1911Forum banner

Wear alloy frame vs. steel frame

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  KyJim 
#1 ·
I'm putting together my firearm wish list for 2011 and I'm thinking of adding a new DW or two this year and one of the ones I'm really considering getting is a Guardian in either 9mm or .45. I like the idea that 9mm is much cheaper to shoot than .45 and I buy my guns to be shot.

So my question is will a .45 (or 9mm for that matter) alloy framed gun hold up to regular shooting ie 100 - 300 rounds per week or should I look at one of the steel framed DW's? I already have 3 all steel DW's so I was thinking an alloy model may be the way to go for carry as well as fun. I have a CZ PCR 9mm alloy frame that I have well over 3k rounds through with no noticeable wear at all so perhaps I'm worry about nothing.

#3 ·
Quack, thanks for the reply that's what I thought seeing as I haven't had an issue with alloy framed PCR.

#5 ·
I'm going to disagree a bit with the other posters. I know Kimber has advertised their aluminum alloy framed guns show no wear after 20,000 rounds but there are stories out there of alloy framed 1911s showing cracks with less rounds. If you shoot 300 rounds a week, you'll have the 20,000 rounds through it in 66 weeks.

To me, it makes sense to shoot the majority of rounds through a steel gun and then shoot a few rounds through an alloy framed gun to make sure one is familiar with how it shoots. I do these with an aluminum framed carry pistol I own now and also plan on doing this with my Guardian once I have broken it in. I also change springs more regularly.

#7 ·
IDK. Seems there is a "little" difference between all steel guns and Alums. Like the weight. I would IMHO recommend you shoot what you carry. If its a light weight you want, then its a light weight you should shoot. Practicing with one and carrying the 'same' in a light weight doesn't sound smart to me.

I bet there are guys here who have put thousands and thousands of rounds thru a light weight and have had no problems. Thread Search.

#6 ·
Any man who can afford enough ammo to wear one out, has enough money such that if he did wear one out, the point is moot.

#8 ·
Practicing with one and carrying the 'same' in a light weight doesn't sound smart to me.
So you only shoot the pistol(s) you carry?

Keep in mind that you're talking only "thousands" of rounds. That's an insignificant number of rounds through a steel 1911. You may get 100,000 rounds plus from a quality steel frame. There are many stories of steel 1911s getting over 200,000 rounds through them.

Here's what Ed Brown says about their aluminum alloy framed 1911:

A carry gun is generally expected to be shot enough to assure familiarization with the weapon and then is carried most of it's life. Occassional practice is fine, but if you plan on a high volume of shooting, you would be much better served with a steel frame gun. . . .

The bottom line: if you intend to carry the gun a lot, and not use it for your "daily shooter", the aluminum version is for you. Otherwise, stick with the steel version.
http://www.edbrown.com/kobracarrylw.htm

Ed Brown knows more about 1911s than either you or I could ever hope to know.

Any man who can afford enough ammo to wear one out, has enough money such that if he did wear one out, the point is moot.
It's not moot if the OP asked about it. It is an irrefutable fact that an alloy framed 1911 will not last as long as a steel framed 1911. It's up to a particular individual how much weight they put on this. Me, I own two alloy framed 1911s and hope to get another this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.