1911Forum banner

Springfield NM Mil-Spec

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  den888 
#1 ·
So, I gave into a moment of weakness and bought a SA Mil-Spec today. My original plan was to cap off about 400 rounds through my Baer and Brown, but I decided to see how the Mil-Spec would perform instead.

I will say this......I'm impressed. This bad boy ate everything from 230gr Aguila, American Eagle and 185gr ASYM hollow points. Magazines used were everything from CMC, Tripp, Wilson, Brown and the mags that came with the pistol.

I did have one stovepipe towards the 400 round mark with a Wilson 47D, but I attribute that to fatigue, as I'm currently recovering from a nasty case of Torticollis in my back, neck and shoulder. The web of my shooting hand took quite a beating as well since I shoot high thumbs.

All in all, I'd recommend this pistol to anyone who is looking for a classic looking 1911 made right here in the USA. All comments are welcome!

See less See more
#7 ·
NM = finished machined and built here in the US.

N = Completely made in Brazil.

In short, "NM" guns are usually prized for their fitment to price point ratio and overall nice build quality in general.

Do a search in the S/A forum here and it will yield many results on the topic.

#9 · (Edited)
The NM designates American-assembled on Brazilian-made frames. All other SA's are built and assembled in Brazil.

IMBEL produces great frames, but they are made in Brazil rather than "right here in the USA".

Some people believe that An NM prefix means that the pistol is built on a national match frame; but Springfield says no.

Springfield uses the prefixes of "N" and "NM" to designate 1911-A1 type pistols, just as we used "AM" as the prefix for the P9 series of pistols. The only pistols which use the national match frames are the complete custom pistols built through our custom shop. These pistols have "Springfield Custom" etched on the slide, and will have the "NM" prefix to the serial number.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Custom
Springfield Inc.

customshop@springfield-armory.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.