1911Forum banner

Carrying a Large Revolver

8K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  dakota1911 
#1 ·
I have always preferred semi-autos, but recently bought a 5" S&W Model 629 Classic. I carry my full size 1911 in a Wilderness Safepacker holster when roaming the outdoors and fishing. I like the Safepacker a lot, because of the protection it affords the firearm, the easy accessibility of the gun, and it is a very discrete way to carry outdoors. I had planned on getting one for the new revolver, but just discovered that the largest one they make will accomodate only 4" barrels.

So, does anyone know of any alternatives for carry and protection of the weapon that is similar to the Safepacker and will accomodate a large, longer barreled revolver? I do not intend to wear this firearm in a coventional holster as I do my defensive gun, which is usually a Khar K9.

#2 ·
I had the same problem. Other than a shoulder holster, didn't really see anything I liked. Ended up carrying it in my pocket, ha, but just around my place. Would've looked interesting in public. I'm jealous by the way, I sold that exact gun to our mechanic and have been trying in vain to buy it back ever since. Mine was a great shooter.

#6 ·
I regulary carry a S&W 25-13 in the woods in either a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster or a full flap holster. Concealment is not a concern for me in the woods. I carry however is the most expedient.

#7 ·
I have an open ended tanker style holster from Pyramid Air that handles my four inch 686, or my 4 inch 625 or my 6.5 inch Taurus .44 all fairly well.

And it has six bullet loops on the back face of the holster. Its comfortable for all day wear and very rugged.

You can also take the holster off the shoulder strap and wear it like a hip holster.

#8 ·
Hmm... Discreet carry and a 629 magnum don't really go together, IMO. I'm not sure you'll find it.

I do have a SimplyRugged holster coming for my .45colt mountain gun. I would say keep a focus on carry comfort with such a large gun over discretion.

#9 · (Edited)
For many years now i have carried the redhawk's in 44mag with the shoulder holsters with 5 1/2" & 7 1/2" barrels. I have also carried the 357mag w/6" barrel too in a shoulder holster. You can't tell i'm carrying the 7 1/2" gun shoulder holstered thats the point of consealed carry. I'm thinking of getting or making a double shoulder holster so i can carry both my 44's with 7 1/2" barrels.

#10 ·
Having a 6.5 29 since the early 70's I carry with a Safariland Shoulder holster and find it very comfortable. I use the other should strap extended and secured to the strong side belt with a belt keeper to allow the weight to be balanced by the belt rather than under the right shoulder.

True I don't carry it often but it works.

FYI

#11 ·
The Lou Alessi Field Master Holster was given a very good
write up by Sawbones I believe. Google Shoulder Holsters Review
and Sawbones goes through about every rig on the market - he
has a couple of decades of experience to base his opinion.

THe Alessi FM Shoulder rig is done in a heavy ounce leather,
cordovan with a basket weave, it is wide where it needs to be
lilke like the top of the shoulders, and narrower where it just
positions things, It is leather on both sides of the
shoulders not just elastic so it feels unbalanced. The off side
has the option for a pouch or speedloaders. THe holster is a
true one handed draw, with a pivot point. It has a restraining
strap in case of climbing, descent rough terrain. The gun is
carried muzzle down so it's a vertical rig.

of course the best isn't cheap at $200 but it's the
rig to get for a large frame, I have a 625 5" bbl. at
45 oz. fwiw.

Randall

#16 ·
#13 ·
My bianchi 6" shoulder holster is very well made and it has a soft liner so it won't hurt the finish on the gun. These aren't cheap too. My 7 1/2" barrel shoulder holster is just plain leather with no lining so its ok for the stainless finish guns. I don't see that many shoulder holsters like these anymore.

#14 ·
Have field carried both 5" model 29s and 27s for quite some time now and for comfort and ease of access find the El Paso Saddlery 1942 tanker holster to be quite the unit. I mount a 6 round cartridge carrier on the strap above the holster. My Model 29 rig also has a small fixed blade knife in a kydex sheath attached to the back side with chicago screws. It is easily covered by a jacket if required and is not in the way when carrying a rucksack.

outa here

markwell

#19 ·
I have the jumbo pack that I use all the time at the ranch. I have used a couple of different jigs in it. For a while now I have the XD compact 9 with the XML light in a blade tech holster made for both. I took the paddle off and mounted a piece of kydex with velcro (hook) in its place. The max jumbo has velcro (loop) in the pocket for carry. Its carried on the right side and I can have the XD out and good placement in 2 sec by the timer.

It makes a great grab in go bag. I carry a load of what-if stuff in it all the time. GPS, multi tool, gerber saw, G2 surefire, fire started, some first-aid things, water bottle with purifier and the large compartment is still empty.

I have seem most of the Maxpedition bags at shows and our local store has a good display and the Fatboy Jumbo Versipack fit the bill for me.

Here is a youtube for this bag : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So5iQoQQswg
The kid is kinda over the top but its a good review. If do a search on Maxpedition on youtube there are a few reviews of other bags.

HighJacking now over, Sorry....

#20 ·
I have a Simply Rugged pancake with the inside out tabs for the option of IWB carry. With the Ahrends tactical grip, I can carry a 6" 629 and be reasonably discreet.

#22 ·
I have three different ways to holster my 6.5" 29.

Safariland for chest cross draw.

Bianchi Cyclone for either crossdraw or strongside.

Typically I carry a 3" 629 in the Bianchi mounted crossdraw, but occasionally the 6.5 or the 6" gets the call.

When I carry a rifle, I don't wear my pistol on the strongside due to it getting in the way. I ALWAYS carry the pistol, whether I carry a rifle or not.

#25 ·
Like others have already said, the across the chest holsters are really good for woods carry... especially if you are in colder weather with a covering garment.

#27 ·
The Hoffners got a very good write-up in gun tests for use with a 4" 610. I have one of their hybrid IWB for a 1911 and it is indeed a very versatile and functional holster.

#28 ·
Gents,

I'm a firm believer in classic leather for classic big bore handguns. My preference,for general carry and woods use, is the El Paso Saddlery "Threepersons" design coupled with their 2+2+2 Mag pouch and a couple of HKS speedloaders. This set is for my no-dash M-29 4" that was worked over by Jim Clark, Sr. when he was still with us.

For big bore handguns it doesn't get much better.

By the way, devildog66, that's one nice set up you have there!

Wes
(USMC 1302/2502, Ret. '94)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.