1911Forum banner

First Time Traffic Stop with CCW

7K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  713832281 
#1 ·
Well I knew it would happen sometime...

Got going this morning like any other Monday and while on my way to drop off my daughter to school and then go to work,... I went into a turn lane about 10 yards too early and got directed to pull over. I have had my permit about 8 months now and have never had to inform a uniformed official that I was carrying. So,.... waiting there with my daughter (13 years old) I tell her that I have to tell the officer I have a gun with me and that this is my first time doing so. (She is well aware that I carry every day) She looks up at me with big eyes and asks if I'll be in trouble. Haha,.. I say no,.. I just have to tell him so he knows.

So,.. I get out my license and permit and as he walks up to my door I have my hands on the top of the steering wheel. ( I got out my wallet before I stopped so I would have it ready.) I felt pretty nervous because I just didn't know what to expect. When he got to my door, I told him that I was in posession of a concealed firearm while handing him my license and permit. He looked at the permit and said,.. "That's nice,.. You know why I pulled you over??" Hahaha,... Talk about making a guy feel better. Anyway,.. I got a warning for the turn I made and was told not to do it again.

So just a thank you to officers that don't make a big deal out of us carrying civilians that might feel nervous when getting pulled over. You are truly appreciated by me.

Thanks and have a good week,.. just wanted to share my experience.

See less See more
#2 ·
A lot of officers seem to grant permit holders a break. I hope that none of us get a bad additude towards an officer they choose not to grant it.

#3 ·
Well I wasn't looking for a break because I had definately cut over too early. I was just relieved that he didn't really care about the firearm. I was expecting something very different. I'm glad he let me off but more glad it was a good interaction.

#4 ·
It is a good experience. Something that generates positive goodwill and eases the "First Time" jitters.

I have yet to be stopped with a concealed weapon and license myself, however I have been tailgated a number of times already. I just take it in stride.

You did everything good.

Don't expect to be riding that permit to get off easy. (I don't however my CDL has let me out a time or two ahem...) The last time I got stopped was for a expired registration. Not a 20 day or something warning, but months. So... I paid the fine right then and it was considered a contribution.

THE REAL ISSUE is this.... ahem...

I run with a Church Group once in a great while. I always conceal carry because downtown is a bad place at night. THEY DON'T know that I carry and I usually don't take passengers. So... It's not like you have someone without a CLUE who is about to learn more about you.

If that happens, I have two words. Hands on knees (Actually three) and keep them there. DON'T REACH for anything unless specifically asked by the Officer. I cannot tell you how important the words "Dont Reach" is to both of you.

It took me months to get past the one incident in which a Officer was recorded on video saying "I will execute you."

#9 ·
No, it wasn't on school property. I was on my way to drop her off. We were just headed to the mini-mart for a coffee and a breakfast burrito.

#6 ·
Good job. Sounds like you did everything right. This year I had two small traffic incidents involving the police, and got a very friendly warning in both cases. I did not inform the officer I was carrying in either case, but since he ran my plates I am pretty sure he knew I hold CCW permits in OR and WA.

#7 ·
2 stops in 5 years.
1st was a speed trap and I gave the officer both my license and permit. No comment and I did get the ticket. (after all....that's why he was there in the first place)

2nd was a ran stop sign on a rural dirt road in the wee hours of the morning (on my way to church........really). Only other car on the road was a Deputy Sherriff. Unfortunately I had left my wallet on my dresser so I recited my DL # (short here in Colo) and I informed him that I had a permit and was carrying. He asked where my weapon was, (right hip) told me to put my hands on the wheel, checked my DL # and issued me my (well deserved) ticket. Not a word about not having my permit on me but then, our Sheriff is a big CC guy and the lack of violent crime in our county (Douglas) has probably filtered through to his deputies.
2 stops, 2 cool cops

#12 ·
So just a thank you to officers that don't make a big deal out of us carrying civilians that might feel nervous when getting pulled over. You are truly appreciated by me.
You are quite welcome. I for one am very pro 2A and appreciate it when responsible people carry firearms. And I may have given people breaks just because of that.;)

Enjoy your right to bear arms!!

#13 ·
With concealed carry becoming more and more common, it is only logical that more and more officers are not getting overly paranoid about a traffic stop with a CCW holder in the vehicle. The odds state that they are in more danger from other vehicles than from law-abiding citizens. Who knows, in another ten years, most officers won't even bat an eyelash if they pull you over and you are legally carrying. I would like to think that they might get suspicious if you were not carrying.

#15 ·
Most LEO's are very respectful if you are respectful back....ie hands open on the wheel so he can see them. I also inform them ASAP. Officer, I am legally cc a weapon it is on my right hip, what would you like me to do. Over the past 17 + years of cc, I have had 4 interactions with LEOs and all have been "thanks for letting me know and please don't reach for it and we will be ok".....It's mutual respect...I trust them they trust me :)

In my state is it legal to drop your kids off at school with a ccw in the car, however, I carry a print out of the statue in all my cars just in case kind of thing. It is legal to have a gun locked in the car in the parking lot to. I just make sure I don't ever get out of my car while on school property though! In my state your ccw is also "tagged" with your license plate so the officer knows you carry or could be before he gets near your car.

