1911Forum banner

Firing pin on one of my 9mm 1911s not retracting Fixed with Wolff firing pin spring.

747 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Hopknockious 
#1 ·
One of my 80% milled into a 100% had a problem with the firing pin punching through the snap cap and getting stuck in the firing pin bore. I did not figure this out until I could not get the slide to move back out of battery without a lot of wiggling and trying to move it, then it broke free. I noticed that the firing pin where it gets hit by the hammer did not come back through the firing pin stop. After a few Whisky Tango Foxtrot moments, I looked up and saw I had a couple Wolff Extra Strong Firing pin springs I found when I was doing some clean up and swapped out the firing pin spring. Works great now with no more fireing pin sticking.

Frame is a Urban Survival Arms 9mm Government for a ramped barrel.
Slide is a Rock Island 9mm slide.
Barrel is a Rock Island 9mm 5" barrel.
Grip Safety is a Rock Island Beaver Tail.
Firing pin is an 80 series instead of a 70 series
Hammer is a low mass hammer.
I listed the parts used in this 1911 for reference.

#5 ·
It could also be the firing pin bore is not sized correctly, burred, or not centered with the firing pin hole.

#6 ·
I have a Springfield 9MM Range Officier that I was getting some light strikes, so I replaced the factory firing pin with a steel Brown pin. Dropped in in and the first dry fire the pin was stuck about 3/8" past the breech face, it was far enough forward that the firing pin stop would fall out. I took a lot of time with sandpaper to reduce the diameter of the pin for it to work. I would hold the paper in my fingers and spin the pin with the other hand, rinse and repeat until it fit.

#7 ·
I had to ream the firing pin channel as there were burrs. Basically the opposite issue as the OP, but it was disconcerting. After 250 rounds though, no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.