1911Forum banner

9mm questions

6K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  jfwest 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I do not own an STI but am looking to get a 1911 or a 2011 in 9mm. I would be using it only for range use and am looking for a "target" gun. Something in the accuracy line of a Les Baer or Wilson.

Any suggenstions in model, features and such. Also, any impressions or advice on what you currently own for first hand experience.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tony

#2 ·
I am happy with my spartan 5 in 9mm. fiber front and adj rear sights. very tight and accurate. but the best part was it was $600.00 new Randy

#6 ·
VOX, wow, those are great groups for the distance, that's great out of a gun at that price point.

smalls, since I didn't see any type of accuracy mentioned on their site, I didn't know what to expect. I have heard good things about STI but not many around my circle here in Illinois. I guess I want to spread my 1911/"2011" background out a little and possibly try other brands. However, I am looking for accuracy which is why I mentioned it, for me that is a purchase consideration.

So far this looks promising but I am still researching. If any more can chime in I would appriciate it.

Thanks again,

Tony

#8 ·
Pay for a name with promised tight groups..... or pay less for an equivalent accuracy and fit from STI. Just buy the STI with total confidence and spend the difference on ammo. You'll be glad you did. I'd tell you if they sucked and I own several. Never will buy another brand as long as I am buying 1911/2011 pistols. STI rules the race gun world. Their carry pieces are better than very nice. www.stiguns.com Check out the Rangemaster. It's a beauty.

#9 · (Edited)
I have a question? That is my way of raising my hand on the net. I do not own a 9mm and dont't shoot them much almost never. My friend is getting his wife a pistol, and we discussed the 9mm and I suggested it some what because she is small and a new shooter. I also suggested 40S&W with 135gr. Winchester Rangers at 1,200FPS. Do you think she could tell the difference from that and a 124gr.+p 9mm?:hrm:Once she gets used to it or if he wanted to use it he could go to the heaver bullets and have the best of both wolds, minus 2-3 rounds?PS:This question is only about recoil, No stopping power or mag. capicity debates please.

#12 ·
It is mainly for SD and a smaller framed lady who is in traing now with a 22 pistol. Her husband will use it also. She is the very confident self assured go getter, hard corps type, and the ammo cost is not a factor at all. Also do they make 40/9 barrels for the SA XDM compact yet? It may also be used with the decision of gun purchase, and maybe the ultimate solution. Thanks for your response.

#13 ·
Not sure what your price range is, but Springfield Armory makes a quality gun at a resonable price. Definitly far less than Baer or Wilson. That would leave alot of $$ left over for ammo and range time. They offer their Loaded model with target or fixed combat sights. You would have to look long and hard on this forum to find people who have anything but good things to say about Springfield.

#14 ·
CarMan,
Accuracy is a relative thing. What is perfect accuracy for me shooting IDPA with my STI Trojan from Dawson Precision, would not be acceptable accuracy for someone shooting NRA Bullseye at 50yards.
From my experience having owned a Wilson Mastergrade 130 and now an STI Trojan, the Wilson was more accurate at 50 yards hands down, but for my intended use in IDPA either pistol possesses adequate accuracy and both were stone reliable. The Wilson would cost around 3-3.5K now, the STI cost me 950 plus the Dawson Precision tune.

#17 ·
I am getting a STI 9mm out of layaway this week as a gift for my wife. I think it will be more fun to shoot than any of my pistols and probably the most accurate too. You know the saying, it is better to give than receive? Well not too sure about that in this case.

#18 · (Edited)
old article, but show's how accurate a Trojan is.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_174_29/ai_n8968397/

Code:
STI "Trojan" 5"
Black Hills 125 gr. FMJ                    1,146      2.87
Federal 124 gr. Hydra-shok                 1,063      2.61
Federal 124 gr. FMJ Match                  1,105      2.22
Winchester 147 gr. TCMC                     944       1.87
6.0 gr. Power Pistol 121 gr. Hornday JHP   1,170      2.33
Average: 2.38

Accuracy results are results of three, 10-shot groups @50 yds.
from Ransom rest.

Velocity is the instrumental average of 30 shots @ 15 feet.

#20 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for all the great comments. I understand there is inherient accuracy and the rest is up to me.

To clarify, my purpose for target shooting is after a long week at work, I head to the rang on the weekend, take my time, clear my head, focus and try to make the smallest groups possible. This is like therapy, a great sport, hobby and stress releif.

So, that said, I am looking for great inherient accuracy.

Quack, that is great info., I don't mind spending more if I am getting a better built gun. I am trying to identify the differences in the many different pistols they offer and am leaning tword getting an STI.

Still not sure which one. Like, what is the difference between the Trojan and Range Master...the web site uses similar descriptions for both pistols. Other than the obvious features, are they all match barrels or barrel/bushing combo and the like. Are the frames forged or cast, things like that.

I will say, I was looking mostly at a 1911 platform, the Eagle looks interesting with the high capacity. Ufortunatly, they are scarce in my area and none to hold and feel to see if I even like it.

Thanks again for all the great info, it helps to hear and see real world info on these guns.

Tony

#22 ·
STI 9mm

You say you want to shoot the smallest groups possible.....and want a great deal of mechanical accuracy inherent to the gun.

STI guns are solid, reliable, and offer one of the best price/value relationships for any 1911 platform. They are accurate, but your definition of accurate is so vague, only you can define how much accuarcy would satisfy your needs.

I consider extreme accuracy as a 1911 9mm that will shoot 1.5" five shot groups from a rest at 50yds. To get this kind of accuracy, you need the services of a gunsmith that knows how to test barrels first, then precision fit the barrel to the gun. Proper barrel and bushing fit are critical to extreme accuracy, so the barrel locks up the same way every time.

At one time, Rock River made very accurate 9mm 1911 guns, but the amount of time vs. the cost, and their ability to get good barrels, caused them to quit production. Les Baer guns can be purchased with their accuracy guarantee, but the cost is not cheap.

If a gun with 2" accuracy at 25 yds is acceptable, than an STI will most likely produce that kind of accuracy or often times better with the proper reload.
I recently built an STI Eagle in .40 S&W that shoots 5 shot groups less than one inch from a rest at 25 yds. As I said, it's all about a quality barrel and the fitting to the slide and frame.....You can get a 1911 to shoot very small groups if you feel like spending the money. An average shooter can not hold a 2" group standing off hand at 25 yds.

I would purchase and STI Spartan or Trojan in 9mm, and shoot groups until you think you have matched the inherent accuracy of the gun. If you reach a level where you can outshoot the gun, then send it off to a gunsmith that knows how to build highly accurate guns, and let them work their magic. Often times, these gunsmiths have long waiting lists!:hrm:

#23 ·
I happen to think the 9mm Trojan is the most inherently accurate 1K 9mm out there. Mine runs like a sewing machine and hits where I point it. Mine also likes 147G Truncated Federal ammo for peak accuracy.

#28 ·
Hi Martowski,

I am in the Brookfield area near the Zoo. For some reason (most likely lack of a distributer) this area just doesn't have STI firearms. I have always read about them and just feel it's time to try one.

Where did you get your Spartan V?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.