#17 ·
Seems like he was a nice guy. Luckily I have never been pulled over since I got my permit but thats got end sometime right? You got lucky though lol. Congrats on the avoided ticket!
Yep, its just a matter of time. 2 weeks ago I got pulled for the first time in over 15 years; made a bad call and wound up running a red light. I was riding my bike and had a Detective's Special in my boot. Gave him my licence and permit, told him where the gun was. The young officer was polite and profesional. It probably helped that I told him I was in the wrong. After running my licence, he asked when the last ticket I got was. When I told him the mid-90s, he laughed and said he just learned to ride a bicycle then. Got a warning, told to ride safe, not a word about the gun.
The amazing part of this tale is that it happened in Fayetteville, NC, not a town where the law has a reputation for being easy on people.

#18 ·
My only notification/traffic stop while carrying involved an Ohio State Highway Patrol at 230am. I just had dropped off a friend from going to the Drive in movies...I was coasting down a hill...it was a 25 zone...I was probably doing close to 32-35...I see the car coming at me in the adjacent lane...

Sure enough he whipped it around and lit me up...I pulled over...rolled the window down and put my hands on the steering wheel...he comes up and I notify and he asked where it was and to see my DL and CHL...no registration or insurance...now I'm a young kid and look even younger and he asked me if I had been drinking and I said no...he asks me what I was doing and where I lived...and again asked me if I had been drinking and I said, "no sir."

He asked me to get out of the vehicle and come back to his cruiser to run my DL...I get back there and he runs it and it pops up about my CHL...he said, "just be careful, its a 25 through here...get on out of here."

I pulled out and saw another trooper turn at the next street...I figure he radio'ed him, figuring it might be a DUI stop...the trooper followed me out of town...kinda surprised he didn't ask for insurance or papers...it was my dads vehicle..he did ask that, but never said anything after that.

Easy stop the way it should be, but my heart was thumping at first.

#19 ·
I was stopped less then a month after I started carrying. It was a county Sheriff out here in California but in one of the more friendly counties. It was a stupid reason he pulled me over that I won't get into cause it makes me mad every time I think about it. However the Sheriff was WAY cool about it. When he came up to the window I told him that I had a permit and was carrying. He asked where it was, told him right hip then he proceeded to tell me why he pulled me over. Never asked me for DL, insurance or carry permit. I on the other hand was a bit freaked out since I had only been carrying a short time. Over all it was a good experience. Not so sure how it will be if and when I get pulled over by LAPD or LA county sheriff but this sheriff was very cool about it.

#20 ·
i was pulled over a few weeks ago driving home after shift at 10:30 pm by a state trooper. although no longer required to do so, i informed him i had a loaded handgun in the car, and was a liscensed holder. he grinned and said, "well, lets just leave it where it is, ok?" i actually said "damn skippy, it ain't going nowhere, believe it". he wrote me out a warning and let me go home. next day i got on their website and sent a brief statement stating he was professional, courteous, etc etc and i appreciated his professionalism. 2 weeks later i get a letter from austin thanking me for my email and stating it was placed in his file. every little bit helps!

#23 ·
Good question. She normally takes the bus to and from school but that day I took her. On days that I take her, I drop her off right across the street where a crossing guard works every morning and afternoon. It is a popular spot to drop off kids due to the traffic on the street. That particular corner is also an entrance to a small housing edition so it's a good, safe place to drop her off.

#22 ·
been pulled a few times in NC with my CCW.
no big deal, but I did get some lucky breaks with
my "certified good guy card"
Now I dont get pulled - a HP officer told me the following about speeding

At 8 you're great,
At 9 you're fine,
BUT at 10 (over), you are mine!

words to live by. 150,000 miles since my last speed trap stop

#24 ·
In New Hampshire, we not required by law to inform the officer if we are carrying unless we are asked. I was stopped late one night for a broken low beam headlight and the officer asked if I had any weapons in the car (I was not carrying that night). I said no but gave him my permit to check. Just got a warning to get the light fixed.

#25 ·
One night coming home from my shift at approximately 4am I was taking a backroad and doing well over the speed limit as I was the only car on the road when i got tagged. When i stated I had a weapon she asked what kind and if she could see it. I cleared it slowly and handed her my Kimber, after asking if she could buy it from me (which i declined, but very politely) I was sent on my way on the condition that i slow down.

#26 ·
In Oregon, we are not required to tell the officer if we are carrying. My wife has a scanner and listens to it all day. When the officer runs the license plate before pulling you over, the dispatcher tells them if a registered driver has a concealed handgun license. I have never had an officer ask anything about carrying when I was pulled over.

#27 ·
Last week I went out of town to visit my parents, about a 3.5 hour trip. About 5 minutes away from arriving I get pulled over by a state trooper for speeding. He asks for my dl and insurance and I hand him my dl with chl and insurance. He went to his car and came back with a warning and just told me to slow down. Before he left he asked for directions on how to get through Houston..This was my first time being pulled over since having my chl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.