1911Forum banner

I was told by a gun dealer that Kimber has changed their...

13K views 64 replies 38 participants last post by  jharris308 
#1 ·
...manufacturing methods by switching to a more "assembly line" method. He said these new methods are why lots of Kimbers are being sent back to the factory after they are sold, because quality control has slipped. I have never owned a Kimber, but want to purchase an Ultra 1911 model of a high quality maker. I am a retired LEO and presently have two glock .40s, but want a small .45 for personal defense, so I am really not looking for a range pistol for 1000's of rounds of shooting. This would be a carry gun that I would want to conceal and carry comfortably. I would probably only put about 500 rounds a year through it. I really do love how the Kimber Super Carry Ultra and the Ultra Crimson Carry II look and feel, but have never shot either. I also like the look of the Sig 1911 Ultra two tone, but can't find one, except online. I have, however, found both of these Kimbers and I am getting the itch to get one. Reliability would be my number one priority in this weapon, as I imagine that both would be similar in accuracy, but could be mistaken. To those that have either of these brands, can anyone advise which would suit me best? By reading lots of Kimber posts, there seem to be issues with FTF and FTE on the Kimbers, at lease more so that some of the other brands. I just don't want to make a mistake on such a large purchase. Thanks in advance....

#45 ·
I've had my CDP Ultra since 1999. Used it for carry, and many self defense classes. In some of the classes I used 8 and 10 round Wilson magazines, so I didn't have to reload as much. Shoots SD ammo just as reliably as ball.

Took it out a few weeks ago to compare recoil with the new Aegis I just got. Both 3" alloy frame guns, and it and the Aegis were 100% reliable.

Not a Kimber fan boy, just been satisfied with the ones I have bought and still shoot and carry, to this day.

I don't think you will be disappointed in a Kimber.

#46 ·
Well, I went ahead and bought the Kimber!!!

Just bought my first Kimber, a Super Carry Ultra two-tone. I took it to the range for the initial firing. I fired 50 rounds of PMC 230 grain FMJ through it and it was flawless. At 50 feet, all rounds were in the target with about a 5" grouping. And all were centered around the "x", so no pulling to any one side. Very smooth weapon and since I am used to a glock, this trigger will fire if you breathe on it, so will train well in that regard. Love the gun. Couldn't believe the accuracy in a 3" barrel. The list on this gun is $1557.00 MSRP. I got it for $1299.00, which is still high, but since they seem scarce, I didn't think it was too bad. Is this a good price or just average?

#48 ·
Just bought my first Kimber, a Super Carry Ultra two-tone. The list on this gun is $1557.00 MSRP. I got it for $1299.00, which is still high, but since they seem scarce, I didn't think it was too bad. Is this a good price or just average?
Congrats.

I would say you got a good deal.

I usually feel pretty good if I can get a NEW gun for around 80% of MSRP, and this was before today's overheated market.

#50 ·
Courage! The ability to rise beyond fear! Superb choice! ( I think the Sig Ultra's are excellent too) The Sigs are very different.
Keep it lubed, practice.
In the micro barrel 1911, .45ACP, FMJ 230g is fine for self defense. Many of the known and popular (expensive) HP ammo will not get the velocity to expand as advertised, and desired. Longer barrel, increased velocity.
FMJ 230g will have the ft. lbs. of energy to get the job done, with the added benefit of reliability.
I like a forward IWB holster.

#49 ·
Johnhunter44,
I have two Kimbers, A Super Carry Pro and a Raptor Ultra II. The SCP was finicky on ammunition but as the round count builds, the gun now operates flawlessly. The Raptor Ultra has many hundred rounds down range and has been flawless in performance! That target was at 7 yards and is a 10 shot group!! The gun is ACCURATE!!

Now, my one REAL gripe... Kimber makes the main spring housing out of PLASTIC!! Here is the same gun with a Smith & Alexander stainless steel main spring housing and magwell and a set of their magwell grips. I carry this gun almost everyday!

I would not hesitate to purchase another Ultra...

#53 ·
I will throw in another point here.. I currenty have two 1911's

Ed Brown = $$$$$$$

Kimber Compact (Siers 1) = $

I am here to tell you that little Kimber has held its own against the Brown - Both have run 100% and actually I shoot a little better with the Kimber - go figure.

Point is - try and find a series 1 and see if you can move to the 4" officer model

#55 ·
Did Massad Ayoob provide you with some examples? :D People say and speculate a lot of things, people also try to compare civilian carry with LE duty. People also babble in the internet, and people believe whatever they're told.

The point, none. There's an Ammo subforum with more discussions than you'll ever want to read, regarding defense rounds, ballistics, tests, BS, stories etc. :D

#59 ·
I have a stainless TLE/RLII. I have had only 1 FTF out of 600 rounds. I reload all my own rounds and the one that failed was the first one. After I got my depth right I have not had one FTF. I did have to send mine in for a sight adjustment but after that I have been able to use it as a close range varmint gun. Ground squirrels out to 30 yards are in trouble. Ron

#61 ·
Hi, new to the forums and thought I'd chime in my measly two cents. I own 3 kimbers, a custom TLE in 10mm a pro cary and an ultra raptor, and a few others from different companies. Yes I like Kimbers. However all 3 of them had FTF for about the first 500 rounds I put through them, it didn't matter if I was using range ammo or hot loaded personal defense. Kimber states that their guns require a break in period so it wasn't a surprise, I just think that for a thousand dollars or more you should not have to break in a weapon to get reliability. Also as a left handed shooter I'd like to see more of their weapons with ambi safeties, but that is a relatively cheap thing to replace. Their accuracy is very good, to the point where I can not shoot a 1911 set up for bullseye any better then I can the 10mm. For CCW I prefer the ultra raptor due to it's darkness (less likely to be seen through a shirt) over the pro carry I have. I am eyeing that new sapphire they have out but mainly for the aesthetic appearances.

#65 · (Edited)
I have a Super Carry Pro and it has been terrific through 1000 rounds or so. There were a couple of FTF issues initially, but after investigating, it was a magazine issue. Gun is very reliable, and I carry it every day. I like the Pro (commander) size for carry as the Ultra seems to be to small in the grip and Pro fits will in my IWB. Custom sizes work well too, but I choose to carry the Pro with alloy frame for the weight. With the gun, holster, and three 8 round mags, the belt can get heavy!

I can attest to the Pro and Ultra series being a little more finicky, but if they are maintained well and shot with a proper grip, you should see no issues. Less than adequate/out of tune magazines and limp wrist grips account for the lion's share of issues with 1911's in my opinion.

I highly recommend Kimber, and I don't have a dog in the hunt, only my own experience. I personally like the Super Carry Pro for CCW due the its carry bevel finish, alloy frame and bobbed MSH. Find a gun you can trust and are comfortable carrying every day. That is the key.

BTW, MSH is alloy as well on this gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.