1911Forum banner

Dan Wesson vs. Kimber

14K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  sgtlogan 
#1 ·
Hello Everybody!!!

I have never given the Dan Wesson guns much thought, but looking at these photos I am really geting hots to sell my Kimber and replace it with a Wesson gun. They are really SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEt!!!! Any help on a particular model for concealed carry, probably a Commander size. Thanks alot!!

#2 ·
I went from SA and Kimber to DW and I won't be going back. I doubt you would regret this decision.

As for commander-sized models, you have one choice. The Commander Classic Bobtail or "cbob" for short. DW is not so ginormous as Kimber to have 50 different models but thats ok because the cbob has everything I could want and at a great price. The cbob is available in 45 or 10mm and they seem to run in the $900 nieghborhood. They come standard with two-color night sights, stainless bobtailed frame, frontstrap checkering, trigger guard undercut, stainless slide with no FCS, depending on the vintage little to no MIM, and overall a better fit and finish than the competition.

#3 ·
I don't have much to add to that...+1 for the CBOB.

But if you really like your Kimber and it's reliable,I would recommend keeping it and saving your dollars for the CBOB. Don't trade away a good handgun to get instant gratification.

If I had to pick one or the other though,I'd go with DW any day.

#8 ·
I don't have much to add to that...+1 for the CBOB.

But if you really like your Kimber and it's reliable,I would recommend keeping it and saving your dollars for the CBOB. Don't trade away a good handgun to get instant gratification.

If I had to pick one or the other though, I'd go with DW any day.
+1 to keeping the Kimber,assuming it's a good one and saving for the CBOB.

I like my Kimbers a lot, however I would have to agree with 2TransAms, if I had to choose just one, it would be a Dan Wesson.

Best regards.

#6 ·
Locally I had a lot of trouble finding affordable 10mm. Unlike 45 I can't
just run down to wally world and pick up a box. However, I order 500
rounds at a time from Georgia Arms for roughly the same price as 45
in the local stores. Even less if you by 1000 rounds in one order.

Chris

#5 ·
I own four Kimber target .45s and a DW PM-7 .45acp. The Dan Wesson will consistantly outshoot every one of my kimbers every time. The DW also has one of the finest factory triggers I have seen

#9 ·
this over any Kimber...with the exception of the original series I kimbers....anything in their current lineup takes a second place to the all steel, true series 70 dan wessons....easy decision for me.

These are a perfect commander....but the bobtail is not for everyone. shoot one before you buy...:rock:

#10 ·
I used to own a Kimber Custom TLE II in stainless, and it was flawless. In the past 2 weeks, I've bought brand new: Kimber Ultra Carry II SS and a Wesson CBOB. I'm in love with both! They both have different functions for me and I'm amazed with both of them, but the CBOB just rocks!

I wish I had thought of or discovered DW's earlier...I would've been a DW owner for a loooong time now.

HH

#12 ·
My 1911 History:

Stage 1. Given a Remington Rand after a relative killed my Glock with his handloads. RR won't eat anything but light load Federal hardball. Sold to a collector, a Kimber Custom is included in trade.

Stage 2. Kimber Custom: Anything that could break, just about did. In 9 months of ownership, taking it with me every trip(3 weekly) to the firing range, the list of parts that failed made me hate 1911's. The grip safety, the firing pin, plunger tube would not stay put, hammer developed hairline crack, and the slide catch broke. The slide began to spiderweb. Traded to friend for a Dan Wesson .38 Special. Friend ended up replacing the slide and just about all the small parts. Swore I would never own a 1911 again. I hated 1911's.

Stage 3. Between my Dan Wesson .44 magnum and the .38 Special, I developed a serious Dan Wesson addiction. An addiction which would consume my spare cash, my spare time, and ultimately threaten my relationship with friends and family- until I got them hooked too.

Stage 4. Traded a Taurus .44 and a cheapie 9mm for cash and a Dan Wesson Panther with 6 clips. The Panther changed my mind on 1911's, quickly determined that DW 1911's were more addictive than DW revolvers. For fueling my addiction, may the Lord have mercy on Bob Serva's soul.

Stage 5: 2 Dan Wesson Panthers- stainless and blue. PM7-45 ACP. PM7-10mm. Commander Bobtail 45acp. Razorback 10mm.

If you like your Kimber's- stick with them, that's more Dan Wesson's for me. You might be a new Dan Wesson convert, you might not be. If the Kimbers are your love, then stick with them. I had a bad Kimber, but I know that Kimber produces some nice firearms- they're just not for me. Is it rational that one bad Kimber turned me off from not only Kimbers, but also 1911's

I love my Dan Wesson's. They are an addiction, they are an obsession. They are works of art, and they are shooting nirvana.

#13 ·
I agree with "keep the Kimber and buy the CBOB". I have both and love both.

My CBOB has a heavy trigger (measured 5-1/4 lbs) but is VERY nice to shoot. My Kimber SIS are all excellent shooters.

Redundancy has it purpose :rock:

#14 ·
Can't buy just one. I would never advise you to go out and buy more than one pistol (HA!), but...
I like both, with a strong preference for the DW CBOB.
I recently bought a kimber cause DW doesn't make a pistol like it (small, lightweight frame.)

Hint to kieth: Small, lightweight frame :)?

#15 ·
All set to buy the New Raptor II! Then he showed me a Valor.....

The valor is as nice.... well its nicer... than the ED Brown I had in my hand moments before. The Valor is, Beautiful, Sophisticated, Artistic, mine.
I'm glad I couldn't afford the Ed Brown, I would not have seen the Valor.
I'm glad I saw the Valor before I bought the Raptor.
BTW I'm huge Kimber fan, have several really good ones. But this Valor..
just something there.... you all know what i'm talkin 'bout.

#16 ·
..... l o n g deliberate sigh of resignation.......

Better just buy the ones you need... See... I r e a l l y needed that Pro CDP II that I picked up today. (The target was going to get me if I didn't shoot it.) But I'm glad I stopped in at Ghost Products to see Angus, Eric, and crew. (www.ghostholster.com) 'Cause if I hadn't I would not have gotten my Valor with the Ambi safety, and the Magwell....
Valor will be ready to go next week.
yes...I am working all weekend to pay for these toys.......
I know its an old concept... work> pay> = reward . Not a perfect system,
but the one I use. In my next life... I'm going to be handsome ....and rich
and only know trashy women... like a politician:biglaugh:

#17 ·
I use to had Kimber Classic I ...now is gone
use to had Para P13.....now is gone
ust to had SA 5"........now is gone

but now I have CBOB ....is for keep :)
Cbob is very nice and best gun for under 1K,can not fine anything that better looking for this price range.
DW rock....:rock:

#19 ·
Thanks for all the replies everybody. I like the Kimber Ultra CDP II that I have, but i have fallen in love with the DW's. I think the last time I saw a DW it was a revolver with a 6" or 8" barrel back in the 80's. I retired from law enforcement in 1993 and kind of forgot about guns for the most part. Over the past year my kids have grown to a point where they are really interested in guns, so I am building a new inventory for them to enjoy as well. Happy to be shootin again!!!!!!! :D

#20 ·
Bill5074:
You will be amazed at the quality that you find in the DW. It will be hard for you to quit buying them after the firet one. Someday maybe DW will have at least one model to please everyone for every purpose and need. Just get the bug when you buy the first one and you will be hooked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.