1911Forum - View Single Post - Food storage
Thread: Food storage
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 09:50 AM

Canning is another method- i wasn't sure whether to go down that rabbit hole here.. .

I can soups and stocks- haven't really explored much beyond that... one thin that I do for soups to be canned is make the broth at about a 2x strength. This allows 1pt of soup to be cut with 1pt of water, and the addition of a handful of pasta, or a bit of roux for a stew- you can't home can flour and pasta "safely", and I shy away from home experiments which may result i botulism. I really should live a little, try a batch, and see what happens.... In all seriousness, home canning can kill you. Stick to proven and validated recipes (from Ball or a university testing program) , without deviation. This isn't the time to be "creative"...

Chicken works well. Beef seems to come apart during reheating, instead of chunks, I wind up with shredded beef soup. The broths are made from bone stock, beef, chicken, lamb goat. I'll even use scrape bones from a meal- the ribs from a roast or Tbone, toss them in the freezer until I have enoough. I also prefer pints to the quarts that commercial broth comes in, its a more usable quantity for making sauces and such.

I haven't tried canning straight meat yet... I make dried meat products, vacuum pack and freeze them. Same with fruit- pineapple, apples, peaches, and such. I probably should try a few different things... When I was a kid, we'd make pickles every year, it was a big family event, 3 generations deep... need to dust off that recipe.
Attached Thumbnails
20200329_102329.jpg  
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams