1911Forum banner

Loaded Operator - Full Rail Review

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  specialblend 
#1 ·
I purchased this Op a few years ago new from Olde English (Dayton, OH). This was my first flirtation with a 1911 that had a rail. While neat and all, it took my CQB Tac LE to progress the railed 1911 thing with me further. And my non railed 1911s considerably outnumber my railed 1911s, FWIW. Now on to the meat of the matter -

First impression: this is smoother and built nicer than my parkerized Loaded (not an "NM" gun). Serial number is NM180xxx. The gun has only seen about 2300 rounds since new, all 200g LSWC, with a slightly varied load of bullseye (4.5 to 4.8g, depending). No failures yet. The gun shoots consistently, though not a accurately as my other SAs, hovering around 1.5-1.6" at 18yrds with the above load. I really dont know if it can do better or not. In its current form, it doesnt compete well for trigger time with my other guns. However, lest you think I dont have designs for it - this will be going back to the Custom Shop to be made into a "Full Railed Pro". Slide to frame fit is looser than my TRPs. About the same as my SS Target, which is the same as my only Kimber (a 40/10mm Stainless). Barrel fit is good, though not as good as a TRP (nothings free...)

First impression: this gun is par for the course for NM Springers. That is to say, well made and nicely finished. Reliable. In need of a new rear sight (I really, really hate to see daylight under the Novaks...:grumble:)

Overall, this is a handsome pistol, aside from the particularly plain stocks. The full rail adds a bit of character, and I think they should still be selling them. Just my oblique opinion, though.

Fit and finish was OK here. SA did a better than average job with the grip safety, and average with the ejector/extractor - in terms of finish. Thumb safety works as advertised, and is smooth and positive. The grip safety disengages about 50% of travel.

Did a good job with throating and polishing. No complaints. Reliable function is the ultimate judge. I'd like to see more agressive thoating, but whatever works.

SA polished the breech face after finishing. This is an oft overlooked step, and I'd like to see it done more. Extractor was not polished, and just slips in/out of the slide. Firing pin stop is a loose-ish fit.

While I am a loyal follower of the 10mm Norma, Cal .45 really looks good on pistol, especially a 1911. Really, I like the 3/4 rail better, but, what can I say - I'm a slave to 1911 fashion :biglaugh:

Good job beveling the mag well. This will get a SA funnel w/ laynard loop. I like the wilson speed chute better, but...

The gun is uniquely handsome.

Full rail Ops have gained some degree of mystique, deserved or otherwise. The full rail adds a few ounces. ALL Ops are fitted nicely and finished nicely for the money. I look at this gun as a "Tacticool Canvas". Do I need such a gun? No. I dont "need" a '61 vette with mechanical fuel injection either. All I can say on this topic - its ok to get in touch with you inner "ninja" every once in a while. Whatever makes you happy, be it ninja or anti-ninja (you know who you are ;))

The parkerizing is well done, and even throughout the pistol. I dont really care for the 2 tone look, and would prefer charcoal black overall. Like I said earlier, I got this one to customize. There was a small burr present on the mag well that was annoying for about 5 minutes, which is preciesly how long it took me to take a file to it. The TRP Op cost me $600-700 more, and is that much better. I'd buy a full rail TRP Op with Novaks tomorrow, FWIW. Or a 3/4 rail TRP Op with Novacks.

Thoughts on SA pistols (non custom shop/TRP): SA makes a good pistol for the money, simple as that. They come, typically, reliable and durable straight from the box. I am not disapointed with any of the ones I have. I have a strong preference for the "NM" guns, and wish SA didnt produce anything but. However, the supply is good enough, I can typically place my hands on enough of them to keep me happy, so I wont lament about it too much.

See less See more
#3 ·
good lord clean that thing!

Good lookin piece.

#5 ·
The frame rails are std. 1911. Not like the Sig's.

Yeah, I like OE...except for the fact I leave large amounts of money there...

Shadow6: no. It's clean enough. ;)

#6 ·
I have its twin sister. She has been flawless in every way, shape and form. I wouldn't mind spending the money on custom shop mods but I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus I rather spend the money on a Les Baer TRS.:rock: I am a Springer fan but I want a baer cause they shoot so nice.

#7 ·
I picked a used TRP full railed bull barrel operator last year and love it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.