with my e-series?
they only say .45 acp on them.
no numbers or other markings

EDIT: I just bought a CMC Power Mag.
I'm going to test with different mags to see which works best with my 1911. =)
The magazines that came with my E Series 1911TA were stamped with the Smith and Wesson trademark logo as well as with the words "ACT- MAG Italy."

They are beautifully made blued carbon steel; but, when using them, my otherwise totally reliable E Series 1911TA will not run through a single magazine without a stoppage.

#26 ·
@newworld: Do the top of the followers on your S&W furnished mags show a patent number? If so, they are most likely Checkmate mags. That's what came with my E 5" SS.

#32 ·
my SC i bought a few weeks ago came with checkmate mags.

Im having trouble finding mags. I live in MA and cant have mags shipped to me. went to basspro and they only had Pro Mag and Remmington which were 25 and 35 dollars respectivly, although theres not much respect in prices like that.
I got a Pro Mag but havent tried it out though.

Anyone from eastern MA know a place that always had some good Mags? northshore firearms didnt.

#38 ·
OK, found a little bit more info about this matter. Turns out that in MA any firearm component sold from outside MA is viewed by the MA AG as being sold within state, which makes no sense but whatever. So because of this a lot of companies do not go through the process of getting lisenced to ship to MA/ pay MA sales tax, so they just opt out of shipping to MA all togeather. However, there are not laws prohibiting shipment legal gun components to MA as far as I can see.

#41 ·
Yeah this state is a drag, but I have ordered mags from Cheaper Than Dirt, Chip McCormick Custom, and off of Gunbroker without problems, and have never been charged tax on them. I think much of the problem is that the state loves making vague rules and some retailers don't want to go through the trouble of sifting through them, which is to a degree understandable even if it stinks for us.

For local stores you might try Four Seasons in Woburn. I haven't been there yet but they're supposed to be great and have one of the best selections in the state. I've also bought CMC Power Mags at Stateline Guns, Ammo and Archery in Plaistow, NH, and I picked up some Wilson 47Ds at SL Gun Shop in Mason, NH (which is probably a bit of a drive for you).

I'd recommend calling around if you want to buy in-store rather than online.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.