1911Forum banner

First visit with the Thomp

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  havanajim 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I took my Thompson M1SB to the range today. First rounds down range, it functioned I flawlessly, put rounds where I aimed them and recoil was negligible. The recoil spring are very stiff and with the stock charging handle I use a piece of wooden dowel to assist. Once locked back after last round I could release the bolt without the assistance of the dowel rod. It was worth the wait. Just a personal thought, I can't get used to the 16" barrel versions of the classic firearm.

It took me a little bit to get used to the trigger, very long pull, but after that it started to group nicely just firing at random paces

See less See more
#3 ·
Is that a full auto model?

Or a modern one that has just been converted to a SBR?

#4 ·
What I wouldn't do to get to shoot one of these...And I hope they never make them in 9mm, would "defeat" the entire purpose ;-).

You are a Lucky-Guy.

#5 ·
My understanding is that you can rent one in Las Vegas.

And I know for a fact that you can rent one in Guam. I did it when I was there. The poor thing was about a smooth bore by the time that I got to it though.

#6 ·
Is that a full auto model?
Or a modern one that has just been converted to a SBR?

It's a new production M1SB SBR, I'm guessing made to order. I can't afford the entry price for an authentic full auto Thompson $25-30k. Very happy with this.

#10 ·
Nice. Always been a fan, though they're a bit heavy. I wonder how the alloy versions balance and handle.

My favorite such guns (submachine guns) are the Colt 9mm SMG's. I made a modern clone-ish SBR out of an RRA upper.

#12 ·
Congrats on a fantastic acquisition!!!!!!! Even in the modern, semi-auto version, it's still a masterpiece. I highly recommend the extended charging handle. It's a good investment. I use mine in Steel Challenge, and she never misses a beat - 80-year-old mags and all!!

View attachment 565860

View attachment 565862
I have one just haven't installed it yet. I was waiting to see if the gun loosened up some before i install it.

#14 ·
Jealous!!!!! Have always wanted one of those! Nice!!!

On aside. Ltd several years back there was a guy that listed a LNIB Thompson in 22 LR fired 50 rounds through it then put it back in the box where it sat for a lond time. Only one I have ever seen for sale,needles to say it was gone immediately.

#19 ·
I wanted a genuine M1 Thompson ever since I was a kid. Unfortunately my state doesn't allow machine guns, not that I'd be able to afford one anyway. But the semi-auto SBR version of the Thompson is definitely tempting. I just can't talk myself into doing the ATF paperwork and spending two grand on a range toy right now.

#21 ·
There was a gun show here a while back.

A guy had an absolutely pristine full auto 1921 Thompson for sale. I did not even ask him how much he wanted for it. Apparently the Illinois State police had a bunch of them and recently decided to sell them off. It was immaculate. It had a metal star with the Illinois highway patrol emblem inlaid into the stock.
Cool as all get out. Some people with really deep pockets are no doubt enjoying them today.

#22 ·
There's no doubt the Colts are quite cost-prohibitive, and getting worse every day. Who knows how many of those original 15k remain, though, and they do carry the Colt mystique, so you will pay dearly. The Savages are also gaining steam price-wise, because of the wartime connection, certainly. However, while still expensive, the West Hurleys remain at sub-$20k, at least for the time being. You do have to know where to look and you have to avoid the 'auction' houses. So, for the cost of five or six expensive 1911s, you could avail yourself of one of these masterpieces. Just throwing it out there since we're now in the holiday shopping season!!!! :) :) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.