1911Forum banner

Well, I bought a Mech Tech...

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  jetsiphon 
#1 ·
Bought a new/used Mech Tech CCU today. Had a BSA red dot laying around, so it's on there now. I'd like to do a DuraCote paint job on it, but don't have that kind of money. Any suggestions on a cheaper way? Also, I'd really like to do something about the stock, I've seen the CCU with the M4 stock on it and like that, however, I'm not handy with the metal working. Any suggestions on another way to do a stock? What ammo should I feed this thing? Any other advise? So far, I love how it feels and handles.

#2 ·
1911 or Glock? And caliber?

I put the M4 on mine. I made the bracket at work during spare time with scrap parts. It works fine, but so does the factory stock with the polymer insert. I didn't care for the "tuning fork" sound the regular stock makes when fired.

Mine is 1911/.45ACP and gets 2"@50yds with 230 grn HP+P. 3-4" with 230grn Ball.

I have the BSA on the sight rail. It has worked just fine for a few years, so far.

#4 ·
With the AWB gone, you might could put a folder on it. Or, if you know someone local, a bracket for the M4 stock could be made. I think Mechtech has wood inserts/forearms if you want to go that route. The stock was the only thing I really didn't like about mine.

Actually, a bracket to fit almost any Mil rifle stock (possible exception of HK) could probably be welded to the back of the receiver.

I played around with the idea of leaving part of the stock attached to the receiver and fastening a new stock to it.

#7 ·
I too just bought one...

Well I am here to confess that I Joined the mechtech gang...
I just bought a used 10mm colt/para upper...
have not shot it yet.. but already talked to my gunsmith and
he is going to thread the barrel and install a Comp on it as
the one I recieved did not have one..

I will be in the process of modifing mine with a carbine stock
and will post the results, going to start gathering up all the
extra parts and give a list out later...

#8 ·
SuperComp9:

Mechtech will install a factory muzzle break for you, however, you really don't need one. The CCU is heavy enough that recoil is very low.

I was going to pass on re-posting a pic of mine, but I can't resist.

28" overall w/stock closed. Very comfortable to shoot even w/stock closed. Verticle forgrip, two Surefire 6P lights, Wilson 10-round mags, sight rail, BSA 40mm Dot sight, Springfield frame, extended mag release, modified ext. thumb safety.

Attachments

#14 ·
Paracord...

jetsiphon said:
1911, no plastic for me, and .45. I just ran up to the sports store and purchased a little sling for it. I don't have the inserts, so I suppose I'll have to order those. Any other suggestions for the stock other than the inserts?

I wrapped the entire stock with paracord making an "X" through the middle of the stock. Then the nylon cover went over the paracord wrap. Cut the "twang" down to nothing. Nice to have the cord in case of emergency and one can also store a few small items in the nylon cover.

Mine is in .38 Super and has the full length sight rail. A 2-6 Bushnell pistol scope is mounted scout style at the end of the barrel in Weaver seethrough mounts. Have shot groups down in the 1.5" range at 50 yards. So far no jams except with some aftermarket 20 round magazines. With stock 9 and 10 round mags there have been no jams. It also feeds 9x23 Winchester like it was made for it.

Bob

#15 ·
When I just had the standard stock on mine(with the cover), I had a zip-lock bag with the essentials inside. Socket-head wrenches and small screw drivers for take-down/maintainance, and a .45 caliber Bore Snake. And spare batteries for the Surefire and Red dot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.