1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLORIDA: Another derp with a CCW

5K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  M4finny 
#1 ·
Video link below

Note: I work at a high school about 5 minutes from where the arrest occurred.

Contrary to what this article argues, there was no reasonable attempt made to conceal his firearm. It's obvious that it's an OWB holster being carried on baggy pants with no belt. Not to mention that it's pretty difficult to conceal much with a wifebeater.

I imagine they'll attempt to use the SB234 argument (protection for CCWers who "accidentally" expose their concealed weapon) but I can't imagine how anyone would think the gun was concealed in the first place.

http://www.allnineyards.com/2012/06...idental-exposure-of-lawfully-carried-handgun/

#2 ·
Dale Norman has a valid Florida Concealed Carry License but was arrested on February 19th, 2012 by the Fort Pierce, FL Police Dept. while otherwise lawfully carrying a handgun because it accidentally became exposed.
I am not sure how that is considered an accidental exposure.:rofl:

#6 ·
He's blind if he thinks that was accidental, or hanged up on anything.

Then.......I noticed this is nothing but something from some dudes blog. At least it's not the media, but still, bringing it out, embellishing and getting it enough attention that it's being posted in internet forums.....great, just what we need. At least he's becoming a 3 minute celebrity "writer". :D

#8 ·
I was trying to find the video and came across the blog. The 'writer', I agree, is a bit off the deep end thinking that this guy was in any way attempting to conceal his weapon. Also, it's worthy of noting that he only received his carry permit a few days prior.

Now, that being said, Ft. Pierce, FL (particularly the north part) has a fair amount of gang activity and gun violence, especially as of late. The responding LEOs deserve cookies for how they handled it. After talking with a few SLC deputies, the consensus is that someone openly displaying a firearm like that doesn't cause them to think "he's probably a CCW-er!"

As far as the 'profiling' comment goes: Red, yellow, black or white. If you're walking down US1 in Ft. Pierce with a gun out, you can expect to be on the ground in pretty short order.

#16 ·
The bill that the blogger is referring to (SB234) was originally intended to be Florida's "open carry bill". However, it was repeatedly gutted and became nothing more than an official decriminalization of inadvertent exposure of a lawfully-carried concealed weapon.

It'll be a while before Florida sees open carry. Too many snowbirds and old folks would be 'uncomfortable'. Remember - we are home of the newly bred and nearly dead :/

#26 ·
What's a Derp ?
Slang for idiot or moron, it's actually the response to an idiotic action or comment.

What can I say, I'm a middle school teacher. It's origins are from South Park, but it has evolved beyond that. Started hearing it last year, someone would do/say something stupid, and someone would respond with, "derp."

In the case of the suspect, derp applies.

I agree with Nick about the state issued license with a fee. One should not be necessary to exercise a civil right. $117 is a bit much to get permission from the government for anything.

Robert

#25 ·
I noticed the text in the arrest report.

The guy had his shirt tucked in.
With the holster outside his pants.

No effort to conceal at all.
That's a pity, given Florida's statute.

Was this a lack of education, or stupidity, or inadvertent negligence,
or an act of civil disobedience to gain standing to challenge a law which
violates the Second Amendment?

It would seem that one cannot open carry,
one can only conceal carry in Florida.
But one can only carry concealed with a state issued license.
And that might be the problem, requiring a state license
with fee to be able to exercise a civil right.

#34 ·
Maybe you should reread the law, because it is clear, but not as simple as "NO OPEN CARRY"... While on your way to or from fishing or hunting you are allowed to open carry a firearm. Youtube has a video of a citizen with a cell phone video of him open carrying while headed to fish on a public dock, and is confronted by an officer. The citizen informs the officer of his rights and goes about his business

#37 ·
If that's how I was originally understood I'm glad I explained myself.

Personally I doubt even if it passes I would open carry I enjoy the discreetness and the surprise factor I benefit from my CCP. But law abiding citizens should be able to carry if they feel so inclined. It's just the criminals who will feel a certain amount of increased sense of boldness that concerns me.

By my nature I'm a little bit more conservative in my life not just politics. I prefer to be low key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.